390xp a worthy step up from 576xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenderfoot

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Is the 390xp a worthy step up from a 576xp for bucking only? I am starting to take on logs for firewood that require a larger bar or cuts from both sides (I could likely get by with a 28 in bar, and that is my plan). Will the 576xp pull a 28 in dirty hardwood well enough that a 390 is a waste of money? Simply bucking in a yard non stop (for about 8 hours) two or three times a month.

I know someone will say 'port your saw!' but I am on the fence about how that will really work reliability wise for me and I don't want to have to worry about frying the clutch with all the new power. I love the 576 and am honestly thinking about buying a new auto tune one and getting my current one rebuilt and ported as my 'big' saw.

Screw it, I just got a couple estimates for porting and rebuilding the 576xp and its about $700-$800 depending on what parts are needed. Thats a lot more appealing then $1100 for a 390. Noted I will probably still wind up with a 390 down the road.

I owned a 576at. I'll never buy another. While they are smooth, they are not much lighter then a 390 and will not run with a 390. If they were 372 weight I might consider one again but they aren't. If I'm gonna carry that weight I'll carry 90cc's. A lot of guys say the 576 boasts more power then a 372. I don't feel it. 372XT feels more powerful to me and handles much better. Or you could just get smart and get a stihl [emoji23]

Personally I would be shopping for a used 385/390 for the occasional big logs and keep the 576. I spent less than $500 on my used ported 390xpgw and it's awesome.
That is a real good deal, but my 576 is getting tired so I want to rebuild anyway. Damn muffler bolts keep falling out of the piston due to bad threads and boogered helicoils (last time I repair something in the field). I love the saw and she is a fantastic machine for me, but a little slow with a 28 IMO.

I spent @$550 for a sweet already rebuilt and ported 394 xp. It's my dedicated 36" bar saw and I love it for bucking the big stuff and stumping. Got it here on AS trading post.
Well thats a deal, I may have to be on the lookout from now on.

I owned a 576at. I'll never buy another. While they are smooth, they are not much lighter then a 390 and will not run with a 390. If they were 372 weight I might consider one again but they aren't. If I'm gonna carry that weight I'll carry 90cc's. A lot of guys say the 576 boasts more power then a 372. I don't feel it. 372XT feels more powerful to me and handles much better. Or you could just get smart and get a stihl [emoji23]

I feel the opposite. I have a normal carb 576 and absolutely love it. I think they are not too bad weight wise and they feel just right for me. I don't think it is enough heavier then a 372 to care much as a bucking saw. If I were walking farther it would be a different case. Also being able to swap bars between saws I have is a big selling point.

I feel the opposite. I have a normal carb 576 and absolutely love it. I think they are not too bad weight wise and they feel just right for me. I don't think it is enough heavier then a 372 to care much as a bucking saw. If I were walking farther it would be a different case. Also being able to swap bars between saws I have is a big selling point.

Agree - I found the 576AT and 372XP to be about the same weight, but the 576 has noticeably more grunt

I use my 372 in much the way that you describe - big days sectioning hardwood, but only every now and then - sometimes smaller stuff in between

A 576 would be enough saw for this

Weight and handling is a whole 'nuther conversation between production timber falling and blocking logs in the yard. But after swinging around the 390 for a bit the 372 feels like a 50cc!

Agree - I found the 576AT and 372XP to be about the same weight, but the 576 has noticeably more grunt

I use my 372 in much the way that you describe - big days sectioning hardwood, but only every now and then - sometimes smaller stuff in between

Mine was an AT. Go weigh them and then try them with a 36" bar. That's where you see the difference. A 372XT holds a higher chain speed in wood then a 576. I've used them both significantly for something other then cookie cutting [emoji23] 390 FTW! I'm a ****ed up individual. Can't decide what I like so have one of them all lol. Currently back to running 660 stihl

I agree with you here. I felt like the 372xp had more low end than the 576xp auto tune and just about the same up top too. They're both broken in, but hardly any hours on them, so it's a fair comparison; both being tight saws. While the 576xp is smooth, I don't find myself needing any more vibration dampening than the 372xp has to offer, so the smoothness isn't a big deal to me. The 390xp will pull a 28" full comp like it isn't even there, so I'd imagine with a 32" skip it'd be pretty good.

