40-50cc chainsaw (what to get)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiWhiz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I currently have a Stihl MS250 saw, great saw but am wanting to try something different. I have to either sell or trade what I have in order to try something else (I suffer from thin wallet disease). Was wondering your thoughts of what brand/model to check out other than Stihl or Husky as I have already tried them and want to try something different. Thanks! Steve.

Efco MT4400 or 152. Becoming a real believer. And yes, parts are readily available from a dealer.

If you have already tried STIHL and Husky, you can try ECHO or Dolmar/Makita. You could also try a Poulan 2050.

But remember, that every brand has it's 'sweet' models and it's 'eh' models. That MS250 you have has a lot of heart for a homeowner saw of that size, and is recognized as a good value saw.

Philbert

Dolmar 421 or the Efco brand!

421 would be my first choice if you want the same power rating (but it delivers strong) of the 250, 5105 if you want to step on up for similar weight. Efco 4400 is like your 250, the 152 a step up and a great saw. Lots of converts to the Efco brand from that saw!

I had an 025, sold it, and kind of miss it. Depending on how much you use it that saw is probably going to keep you happy for a long time. If your looking for more performance a muffler mod and a fully adjustable carb will go a long way. I'd say keep it, get another saw, and then decide which one to sell. I am not brand loyal, just saying that is a decent saw.

If your MS250 has the wrenchless chain adjustment, that is going to be the first thing you miss when you get a different saw. If it does not, then get another MS250 with that feature.

If your MS250 has the wrenchless chain adjustment, that is going to be the first thing you miss when you get a different saw. If it does not, then get another MS250 with that feature.

Might as well get the 251 or wait and hope for importation or manufacture of the 241. If you want to run picco or 3/8 low profile chain with a rim sprocket Is there any choice besides stihl? It is kind of odd to me how few places have the 251.

you don't really need a rim drive at that level personally. spurs and bearings are cheap. and quick adjusters are great for a while but tiresome when seriously cutting. a used 350 or new 450 is a good bet.

I've used one with that feature, and I didn't miss it at all. I sort of think they are irritating to deal with. Just my opinion though. I have not seen a poll on that and wonder what other members think of them....I tend to swap out the chain when it gets dull rather than file it on the saw.

You shoulda tried out the Dolmar 421 or 5105 while you were at Boonville. I think you'd really enjoy either one of them. Much more so than the MS250.

Thanks for the reply's folks. I have had Dolmar 420, Echo 4400, Stihl 250, Husky 350, Efco (can't remember the model) and small Poulan over the years but never a Redmax, will have to check them out. Took the wife and our son to a huge mall in Syracuse,N.Y . today (Destiny Mall) for school clothes and saw a Bluemax at a Sears Outlet store, wasn't very impressed with it. Hope that a Redmax and a Bluemax are different beasts.

Oops almost forgot I have had a Jonsered also a 2150 turbo.

Last edited:
Back