4 cedars, RBtree and two grunts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Reaction score
A neighbor and friend of mine bought climbing gear and a brand new MS200t... He had 4 cedars to cut down, and figured he'd learn to climb "on the job".

One leans over power lines and will hit the house...
One over his garage...
One has a top broken out that has already trashed his garage roof
..the other is 1 foot from the garage corner....

The septic system is to the rear of all the trees. Oh.. two are over 135 feet... and are condominant....

I talked him out doing the job himself and got RBtree to give him a reasonable quote - the neigbor and I would provide the grunt.. Rodger - the "finesse".

Rodger doing what he likes best... (except jumping off a 50 foot cliff into 8 feet of powder). He's almost at the top.

attachment.php

At the TOP??? na.... This top had to fall onto a 10 foot wide driveway 100 feet below... it did.

attachment.php

14 foot block comming down...
attachment.php

RB in Tree...
attachment.php

3120 in action...
attachment.php

more

Progress...
attachment.php

SCHWING!!!!!!!!!
attachment.php

Log moving.. looked great.. but no way would this one move...
attachment.php

Doesn't show in the pic, but this tree really wanted to cream the garage.
attachment.php

ready for the backcut...
attachment.php

Last edited:
That's a lot of wood for that little saw! Beautiful logs, not even any center rot at the bottom I noticed. I have no fear of heights, and as comfortable as I am with a saw, I still don't see myself doing anything like that in the near future. Nice work.

That's a lot of wood for that little saw! Beautiful logs, not even any center rot at the bottom I noticed. I have no fear of heights, and as comfortable as I am with a saw, I still don't see myself doing anything like that in the near future. Nice work.

200T for limbing and blocking to about 12 inches, then the 357, then the 372 and finally.. the 3120... Oh, the 7900 saw some action too, as did my MS200, stihl peaveys and cant hooks, log carriers, snatch blocks, ropes, steel cable and more...

Great pics!!!! Those logs would look great on my mill here in Utah.

But no luck, keep up the pics.

Kevin :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

As I am now 41 and am a full time climber, Roger is my inspiration. Looks like he was kicking butt like usual.

Sometimes rocking a log you are trying to pull with a peavey can get it started.

That looked like work. Great job by some truly professional people. We don't have cedars that tall here, just a lot of them.
Thanks for sharing Andy.

Looks like you did some great work there guys. The pics are great, but I'm sure they can't capture the whole story.

I'm sure Sawtroll will chime in about bar length :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Good job:clap: I noticed the top had no starter rope did he just
wedge? Was it calm and I wish I had some of that cedar like several
thousand bft:laugh:

The top had a bit of favor the right way (mostly branch weight), but I still went up 8 feet or so and took some back weight off...(Those top limbs were under 2 inches....

With the 8-14 foot lengths, I use wedges, and a deep face to undermine the center of balance or nearly so-on a couple...and bore out some center holding wood. So, even on the few with slight side lean, I needed no rope....might have used a line once (besides the butt logs of course)

I just got a great tip from wiley_p, who has vacated AS (the guy who felled the "Squeeze Play" fir)......He said rather than boring center hinge wood out (on sticks), cut out the corners, leaving a triangle of holding wood, the apex facing exactly opposite the felling direction. I can see how this would really help, especially if the bar is shorter than the hinge wood. (This is the same technique I've used for years on head leaners to control barber chair. (If plunge cutting-bore cutting to set up the hinge isn't used---or straps---or a Coos Bay cut----or another sweet trick that Dave mentioned-which he said he'd have to demonstrate on a jobsite---said it was the cat's meow for scary leaning alder, and even allows for turning a tree up to 45 degrees off its lean!.)

Andy, I love it when you exaggerate...but I'd say the tallest cedar was 110 feet, maybe 115.

Last edited:
I spent 6 hours editing pics from the Deming Log Show, but will put up a video from this job and any pics that are any good...soon......

check out the Deming thread, ya bums.....there''s some mighty fine Sheilas running a couple hot Harleys!!!

Curious why the trees needed to come down?
Well, one already took out Jason's garage roof and rafters....the other two were nearly touching it...and the fourth was in the way of some regrading he has planned.

Wait'll ya'll see the aerial shot of Jason's roof.....ummm the house....not talking about the trashed garage...just the materials used......

Good work rb, I just have had wind try to ruin my day free falling tops.
I have done it at times though in calm or gentile wind in the direction
I want the top to go. The tallest cedars I have been in were eighty feet
and even that height is very rare here. Cedars are strong though and
like them better than cottonwood or tulip poplar. I like the log barrier
and do that too to limit landscape damage looks like it bounced a little lol!
I need some new pads the ones I have would kill me on a big tree are
you using aluminum or velcro with inserts? We look to be near the same
age and spurs need to be comfortable as bones age.

Back