365 special won't richen up on low side

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyo

Youtube Speciawist
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Ok, thoughts and differential diagnosis needed.

I have a freshly rebuilt 365 special, decked, ported, new bearings and seals. carb has been cleaned. (and has plenty of fuel in it when I pull the carb cap ...its a zama) ...

so... the low idle screw will lean out the saw if I screw it in, but past about 1.25 turns out... to 4 turns out, does not richen up the saw. ...there is significant hesitation off idle no matter what I do ....

what are we thinking..... massive air leak?

saw starts fine, no issue there.

guess I should pressure and vac test...just hate doing that... other thoughts?

it's the zama. i like walbro's and tilly's cause their pump side is overkill for the metering side. with zama the pump is more closely matched to the metering side but then if the pump becomes weak it will not feed the fuel needed for the metering side to fuel the engine. raising the metering lever from spec only masks the real problem which is a weak pump due to stiff pump diapragm or a restricted fuel pickup. IMO a saw with that carb has a new carb cost less value because of it but that's just cause i really hate those carbs. i'd rather see a chinese copy of the walbro on these then a zama.

Mattyo, did you get the Zama or Walbro copys? Some of the Walbro copys turn out to be built like a Zama inside. I had issues with some of these being too rich.
You can mod the Zama copys to run more fuel since you've performance tuned your saw....will give you some torque!!

Back