372 xP x-torq tuning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nkila220

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I don't have a tach yet and I know everything from the factory is lean. So I was wondering if turning the high speed out to the limiter would get it rich enough to be in the 12,800 area? Saw hasn't even seen wood yet and I'm afraid to run it untill I get the carb sorted out. Thanks guys.

Sounds like a new saw? Congrats! The xt saws are a little leaner than the non xt saws, but not enough to warrant worry. They skate closer to the danger zone, but on a well functioning saw it won't be an issue. A slight air leak will result in disaster faster though since there is less margin, but on a new saw shouldn't be a problem. Just run it!

If you're really worried, richening up the high speed won't hurt. Once you have a tach you can check where you're at, but with limiters you'll have to defeat them to get any sort of range for adjustment.

My XT likes to be a little fat on the low side and just slightly 4 stroke at WOT

Thanks for the reply guys!
This is what the plug looks like. Does it look lean to you?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 53
Sounds like a new saw? Congrats! The xt saws are a little leaner than the non xt saws, but not enough to warrant worry. They skate closer to the danger zone, but on a well functioning saw it won't be an issue. A slight air leak will result in disaster faster though since there is less margin, but on a new saw shouldn't be a problem. Just run it!

If you're really worried, richening up the high speed won't hurt. Once you have a tach you can check where you're at, but with limiters you'll have to defeat them to get any sort of range for adjustment.
Yea new saw. Just picked it up this past friday. Have not gotten to cut anything with it yet though. lol

Yes, run it some more... When at WOT ALlift it every so often and listen for some 4 stroking.... Looks good to me.
Will do! Should i stay at 50:1? or start mixing closer to 40:1 once i use up the canned fuel i got when i bought it? Or am i gona have to mess with the carb in order to do 40:1?

I'm r
What ratio you running?
50:1 right now because I'm running the husqvarna xP canned fuel. I bought a few cans to get an extended warranty.
When I get done with that I was thinking about making my mix at 40:1 for everything from my saws to my backpack blower.

Check this out, it might help you. I also dont have a tach yet and I just tuned my 372 after doing a muffler mod. In the video you can see and hear me testing for the proper sound of a good rpm range. This is done by cutting and then quickly lifting the saw slightly so as to "unweight" it or not put any load on it. It should 4 stroke while being unweighted, and that is the sign of a good tune. The 4 stroking is very important in telling you if you are too lean or too rich. The saw should 4 stroke at full throttle with no load as well. If it's a little boggy, lean it up by an 1/8th turn or so, and if it struggles to 4 stroke, richen it up quick! The tune in the video is where I decided that the saw was at a healthy rpm, so I havent made any changes since. I hope this helps, and here's the video

As a side note, Brad Snelling suggested to me that I run my fuel mix around the mid 30's:1, because the bearings require a little more oil. I run 33:1 for my 372. A little more oil never hurts!

Check this out, it might help you. I also dont have a tach yet and I just tuned my 372 after doing a muffler mod. In the video you can see and hear me testing for the proper sound of a good rpm range. This is done by cutting and then quickly lifting the saw slightly so as to "unweight" it or not put any load on it. It should 4 stroke while being unweighted, and that is the sign of a good tune. The 4 stroking is very important in telling you if you are too lean or too rich. The saw should 4 stroke at full throttle with no load as well. If it's a little boggy, lean it up by an 1/8th turn or so, and if it struggles to 4 stroke, richen it up quick! The tune in the video is where I decided that the saw was at a healthy rpm, so I havent made any changes since. I hope this helps, and here's the video

As a side note, Brad Snelling suggested to me that I run my fuel mix around the mid 30's:1, because the bearings require a little more oil. I run 33:1 for my 372. A little more oil never hurts!

I'm gona have to make some cuts today and try this! Thanks!

Ran it for about 15 min. This is what te plug looks like. I'm out as far as I can go on the screws. I'm not happy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    753.3 KB · Views: 37
Ran it for about 15 min. This is what te plug looks like. I'm out as far as I can go on the screws. I'm not happy.

That looks fine. What aren't you happy about? It's set up from the factory to run and it does. You've had it 15 minutes, barely enough to break the rings in, and you're not happy?? Sounds more like buyer's remorse than a real problem.

That looks fine. What aren't you happy about? It's set up from the factory to run and it does. You've had it 15 minutes, barely enough to break the rings in, and you're not happy?? Sounds more like buyer's remorse than a real problem.
Yea set to run too lean. I'm sure the "4 stroking" I'm hearing is just it bouncing off the rev limiter.

You have the tool to adjust them? I think it's the 11 tooth spline

That plug looks perfect. If the saw is brand new it'll take quite a few tanks to break in. Usually 10 tanks from what I hear. You should take a video so we can hear the saw. Make sure when your breaking it in that you run a full tank through it, and then let the saw cool completely before using it again

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back