372 xP x-torq tuning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That plug looks perfect. If the saw is brand new it'll take quite a few tanks to break in. Usually 10 tanks from what I hear. You should take a video so we can hear the saw. Make sure when your breaking it in that you run a full tank through it, and then let the saw cool completely before using it again

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
I'll make a video later tonight if it's still light out when I get home!

You have the tool to adjust them? I think it's the 11 tooth spline
Is this spline tool you are referring to bypass the limiter rings somehow? Because there is a screwdriver slot right there but ive been reading that the ring around the outside of the needle is actually the limiter? So is that tool you are talking about, something that can bypass the limiter? Im getting pretty confused right now. lol. Thanks all you guys for putting up with my dumb questions.

I just dealt with those stupid limiters. They are soft metal and break off really easy by prying them with a flathead screwdriver. Break em off! Then you will be able to adjust your carb properly with only a flat screwdriver. You only need to use a spline tool with the home owner/consumer saws, not a pro saw like a 372. And no worries man, a forum is meant for lots of questions! :)

I just dealt with those stupid limiters. They are soft metal and break off really easy by prying them with a flathead screwdriver. Break em off! Then you will be able to adjust your carb properly with only a flat screwdriver. You only need to use a spline tool with the home owner/consumer saws, not a pro saw like a 372. And no worries man, a forum is meant for lots of questions! :)
Thanks man! Appreciate the positive attitude :)
So how exactly do you get in there to pry them out?? do i need to tale the jets out of the carb??

First you're gonna want to remove your carb so you can properly get at the limiters. Then you'll notice that the limiters have a small edge to them that is easily gripped by the screwdriver. Pry each one up until you can grab it with some needle nose pliers. I wouldn't pry too hard because you don't want to break the screws in any way, but if you keep lightly prying then eventually the limiter will break or fall out. Patience is key or you will break something for sure. Then make sure your carb is clean before putting it back together

First you're gonna want to remove your carb so you can properly get at the limiters. Then you'll notice that the limiters have a small edge to them that is easily gripped by the screwdriver. Pry each one up until you can grab it with some needle nose pliers. I wouldn't pry too hard because you don't want to break the screws in any way, but if you keep lightly prying then eventually the limiter will break or fall out. Patience is key or you will break something for sure. Then make sure your carb is clean before putting it back together
Well looks like this brand new saw is going to turn into an $800 science project. Haha. Btw here is a better picture of the plug. Why is one side darker then the other?image.jpg

nkila, I'm following this thread with interest as I am also considering to buy a 372 (or 576) very soon. And I totally understand your desire to getting running well and keeping it maintained.

But (I am not criticizing, mind you) I just want to ask those giving tips here, is concerning oneself with so much from the get-go normal and/or expected? I just wonder if inspecting the plug and already removing limiters by way of carb removal on a saw that has probably only run a couple tanks (at most) is standard procedure? Also, does removing the limiters affect the warranty? I mean, do all owners of new saws need go through this? Or if they don't do so are they being unwise?

As I said, I'm not looking to criticize, I just want to know what's the best way to go. And again nkila, I want to see you get your saw running good, but is it possible you are over-worrying?

Yes it looks good. Clearly pro saws come with limiters so not sure what that ment but I just usually trim the limiters but the 372xt it seems to be pretty happy where I leave it so I don't know what else to tell ya?! Keep tuning and I would leave it where you have it for now, run a few more tanks of 40:1 through it then pull the plug and see. If you haven't switch fuel now to 40:1 and don't waste all this tuning time. Just my .02

The limiters are there by design from the EPA, to prevent excessive emissions while running rich. But- they also prevent the user from tuning the saw too lean and scoring the piston.
They can be defeated with a small exacto knife. Doing so will allow greater range of tuning but 99% or people on here do that AFTER they have made a modification such as hogging out the muffler opening, or doing port work to the cylinder. These mods often require running more fuel to match the increased air flow.
The OP is looking to add more fuel because he's likely a keyboard ninja who has spent too much time reading stories about the 372xp x-torq and that it is set to run lean from the factory and is worried it will shorten the life of his saw if he runs it as is. This worry and effort isn't the norm. You can't even read a plug with 15 minutes on it.
My advice is use the saw- if you have problems that the dealer can't help you with post them, otherwise enjoy your new purchase.

