361 vs 036

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poley4

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have been reading post after post on this site with people singing the praises of the 361. I have yet to run a 361, but I really like my 036 especially for felling and bucking bigger logs. I always assumed that the 361 is just a newer version of the 036, but after reading so many posts on here, I'm starting to wonder. So my question is, is there a big performance difference between these two saws?

The 361 is not a new version of the 036/360, but a totally new design, with 4- channel vs 2-channel porting, and much better anti-vibe and air filter system, etc.........

It sort of acts more like a Husky, than like a traditional Stihl......

Last edited:
The 361 is a totally different saw with similar displacement. I own both. The 361 is a little nicer saw and better anti-vibe, but I wouldn't spend the money to upgrade from a good running 036/360.

Fred

Thanks

Thanks guys for the information. I really do like the 036, but it sounds like to me that I had better not run a 361 anytime soon, or I will want one. ;)

The 361 is a totally different saw with similar displacement. I own both. The 361 is a little nicer saw and better anti-vibe, but I wouldn't spend the money to upgrade from a good running 036/360.

Fred

Totally agree. What's more, I come across great condition homeowner (very low hours) 036-pro's out here often at $325... hard to justify a new 361 against that. In fact, I just sold my neigbor a slightly used 036 pro for that very reason.

I do like my 361 though...

Last edited:

Fred

Agree.

Totally agree. What's more, I come across great condition homeowner (very low hours) 036-pro's out here often at $325... hard to justify a new 361 against that. In fact, I just sold my neigbor a slightly used 036 pro for that very reason.

I do like my 361 though...

And agree.

Fred

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :bang:

You MUST ask about his other saws. I'm certain that there's a "hole" between the 036 and some other saw that the 361 will fill. ;)

Hopefully i pulled the 361 cyl pic for you to compare.

Copyofchainsaw006.jpg

Fred

Same here. I came across a good 361 a while back and did a side to side three tank comparison with my 036. I sold the 361 on E bay.

Three of my friends are running either a 036 Pro or 360 Pro that I bought off ebay for them last year. I modified the mufflers, put new carb kits in them and they love them. For the $200 difference in current prices, I think the 036/360 Pro's are a good choice for firewood saws. I've owned and used both.

As a senior citizen with bad hands/wrists, I now have two 361's and love the anti vibe features, plus other improvements.

For me the bottom line is 'Does this saw do what I need it to do?" Case in point is I have had several 260 Pro's and none of them outperform my old muffler modified 026. It continues to blow my mind, year after year. Wouldn't surprise me if it just explodes in my hands some day, its a running fool.

Which is to say, if you have a really good performing 036/360 Pro, hang on to that baby and cherish it. And buy yourself a 361 too, because you deserve it. No one should only have a 'few' good saws. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back