365 to 372 conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lanedrew

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a husky 365 special OE that I think I want to convert to a 372 top end, new cylinder, Piston, modded muffler, and a HD air filter with high top, would it be worth throwing a ported 372 cylinder on it? I’ve always wanted to have a ported saw, I have many many saws but have just done basic mods like muffler mods, base gasket deletes, etc…, I’ve never ported a cylinder, I’m pretty capable and blessed to have many skills but I’d be afraid to mess up a brand new top end trying to do some mild port work on it, anyone have any advice? Thank you much!

Attachments

• 96176D99-BC96-4277-9A2E-77AC7DF81FE2.jpeg
    96176D99-BC96-4277-9A2E-77AC7DF81FE2.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 24
I'm not totally sure but I believe that the "Special" 365 is already a 50mm bore which is the same as the 372xp. You could certainly measure it through the exhaust port.
This model has been around for awhile so you could send the jug and piston off (or the whole saw) to a well respected porter and do the installation of it yourself.
You would probably have to measure the squish at a minimum before removing the cylinder though.
As far as porting it yourself you could purchase a knock of for 30.00 $ and go to town! If you mess it up your out 30 instead of 150.00 but that just personal preference.
RESEARCH anyone who you send your stuff to ,the due diligence of this cannot be overstated , ask for references and timelines and dont except BS answers.

I'm not totally sure but I believe that the "Special" 365 is already a 50mm bore which is the same as the 372xp. You could certainly measure it through the exhaust port.
This model has been around for awhile so you could send the jug and piston off (or the whole saw) to a well respected porter and do the installation of it yourself.
You would probably have to measure the squish at a minimum before removing the cylinder though.
As far as porting it yourself you could purchase a knock of for 30.00 $ and go to town! If you mess it up your out 30 instead of 150.00 but that just personal preference.
RESEARCH anyone who you send your stuff to ,the due diligence of this cannot be overstated , ask for references and timelines and dont except BS answers.
Appreciate the advice! I think this saw is a regular 48mm, I believe being a “special” means it has a closed port cylinder opposed to open port

Appreciate the advice! I think this saw is a regular 48mm, I believe being a “special” means it has a closed port cylinder opposed to open port
Just port it as-is with the current top end. My brother has a ported 365 Special that absolutely rips, and if ya screw up then buy the 372 kit.

Raise the exhaust port and arch it, lower the intake port. I rough in then polish the ports. How much you raise and lower the port is up to you.

Measure squish, delete or skinny up gasket to get as close to .020" as you can, raise ports by however much that dropped the cylinder & widen them by about .050" (a bit less for a smaller cylinder), smooth up transfers, polish exhaust & match exhaust port & muffler inlet.
Make sure there's still a slight bevel on the edges of the ports.
Not the wildest of port jobs but combined with a MM it makes for some reasonable & reliable gains in my limited experience

In the USA could be one of the differences. The only consensus I've found is the chain adjustment screw on the side rather than on the front of the saw.

Tom.
I'll grab a light and a scrench later today and peek in my brother's 372 and 365 SP. I'll report back what I see.

In the USA could be one of the differences. The only consensus I've found is the chain adjustment screw on the side rather than on the front of the saw.

Tom.
The original 365 was an open port. A 365 special in the states is a closed port. That’s what gave it the ‘special’ designation. Are you sure yours doesn’t just have a ‘special’ recoil sticker or is it possible that someone swapped cylinders? I suppose it’s possible that they were leftovers that got sold post-production there and that’s what they put on them

I have a decent 365xt and a well run 371 xp. I think both will run neck n neck. Maybe the edge going with the 371.

If I ever had to do it all over the 350, 266se, 365, 371, 570, 385, 2100 would be my top saws. I listen to my son still cutting up stuff.

The original 365 was an open port. A 365 special in the states is a closed port. That’s what gave it the ‘special’ designation. Are you sure yours doesn’t just have a ‘special’ recoil sticker or is it possible that someone swapped cylinders? I suppose it’s possible that they were leftovers that got sold post-production there and that’s what they put on them
Yeah certain. It has the plate stating '365 sp' and I've seen others with the same open port cylinder. Looking up the number on the mechanic database verified it being a special. Not so special afterall :) Also has the side adjuster which I believe came along with the 'special' branding.

Back