372 is a gas hog

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fuel tank on a 372 is 1.62 pints, 4 gallons is 32 pints so thats just shy of 20 tanks, or under 2 tanks per hour for 11 hours. Sounds totally believable to me, sounds like a dang tough day though. you went through more gas that one day than I have all year so far.

Thanks for the figures mate. 2 tanks an hour is easy to do! Easy...

I assume that's the ported 372 Evan?
If a ported 372 is putting out similar power to an 85cc saw, then it will drink accordingly and possibly some more, add to that a 32" bar and long hours.
If the saw is running just a tad rich, that will add up by the end of the day.
Need to fine tune the hours a bit to come up with a more realistic figure taking in to account the other saws.

On another note, I work a 12-13 hour day, but when I look at the hour meter, the machine may have only done something like 9-10 hours!

Last edited:
My ported MS460 did not even go though 2 gallons cutting down a monstrous oak, the 28" bar only went 2/3 of the way thru the trunk.

i didnt run the other two saws, the 372 was screamin all day long seemed like i was fueling the tank ever dang five minutes

camera is chargeing so i can revover the pics and vids in about 30 minutes.

i was bounceing the H back anbd forth id think it sound lean in the cut then after go a hair richer it would seem rich took me alittle while to set it and leave it alone.

these are cell pics of the trailer load racks are 4ft
1026091658-00.jpg

1026091648-00.jpg

i realy couldnt belive it used that much but this is the first trip were its been put to work. camera died before i could get a pic of the big rds and noodles coating the entire rd. the 372 had noodles packed all the way out past the dawgs. i tried hard doing brad techigue of holding the saw up and keepn it along wasy from the wood. basicaly tryn to throw the noodles under the chain case.

my 044 isnt near this thirsty and the 372 doesnt have any fuel leaks also with my ported stihl bar its pretty thirsty for bar oil i like it lots i realy like seeing it slober out the bar oil .

lately ive had thoughts of looking into 14k dump bed goose kneck trailer. with my bumper pull loaded like this its far to tounge heave i wouldnt want to tow it loaded like this with a single wheel truck

Last edited:
i didnt run the other two saws, the 372 was screamin all day long seemed like i was fueling the tank ever dang five minutes

camera is chargeing so i can revover the pics and vids in about 30 minutes.

i was bounceing the H back anbd forth id think it sound lean in the cut then after go a hair richer it would seem rich took me alittle while to set it and leave it alone.

these are cell pics of the trailer load racks are 4ft
1026091658-00.jpg

1026091648-00.jpg

i realy couldnt belive it used that much but this is the first trip were its been put to work. camera died before i could get a pic of the big rds and noodles coating the entire rd. the 372 had noodles packed all the way out past the dawgs. i tried hard doing brad techigue of holding the saw up and keepn it along wasy from the wood. basicaly tryn to throw the noodles under the chain case.

my 044 isnt near this thirsty and the 372 doesnt have any fuel leaks also with my ported stihl bar its pretty thirsty for bar oil i like it lots i realy like seeing it slober out the bar oil .

lately ive had thoughts of looking into 14k dump bed goose kneck trailer. with my bumper pull loaded like this its far to tounge heave i wouldnt want to tow it loaded like this with a single wheel truck

Looks good Evan.

Set that trailer up with some load leveling sway bars, Travel trailers use them, makes it way better!!!!!!!!! My travel trailer has them and its awesome!!!! You should really look into it, its allot safer!

attachment.php

i just built a set on 24 foot toy hauler inclosed trailer. they did seem to make huge difrence. it was my freind leavn for alaska we fabbed up mounts on the trailer that are quick atached on through 2" reciver tube and traingulated into the tounge. the truck and trailer is fully loaded and on its way to alaska he says the load stabilizer are awesome.

ive though about doing it on my trialer but i dont know that its practical. maybe for long trips but usualy the trailer is towed all around town moveing equipment to here and there an back and unhooked a bunch of times in day

Thats amazing!!

I haven't been able to burn more than 3 gallons in a day, well 8 hours and about 50 thousand feet cut with a muffler modded 660/20'' bar...

my 372 that i had with opened & widened intake & exhaust ports with no base gasket at less than 3000 feet would go through about 1 1/3 gallons on a normal 20000 foot day.

