362 SERIES II VS GOOD OLE' 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chashowlett

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Now that the 362 Series 2 is available what are the pros and cons of buying one over my good 361? That I absolutely adore. Especially since I paid 25 bucks for it! And is it true US saws serial numbers start with 2?1488872705219741424957.jpg

I have a 361 that's had a ton of use and it's been a fantastic saw . One of the guys that works with me bought a 362 last year and he's had it back at the dealer four or five times , software faults , something on the clutch ?
I had a shot of it and it goes well , very smooth , but I don't think I'll be buying one .

I'm refering to the series II that just came out, your experience sounds like a series I. But thanks for the info. :)

The 361 is considered by many to be the best 60cc/firewood saw ever made. The 362...mixed reviews. I would hold onto the 361 for dear life and be stocking up on spare parts or another builder/parts saw. I know I've been doing the same with 3 series huskies...it just doesn't get any better and these new saws don't interest me in the least.

You have a great 60cc saw there in that 361. What's a 362 go for, $730 or so?

Keep the 361. If you want to spend some money on saws, get something that isn't so redundant. A ported 70-80cc saw maybe, or a 50cc saw. Or a 40-50cc saw and get that 361 ported. Just my thoughts on the matter.

When the 362 first came out I handled a 362 while at a Stihl dealership. Reminded me of a big fat box with a bar sticking out. Then I had a look at the carb and would not want to be working on that...............

I've only heard good things about the 361.

I'm stihl very happy with my 036s for 60cc saws and have a stash of OEM parts to keep them going until I'm too feeble to cut wood.

All the US made (Virginia Beach, VA) Stihls I've seen have 5xxxxxxxx S/Ns. The 362s are made in the US, along with the 241s and 261s. The big saws and 201T are made in Germany.

Perspective here..

I love 361s as much as anyone..old school quad port 2 stroker..great saw , ive collected a stash of them.

But a version 2 of the 362 is more efficient and actually more torquey than a 361 with a way better air filter..i like em'..i already have one and im gonna trade for another one with about 20 hours on it in the next few weeks..my opinion.

All the US made (Virginia Beach, VA) Stihls I've seen have 5xxxxxxxx S/Ns. The 362s are made in the US, along with the 241s and 261s. The big saws and 201T are made in Germany.

Thanks for sharing the file. I'm guessing it's older...maybe? My ms391 starts with a 5 which isn't covered in that document.

The document is from 1998, and it looks like the "5" was kept as a spare number.

What you tell me makes me assume that the VB factory has "used up" the 2 - series, and have started using the "spare" 5 - series. I would have thought that they just could have added a digit to the number instead, but it doesn't look like they wanted to do that.

It is normal that all the 70cc + saws are made in Germany - unless they are older models made in Brazil.

I don't know how it is with the 201 saws (and how it was with the 200 ones).

Normally Stihl starts production of a new model (less than 70cc) in Germany a couple of years before they do at VB though - and I assume you can imagine what that could lead to, when impatient people are eager to put their hands on one....

Private import (to the US) of German made ones were particularly common with the 241, as the delay of VB production was longer than it usually is - leading to doubts if it ever was going to happen.

I recently purchased my first Stihl, an MS362 after doing lots of research. I've not yet ran a tank of gas through it, but have to say from what I've seen so far it is an awesome saw. It was throughing wood chips that looked like confetti while bucking a downed 12" pine that NOVEC conveniently put down for me and didn't grunt once. I'm looking forward to a big old oak to test its metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perspective here..

I love 361s as much as anyone..old school quad port 2 stroker..great saw , ive collected a stash of them.

But a version 2 of the 362 is more efficient and actually more torquey than a 361 with a way better air filter..i like em'..i already have one and im gonna trade for another one with about 20 hours on it in the next few weeks..my opinion.

The strato saws do seem to have more torque...460 vs. 461 for instance. But the electronic carb is what I have no interest in. I can see why they are going that route...emissions, fuel economy and theoretical reduction in top end failures due to lean mixture. But all I see is the inability for someone without diagnostic software to straighten out one of these saws when they act up. They are turning something simple into something way more complex...kinda like they did with flippy caps :dumb2:

What about the 362 is not as good? Never ran a 361 or an 036 but my 362 does well for me.Not trying to start something.I just want to know.
I've never seen a 362 that really wowed me. Perhaps they're out there, but I've not seen one. Of course, that's just my opinion of how I like a saw to run.

Latest posts

Back