365 Special- opened up the muffler and now she wont crank

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRTimberCO

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was feeling brave this afternoon so I pulled the muffler off my old Husqvarna 365 special. I clean off the exhaust port and lightly polished it with some fine grit sandpaper. Next I drilled a 5/16 hole on the right side to let it breath a little better. Now it wont crank. I tried adjusting the high and low on the carburetor but no dice. I did notice they were already both as far open (counter clockwise) as they would go before I moved them. I believe it is flooding because after it sits a few minutes it will crank and run at the high rev. Give it a little gas to let it idle down and she cuts off and won't crank back. Where do I go from here or is that going to be straight to the saw shop? Thanks

Last edited:
I have no experience with that brand but I would start searching this forum for a thread that describes the OEM settings on your carb. I don't believe any saw should be maxed out on the settings. Other than that good luck!

does it still have the limiter caps on the adj screws??

That I don't know or know how to tell. I gave it a little throttle and drop cranked it and it runs. I tighten down the idle screw a little and it will stay running. Just to check and see I moved both the high and low settings but it had little effect. This is running without the the bar and chain mind you. At 3/4+ throttle it did rev up a little when I leaned out the H setting but I figured I better adjust on that when it's got some tension against it. I'm letting it cool down right now and we'll see if it cranks back in a few more minutes. Thanks for the replies so far.

That I don't know or know how to tell. I gave it a little throttle and drop cranked it and it runs. I tighten down the idle screw a little and it will stay running. Just to check and see I moved both the high and low settings but it had little effect. This is running without the the bar and chain mind you. At 3/4+ throttle it did rev up a little when I leaned out the H setting but I figured I better adjust on that when it's got some tension against it. I'm letting it cool down right now and we'll see if it cranks back in a few more minutes. Thanks for the replies so far.

I'd suggest putting a bar on it to try & tune it. Keep us posted.

I put a 20 inch bar and a not so sharp chain on the saw and cut a piece of firewood into as many chunks as I safely could. I moved the H and L adjustments around but never did notice a significant change wherever they were. Now this is my first time trying to adjust a chainsaw but does that not seem odd?

How was it running b4 you opened the muffler?, how did you clean the exhaust port,(did you pull the head) if not did you make sure NOT to get any grit from the exhaust port cleanup onto the piston or into the cylinder?, how much total adjustment do you have on your mix screws (1/2 to 3/4 total on each w/limiters, unlimited without), is the plug gapped properly and how did it look b4 you did your mod (white, black, dark brown, light brown) when was the last time you ran the saw b4 the mods, did it sit awhile, weeks , months, is the mix fresh, you have to eliminate these things and figure out whats going on, could be as simple as bad gas or a bad plug, let us know.

If the heads of the carb adjustment screws look like plastic caps that will only turn less than a full circle of adjustment, those would be limiters. If they are not there, I would turn the H and L screws all the way in (clockwise) then turn each one counter-clockwise about 1 1\8 turn each as a starting point and make very small adjustments as needed.

How was it running b4 you opened the muffler?, how did you clean the exhaust port,(did you pull the head) if not did you make sure NOT to get any grit from the exhaust port cleanup onto the piston or into the cylinder?, how much total adjustment do you have on your mix screws (1/2 to 3/4 total on each w/limiters, unlimited without), is the plug gapped properly and how did it look b4 you did your mod (white, black, dark brown, light brown) when was the last time you ran the saw b4 the mods, did it sit awhile, weeks , months, is the mix fresh, you have to eliminate these things and figure out whats going on, could be as simple as bad gas or a bad plug, let us know.

Ok here's the deal with the saw- I found it in a ditch the Friday before Thanksgiving. It appeared to be left by a utility company or one of their contractors. I put it behind a tree to keep one of the local crackheads from stealing it and left. When I got off work I went back by and it was still there. I put it in the truck and hung a note in the tree that said "I have your saw" with my phone number on it. After a month and a half of no calls I carried it to my local saw shop and had them run it through there data bases looking for the owner. Nothing came up. Bob smiles at me and says "Congradulatins, you've got a new saw. If anybody trys to claim you stole it tell them to call me". It cranks and revs but that's about all I can tell you about it.

I took all the covers off and blew it out real good with an air hose and son this thing was nasty and neglected. I replace the missing felling dogs and most of the missing screws. I had to drill and re-tap one of the dog screws. The screw that went back in it is actually a Daytona screw from a Nascar Camping World Truck series truck but thats another story altogether. Yeah I'm a racer but I'm a chassis guy. I can set them up and make them turn but I'm mostly lost under the hood once you get passed the filters. Since I already have great running 372XP that I do all my felling and bucking with I figuered this 365 would be a good one to play with, learn how these things run and maybe soup up a little. If I roast the engine I'm only out the parts to fix it which would lead to further modifications.

I pulled the muffler off and the port was dark brown/ black and kind of greasey feeling but not much carbon build up at all. I sprayed the port down with Breakfree CLP that was handy. I litely sanded the port with 120 grit sandpaper, probably only enough to shine it a little but not enough to really smooth polish it. No I wasn't real careful not to get any grit down in the cylinder but no more than I did I don't think much at all got in. I rinsed it back off with CLP again and rubbed it down with a paper towel. I drilled a 5/16 hole toward the top of the muffler on the chain side. It seems pretty small but I figured i could always go bigger later if I wanted to. Since I idled the motor up a bit it is cranking a little rough and running ok but I'm confident it is atleast somewhat out of tune. The H and L tuning screws turn prabably 1/2-2/3 of a turn if that helps. Where ever you put them doesn't significantly change the way the saw runs. I've been running AVgas in my saws for a couple years now and this is the first time it has ever been run through this saw. That's about all I can tell you about it.

