372 question ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlaplant

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have always used Stihl saws and liked them but I got a good deal on a Husky 372 so I thought I would try it . I was cutting with the 372 and my old 044 . The 372 definitely cut faster but I could bog it down pretty easy while cutting if I forced it . The 044 wasn't quite as fast but seemed to have more power . My question is . Is it normal for Huskys to run at higher RPMs and Stihls to have more tork ?

Do both saws have the same size sprocket? Both the 372 and 044 are incredible saws and a real pleasure to work on and modify as well.
John

I have owned both of these saws and I can say without reservation that the 372 is faster and has a wider power curve AKA more stump power, torque, etc? Is the 372 tuned properly and in good mechanical condition?
FWIW I think people associate Huskys as reving higher because their exhaust not is higher pitched than a Stihl. In relaity I think the cut at around the same RPM.

Husky saws rev up faster and that is why most spacers use them. I always remember the diff. between an 038mag2 and a 266xp I had back in 1988, after that I quit using Stihls unless climbing. It is generally known that Stihls have more bottom end pull. Nothing wrong with either manufacturers pro saw models over the years, just a couple of stinkers.

clearance said:
Husky saws rev up faster and that is why most spacers use them. I always remember the diff. between an 038mag2 and a 266xp I had back in 1988, after that I quit using Stihls unless climbing. It is generally known that Stihls have more bottom end pull. Nothing wrong with either manufacturers pro saw models over the years, just a couple of stinkers.
Hi Clearance, the 266 was the first saw that I ever used and I had at least 6 of them while working on spacing crews, but that was in 1981. We ran them a bit on the lean side and WOT too!:blob2: We did get good at putting new rings and clutch springs in though.
Speaking of the 266, I wished that single ring piston would fit in the 372, but alas, even though it's a 50mm piston it has taller skirts and a higher piston dome, plus windows that the 372 piston doesn't't have.:bang: Otherwise, it could be a real firecracker.:cry:
John

372XP Torque

OP you will find that after some break-in time your 372XP will run a little stronger.

When I saw tork .. I thought what a dorque.......
same size sprockets so thats not it ...
I will get a tac from one of the guys at work tomorrow . Maybe my ear isn't as good as I think it is .
BTW I bought both saws used and never ran a new one that size so I don't know what to expect . I am thinking they both need a little fine tuning .but it sure is fun playin with them ...
Thanks

Gypo Logger said:
Hi Clearance, the 266 was the first saw that I ever used and I had at least 6 of them while working on spacing crews, but that was in 1981. We ran them a bit on the lean side and WOT too!:blob2: We did get good at putting new rings and clutch springs in though.
Speaking of the 266, I wished that single ring piston would fit in the 372, but alas, even though it's a 50mm piston it has taller skirts and a higher piston dome, plus windows that the 372 piston doesn't't have.:bang: Otherwise, it could be a real firecracker.:cry:
John

John, do you need a single ring 372 piston? My local dealer stocks them and they are about 37-38 bucks. They are the non EPA version. I can get you the part # or order a bunch if you need them. I bought it originally cause it was cheaper, then thought, wow, less resistance....:laugh:

Steve

Back