^This sounds wise. If your saw is brand new then you should have warranty for a while. Taking the limiters off won't hurt if you don't mess with the screws too much, but for the most part just get the saw broken in and then fiddle with the carb. I wouldn't worry about your plug. Don't get me wrong, I love helping out, so if you have any more questions don't be scared to ask, but for now you don't sweat it. You could still post a video just for fun!

^This sounds wise. If your saw is brand new then you should have warranty for a while. Taking the limiters off won't hurt if you don't mess with the screws too much, but for the most part just get the saw broken in and then fiddle with the carb. I wouldn't worry about your plug. Don't get me wrong, I love helping out, so if you have any more questions don't be scared to ask, but for now you don't sweat it. You could still post a video just for fun!
Thanks man! I appreciate it! You guys have helped me feel alot better!

The limiters are there by design from the EPA, to prevent excessive emissions while running rich. But- they also prevent the user from tuning the saw too lean and scoring the piston.
They can be defeated with a small exacto knife. Doing so will allow greater range of tuning but 99% or people on here do that AFTER they have made a modification such as hogging out the muffler opening, or doing port work to the cylinder. These mods often require running more fuel to match the increased air flow.
The OP is looking to add more fuel because he's likely a keyboard ninja who has spent too much time reading stories about the 372xp x-torq and that it is set to run lean from the factory and is worried it will shorten the life of his saw if he runs it as is. This worry and effort isn't the norm. You can't even read a plug with 15 minutes on it.
My advice is use the saw- if you have problems that the dealer can't help you with post them, otherwise enjoy your new purchase.
Your totally right. Ive been reading way too much internet B.S. and getting paranoid. You guys have helped me feel alot better and made me able to enjoy my new saw now! Ill have to get a video next chance i get to cut some wood.

Yes it looks good. Clearly pro saws come with limiters so not sure what that ment but I just usually trim the limiters but the 372xt it seems to be pretty happy where I leave it so I don't know what else to tell ya?! Keep tuning and I would leave it where you have it for now, run a few more tanks of 40:1 through it then pull the plug and see. If you haven't switch fuel now to 40:1 and don't waste all this tuning time. Just my .02
Yea as soon as i use these few cans of husky pre-mixed fuel ( i got them for the double warrenty) then my normal mix for everything( saws, backpack blower, string trimmer, etc) will be 91 octane ethanol free gas and stihl ultra closer to 40:1

nkila, I'm following this thread with interest as I am also considering to buy a 372 (or 576) very soon. And I totally understand your desire to getting running well and keeping it maintained.

But (I am not criticizing, mind you) I just want to ask those giving tips here, is concerning oneself with so much from the get-go normal and/or expected? I just wonder if inspecting the plug and already removing limiters by way of carb removal on a saw that has probably only run a couple tanks (at most) is standard procedure? Also, does removing the limiters affect the warranty? I mean, do all owners of new saws need go through this? Or if they don't do so are they being unwise?

As I said, I'm not looking to criticize, I just want to know what's the best way to go. And again nkila, I want to see you get your saw running good, but is it possible you are over-worrying?
Honestly as the others have made me realize, its just me being paranoid from reading too much internet B.S. The 372xp is a very nice saw and has been around for a while, plus a bit lighter, hence why i got it. The 576 looks nice too, especially with autotune. I like how you have the option to get the 576 with or without autotune. I was considering the 576 too, but the weight is a bit more. it is a bigger feeling saw too. But i hear it is amazingly smooth. So i would say either one is a good choice!

Yeah, I'm still deliberating on the 576. Interesting to hear how much more nimble you feel the 372 is. However I'm not much of a saw repair master and don't want to deal with carb adjustment too much. Weather here can go from super-humid to dry, super cold to hot, and I'll be cutting anywhere between 1500' and 3500' elevation... so the AT sounds pretty nice for that. I'd love to learn more on chainsaw carb adjustment (and there's only one way to do so...), but dealer support is almost non-existent since I'm in the middle of nowhere, so having it self tune would make life much easier probably.

My only concern is that I'm considering some softwood milling (less than 14") and I don't want any AT problems. Opinions are a bit mixed on this, though if I don't overdo it, I think the AT should be fine.

Would love to see a vid. Enjoy the saw and us posted!

As saw breaks in it will get richer and richer on its own.
I assume this Is this something that only happens because of the auto tune? im just curious because I have a new 562XP. Also I am a little confused about the rev-limiter thing. how do you know if you hitting the limiter vs the saw 4 stroking at WOT.

Latest posts

Back