Sounds like you still have the limiters. Often they have to be removed and carb re-adjusted after a muffler mod. I have not done one on this model.........yet, but I am pretty sure those limiters will have to go for you to get proper adjustment.

Ok here's the deal with the saw- I found it in a ditch the Friday before Thanksgiving. It appeared to be left by a utility company or one of their contractors. I put it behind a tree to keep one of the local crackheads from stealing it and left. When I got off work I went back by and it was still there. I put it in the truck and hung a note in the tree that said "I have your saw" with my phone number on it. After a month and a half of no calls I carried it to my local saw shop and had them run it through there data bases looking for the owner. Nothing came up. Bob smiles at me and says "Congradulatins, you've got a new saw. If anybody trys to claim you stole it tell them to call me". It cranks and revs but that's about all I can tell you about it.

I took all the covers off and blew it out real good with an air hose and son this thing was nasty and neglected. I replace the missing felling dogs and most of the missing screws. I had to drill and re-tap one of the dog screws. The screw that went back in it is actually a Daytona screw from a Nascar Camping World Truck series truck but thats another story altogether. Yeah I'm a racer but I'm a chassis guy. I can set them up and make them turn but I'm mostly lost under the hood once you get passed the filters. Since I already have great running 372XP that I do all my felling and bucking with I figuered this 365 would be a good one to play with, learn how these things run and maybe soup up a little. If I roast the engine I'm only out the parts to fix it which would lead to further modifications.

I pulled the muffler off and the port was dark brown/ black and kind of greasey feeling but not much carbon build up at all. I sprayed the port down with Breakfree CLP that was handy. I litely sanded the port with 120 grit sandpaper, probably only enough to shine it a little but not enough to really smooth polish it. No I wasn't real careful not to get any grit down in the cylinder but no more than I did I don't think much at all got in. I rinsed it back off with CLP again and rubbed it down with a paper towel. I drilled a 5/16 hole toward the top of the muffler on the chain side. It seems pretty small but I figured i could always go bigger later if I wanted to. Since I idled the motor up a bit it is cranking a little rough and running ok but I'm confident it is atleast somewhat out of tune. The H and L tuning screws turn prabably 1/2-2/3 of a turn if that helps. Where ever you put them doesn't significantly change the way the saw runs. I've been running AVgas in my saws for a couple years now and this is the first time it has ever been run through this saw. That's about all I can tell you about it.

I blew a filthy saw out one time that ran before I did it and could'nt get it to run after. So I started looking and the little hole in the diaphram cover of the carb let alot of dust get in there and the diaphram could'nt move there for it would not run. I figured out a lesson the hard way which I was'nt to proud of...not saying this is your problem but ya never know. It could be running lean also from the stops on the carbs screws also...

It'll prolly be a good idea to run a compression check before you go any further. These saws usually run in the 130 - 150 psi range.
If you're running AVgas then it's prolly not running rich enough. Pull the limmit caps on the screws by threading a wood screw in them. Them pull them off. Turn both screws in till lightly seated, turn each one out 1 1/8-1 1/4 turns as a starting point.

I carried the 365 to the woods today and ran a tank through it cutting tree tops and big oak limbs into firewood. I choked it and it sputtered on the first pull, pushed the choke off and it cranked on the second. I didn't mess with taking the limiters off yet but it felt like it as running fine. Do you think I should take the limiters off and tune on it or leave well enough alone? I think I already know the answer to this question.

You found my SAW!!!! Nah just kidding, I took the limiters off my 362xp, your saws lil brother, and re-tuned it. Much better to tune when you have COMPLETE control. Don't worry about not knowing the under hood area. I like making cars go fast in a straight line, who needs to turn?

Today I went ahead and redrilled the hole in the muffler out to 3/8ths of an inch. Then I removed the limiter from the High setting but left the Low alone. I don't really know why. I guess I was a little intimidated to jack with it too much. I screwed the HIgh it in until it closed and it made one full turn. I screwed it back out to 1 1/4 turn. I guess pulling the limiter off the Low wouldn't hurt anything. The saw seems cranks and runs fine. I bucked a couple thousand feet of saw logs without any hicups. Thanks for the help guys.

Just like a good neighbor ArboristSite is there:yoyo:

Today I went ahead and redrilled the hole in the muffler out to 3/8ths of an inch. Then I removed the limiter from the High setting but left the Low alone. I don't really know why. I guess I was a little intimidated to jack with it too much. I screwed the HIgh it in until it closed and it made one full turn. I screwed it back out to 1 1/4 turn. I guess pulling the limiter off the Low wouldn't hurt anything. The saw seems cranks and runs fine. I bucked a couple thousand feet of saw logs without any hicups. Thanks for the help guys.

So what did the problem end up being...just curious.

So what did the problem end up being...just curious.

Honestly I'm not sure. I don't know if it wasn't getting enough fuel but it acted more like it was flooding. Maybe the plug was fouled by the CLP. I just know know.

Are you tuning it to 4-stroke @ WOT by ear? Does the saw have a limited coil? Simply turning it to 1 1/4 turns out on the high is vague to me.

Waylan

Honestly I'm not sure. I don't know if it wasn't getting enough fuel but it acted more like it was flooding. Maybe the plug was fouled by the CLP. I just know know.

Fouled plugs have been known to ruin a guys adventure lol.;)

Back