Really seems like wayyy too much for a 71cc chainsaw.

I wonder what kind of affect the bar length and also wood type have on fuel consumption..

i just built a set on 24 foot toy hauler inclosed trailer. they did seem to make huge difrence. it was my freind leavn for alaska we fabbed up mounts on the trailer that are quick atached on through 2" reciver tube and traingulated into the tounge. the truck and trailer is fully loaded and on its way to alaska he says the load stabilizer are awesome.

ive though about doing it on my trialer but i dont know that its practical. maybe for long trips but usualy the trailer is towed all around town moveing equipment to here and there an back and unhooked a bunch of times in day

Its practical. Easy to hookup, the common kind, just slid up into a hole in the receiver(special receiver needed), you hold them out to the side push up in and turn back in and they lock in, takes me 2 mins to do, and make trailing way better and safer. Its really worth it, you can buy a whole setup online or go to a trailer store, its not that much money.

Thats amazing!!

I haven't been able to burn more than 3 gallons in a day, well 8 hours and about 50 thousand feet cut with a muffler modded 660/20'' bar...

my 372 that i had with opened & widened intake & exhaust ports with no base gasket at less than 3000 feet would go through about 1 1/3 gallons on a normal 20000 foot day.

Really seems like wayyy too much for a 71cc chainsaw.

I wonder what kind of affect the bar length and also wood type have on fuel consumption..

He's also bucking the whole trees into rounds and doing noodling, the saw is getting used way more then your typical falling job.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid661.photobucket.com/albums/uu339/Evan03_photo/GEDC1439.flv">

my 460 is the biggest gas hog I have and the most I've burned was less than a 2.5 gallon jug in a day of cutting tops from the property ajoining mine that was logged a few years back. all I can say is my ass was draggin just burnin a couple of gallons.

Bar size is one of the biggest contributing factors to fuel use. If you used say a 460 for 9 hours with a 20" bar buried and the same saw with a 32" bar buried I wouldn't be surprised if that saw used 80% more fuel. Could be about the percentage wrong but it will use significantly more in the same time frame.

I can quote my fuel usage with my 7900's when tree felling as I have to log fuel usage to claim back later with tax. I know exactly what I use per day. I generally use no less than 5.5 gallons per weekend

Bar size is one of the biggest contributing factors to fuel use. If you used say a 460 for 9 hours with a 20" bar buried and the same saw with a 32" bar buried I wouldn't be surprised if that saw used 80% more fuel. Could be about the percentage wrong but it will use significantly more in the same time frame.

I can quote my fuel usage with my 7900's when tree felling as I have to log fuel usage to claim back later with tax. I know exactly what I use per day. I generally use no less than 5.5 gallons per weekend
makes perfect sense to me the biggest bar I have is a 20 and its rarely buried unless its a black gum and they are soft. some of the logged tops would go close to 20 but most of my firewood is 18 and under and with no help its not like the saws running for 8 hrs anyway. It would be cool just to saw all day and have someone loading tho.
nice score there Evan

Evan,
Is that Lodgepole you are cutting?? I thought I saw some of that in there. Anyway, I have a 372 and when I cut standing dead lodgepole I tend to go through more a lot more gas then if I'm cutting something like the piss fir. I bucked up some white fir for a neighbor not too long ago and that fir seemed to cut a lot easier used a lot less gas or so it seemed.

My ported ms 460 is pretty easy on fuel, compared to your 372. I can run it hard, for an 8 hour day, and just barely use 2 1/2 gallons. My 038 mag....well.....lets just say 4 gallons would be NO PROBLEM....that thing like's it.

My 394 and Dads 084 are suckin the gas down while buckin and noodling the oak we are working on right now. 2 tanks in hardly no time.
Finally got to put the 394 in oak big enough to burry the bar, and I am extremely happy with this saw and the 24"
Oiler decided not to work on my 371 so I didnt get to run it today.:cry:

P.S. I hate dial up, takes forever, And I really wanna see Evans saw run.

looks like its going to be awhile to see the vids, photo bucket says i exsceeded the bandwidth for the free acount

Latest posts

Back