They're all good saw in their own right.

I do firewood, so all I do is bucking, but some days I can get loads of good wood but deal with larger logs then I like.

Weight and handling is a whole 'nuther conversation between production timber falling and blocking logs in the yard. But after swinging around the 390 for a bit the 372 feels like a 50cc!
Yeah, I dont fall much. And what I do fall I can handle with a 20 in bar and the 576. Thing is a mean saw. Ran a 660 a few times in big pine and it ripped. 32 in bar and full comp round chisel. I quite liked it and thats what made me want a 390. The 390 I think may fall behind but not needing to buy new bars will be a nice cost savings.

Mine was an AT. Go weigh them and then try them with a 36" bar. That's where you see the difference. A 372XT holds a higher chain speed in wood then a 576. I've used them both significantly for something other then cookie cutting [emoji23] 390 FTW! I'm a ****ed up individual. Can't decide what I like so have one of them all lol. Currently back to running 660 stihl
Haha it sounds like you may enjoy being sore at the end of the day more then I do.

I agree with you here. I felt like the 372xp had more low end than the 576xp auto tune and just about the same up top too. They're both broken in, but hardly any hours on them, so it's a fair comparison; both being tight saws. While the 576xp is smooth, I don't find myself needing any more vibration dampening than the 372xp has to offer, so the smoothness isn't a big deal to me. The 390xp will pull a 28" full comp like it isn't even there, so I'd imagine with a 32" skip it'd be pretty good.

They're all good saw in their own right.

It would seem that the only ones who think the 576 is stronger are the ones that own only a 576. I've owned both and ran them both side by side stock and ported. 372 is the saw to own between the 2.

I do firewood, so all I do is bucking, but some days I can get loads of good wood but deal with larger logs then I like.

Yeah, I dont fall much. And what I do fall I can handle with a 20 in bar and the 576. Thing is a mean saw. Ran a 660 a few times in big pine and it ripped. 32 in bar and full comp round chisel. I quite liked it and thats what made me want a 390. The 390 I think may fall behind but not needing to buy new bars will be a nice cost savings.

Haha it sounds like you may enjoy being sore at the end of the day more then I do.

I don't like being sore but I don't just cut cookies or firewood. Need a big saw for what I do. Even just walking the ground I work without any gear will make a guy sore.

I don't like being sore but I don't just cut cookies or firewood. Need a big saw for what I do. Even just walking the ground I work without any gear will make a guy sore.
Busting your balls. And I own a 576xp and I ran a 372x torq all summer at a tree service doing similar things. I can lean on the 576 or drop the depth guages way more then I can with a 372. The 372 was far more rev happy but bury the bar in a big log and it required a lighter touch then the 576.

You own a 576 though. You don't own a 372. I'm calling biased. I ran them with 36" bars. The 576 just lagged in comparison and was AT. I owned a non AT 576 with the same results. I fully expect a 576 owner to defend their saw but regardless of anything else a 390 has more power, not much heavier at all, and handles just as good. Hence the reason why I would never own another. I do like the AT though.

It would seem that the only ones who think the 576 is stronger are the ones that own only a 576. I've owned both and ran them both side by side stock and ported. 372 is the saw to own between the 2.
That may be so; but I can't know for sure if that's the case. All I know is I'm not as keen on the 576xp as I am the 372xp, but that's not to say the 576xp is a bad saw. Plenty of happy owners, my father included. The 390xp is an animal; anyone who thinks otherwise needs a mental evaluation.

I have 0 issues with either, and I run both with 24 inch bars and 72LGX or Carlton semi chisel chain depending on the day (noted I have a Canon bar on my personal saw). I think that for a bucking saw the 576 is better, for almost anything else the 372 makes more sense as it is narrower and feels better for limbing. I have owned both over the years, the 372 I was offered a lot more then I paid for it so I sold it. 576 is better suited for semi chisel chain in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back