385XP as firewood saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatsnext

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A friend had decided that his 385XP is too big and wants to trade me for some of my stuff. Is there really any point, other than having a giant saw, for having a 385XP with say a 20" bar? It would be a pretty good deal which is the only reason I'm asking.
John...

409 posts and you have to ask!!?? Does there really have to be more of a point than having a giant saw? Especially one you can get a deal on?

Where's that reputation button... j/k!

If the deal is that good, get it as an investment if nothing more... at least some seat-time to add to your overall experiences in the world of saws.

This is bad, some other KC guy is thinking about a 385 and I'm trying to figure out a way to insert me as his "exit strategy". This chainsaw stuff is sick, I tell you, truly sick. I need another big saw like I need a hole in the head...but...well, I'm not...yeah, I'm always here.

Mark

Absolutely makes sense! Very shortly it won't seem big any longer.

I was looking for an 044/046 when I ran across an 066 and if I can get used to the weight/power of and 066 and think "This taint bad a'tall!" I think the 385 will be even better!

For firewood (LOTS of down cuts on level logs) the weight isn't that big a deal - you won't be pushing as hard as you would with a light saw.

Chaser

If it is a good deal, do you really need a better reason :ices_rofl:

And think of it as an insurance policy down the road should you ever need to cut up some big stuff you throw a 36 inch bar on it and go to town.

Plus I really doubt that you would ever have a hard time finding somone to buy a 385 from you especially at a good price.

I have a 575Xp, a bit more saw than I need but boy is it fun to use. I tend to only use it for real big stuff, I have a 24" bar on mine. Still tend to use the 455 with the 20 or 18 inch bar 70% of the time. The bigger saw is bulking and heavy especially for felling, for cutting up logs for firewood the extra weight is not to bad, but when you hold it sideways to fell it is a bit too heavy. That is the only draw back I would see to a 385.

You can always run the bigger saw with an 8 pin gear and a 20" bar to get some higher chain speed. Also, if you mod the engine, then step up to a 9 pin, you'll be cruising.

Do I need a 7900 and 066 as a homeowner, no. But when my friend called just a few days ago to drop a 40"-44" maple at last cut. I was so glad I had them both. I used a 32" on the 7900 without a huff and Do know I got to get me a bigger bar for my 066 other then the 18", hmmm wonder if the 066 would handle a 24" :ices_rofl: .
Also came in handy when my dad called and he had a black oak 28" across laying on our atv paths up on the hill. No sweat for the 7900. No I dont need them, but sure is NICE.:cheers:
CopyofTree002.jpg

whatsnext said:
A friend had decided that his 385XP is too big and wants to trade me for some of my stuff. Is there really any point, other than having a giant saw, for having a 385XP with say a 20" bar? It would be a pretty good deal which is the only reason I'm asking.
John...
What are you trading to get the 385xp ?

Hello,
we are using a 288 xp at the same size as a firewood saw for the bigger stuff and we are happy with it. Replacing it I would choose a 385 or a 660.

It is more fun when you have enough power.

Regards,

Vincent

Vincent said:
Hello,
It is more fun when you have enough power.
or OVERPOWERED :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

9 times out of 10 when your cutting fire wood the truck is right there so HECK YEA. There not so heavy since you dont have to hold them up for so long. I cut fire wood with a 2100.

Good deal

If you can get it for like $500 or under as far as trade goes, you'd better snag it. I called the Husky dealer here to ask value of a 288XP, which is about the same thing only older, he said between 3 and 400 easy would be a good deal. So I'd say 500 would be a good deal, correct me if I'm wrong everyone. I have saws from 2hp to 5.5hp now, even still, I'd like something a little bigger every now and again like that 385. And what's more, it's a relatively light saw for what it puts out I think. My old stihls weigh in at 15lbs, that bugger only weighs 16. Get'er if'n ya can and don't look back. If it's too big, you can sell it and buy a smaller newer saw and take your wife out to dinner with the money you saved. :biggrinbounce2:

Buy it

My 385 is the saw I use the most now. It took a whle to get used to the weight, but after a few cords, it doesn't seem that bad. Plus, with a big saw, you will be done sooner.

Latest posts

Back