$400.00 dollar budget what saw to get

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Echo CS600p off Ebay for $400 is the best buy out there for a good pro saw. Far as resale it will be a long time before the value goes down to $200. Walk out the door with a $650 Stihl and you lose $200. If you can find a Home Depot Kita is another good buy. Also if you can find a C62 Efco at John Deere for $400 or less. All good saws that won't lose much value. Steve

are you implying that echos hold their value better than pro model stihl saws? :dizzy:
sounds like even makita and efco hold their value better? :dizzy:

to the OP - i d strongly advise against wasting $400+tax on a new husky 455 from lowes.. you will be extremely disappointing, especially if you are using it daily, they are just not good saws, i have run several of them many times and dont like them at all. like someone said, the old 350 is a much better saw, and i found one of those on crfaigslist for $140 that ran great. still too small of a saw to be using as a one saw plan for processing firewood, you want 60cc+ and a 20+" bar if youre gona have 1 saw only
you would have much better luck with a quality used saw, with $400 to spend you could get a pretty decent used 60-70cc pro saw.

Last edited:
A one saw plan doesn't cut it (pun intended) for having access to 100 acres of woods and thinking about starting a firewood business.

The first time you get pinched really hard you'll wished you would have bought at least one more saw to cut yourself loose.

Same deal if you hit a piece of wire or a rock, or just dirty wood. You can grab another saw and keep cutting, or waste valuable time trying to get the saw back in service again with a sharp chain on it.

I very seldom buy new saws, the used market it excellent, if you know what to look for.

I'd grab up a Husqvarna 55, preferably an "Air Injection" model with the compression release. Most, if not all of those have the closed port P/C.

I'd grab up an Echo CS-370 or CS-400 for limbing. With some patience you can have both and still stay within the $400 budget. Good used 55's are around $200-250, and the little Echo's are under $200 NIB. These two saws teamed up together would be a good start. I'd add a 60-70cc saw to the line-up at some point as well, for 20" and larger stuff.......Cliff

i do have another saw.I bought a poulan pro 42 cc with an 18inch bar at lowes for a 160 bucks. Came with a job box and extra chain,not a bad deal for a second saw. It actualy does pretty good for what it is and for 20 bucks i got a 2 year full replacement warranty,so if i burn it up i take it back and i get a new one no questions asked.

I think Efco is running a deal on 156's, and probably other models(great saws). You can get a 75.00 rebate, which may put it under 400.00 in the long run. I'm still thinking about a 156.

are you implying that echos hold their value better than pro model stihl saws? :dizzy:
sounds like even makita and efco hold their value better? :dizzy:

to the OP - i d strongly advise against wasting $400+tax on a new husky 455 from lowes.. you will be extremely disappointing, especially if you are using it daily, they are just not good saws, i have run several of them many times and dont like them at all. like someone said, the old 350 is a much better saw, and i found one of those on crfaigslist for $140 that ran great. still too small of a saw to be using as a one saw plan for processing firewood, you want 60cc+ and a 20+" bar if youre gona have 1 saw only
you would have much better luck with a quality used saw, with $400 to spend you could get a pretty decent used 60-70cc pro saw.

I'm saying when you buy a CS600 for $400 or a CS400 for $200 off Ebay it will be a long time before they lose half of the purchase price. If you go to a dealer and pay full price then the Stihl would hold it's value a tad better. Used MS361 Stihls are selling on Ebay for $250 to $450 right now, it will be a long time before you can find a used CS600 for under $200 . Steve

+1 on not dumping $400 plus tax for a Husqvarna 455. They are OK saws, but you can get so much more for your money by carefully spending it buying slightly used units, basically 2 to 1.

I'm filled my line-up with used saws, most purchased with very low hours and very good to near mint condition.

I wouldn't hesitate either to get an Echo 600P new for $400, if you just have to have a new saw. Echo has came a long way with there line-up of saws, and most of the modern units are very good to excellent. They have a bad reputation from the low powered reed valve models and underpowered early models with the spark plug back by the handle.

The piston ported upright P/C units are light years ahead, and aside from being a tad lean to please the EPA, don't require much more than removing the limiter caps and custom tuning them.......Cliff

I did end up with two saws. A poulan pro 42 cc 18" bar and I also bought a dolmar ps510 with a 20" bar. Have to say I'm happy with both, they are doing there job so no real complaints. Thanks for all the advice from everyone.

So you want to be in the firewood business?

Why? Economically it seldom pays, and then only if you have invested in good equipment. $400 won't get you there. Low profit margin, high accident potential, heavy manual labor, and depending on your area could be highly competitive. I think the rest of us cut wood simply because we like to and it's a relatively healthy occupation.

You can't, and never should, do it alone either, it's just too dangerous. You need other cheap reliable labor, which is hard to find, hard to keep, and harder to manage. Further, the cost of saws is negligible compared to the operational costs of transportation and fuel. And never, never forget the safety equipment. It's incredibly low cost compared to the cost of even the smallest accident, and there will be some even if you work with trained professionals. A good splitter will be required even if you just cut firewood for yourself, and that alone is far more expensive than a saw collection if you need volume.

Not trying to talk you out of it, but there are many considerations that go into any business plan. There is a very good reason that many tree service businesses do not process firewood themselves, especially since it's so low-margin and labor intensive.

On the other hand, it's an easy start-up business, especially if you have most of the equipment already and a free near unlimited supply of good hardwood trees.

If you are just starting out, even if it's for personal firewood use, I suggest you get at least two saws, a big one for felling and bucking, and a smaller one for limbing and climbing. That also gives you a back-up saw if one of them breaks down, and they will.

For big saws, any of the larger Stihls, Huskys, Echos, or even the newer Efcos are good considerations. It should be at least over 60ccs with at least a 20in. bar or more, which tend to be pricey. Avoid the Husky Rancher, the biggest saw sold at Lowes. It's just not that good - I understand from my repair shop that the rings tend to stick in the exhaust port and destroy the saw. Anything in the Husky XP line is a good choice but can easily cost over $1k. I also have a lot of respect for the bigger Stihls as well as I have used them

Don't discount the great values that can be found in used saws. I picked up a brand new "used" Husky XP372 last year with a $300 discount at a local dealer. It was never out of the box, sat on a shelf for three years at a company that bought it at retail, and was traded in for a newer saw with the dealer. Already out of warranty, but warranties are practically worthless anyway as many on this site already know.

For a smaller saw I went really cheap. Bought a Poulan Pro 4618 from Lowes at $160, on the theory that I could buy two of those for the $320 cost of the 18" Husky, even if it was crap, as are the smaller Huskys. Since Husky owns Poulan and they are manufactured at the Husky plant, figured some parts and engineering have to be the same. Somebody please correct me if you know different.

Did not stop there. Immediately modified the exhaust (instructions are on this site) and re-tuned the saw (voids the warranty, but who cares), then refitted it with a 14in. professional bar of harder steel and a full chisel chain. At that point it was still under $210 and a real banshee of a saw for three years now, without a single breakdown after about 20+ cut cords (about 60 trees).

Recently worked alongside a large professional tree cutting team doing a wide clear cut for a major power project, and they were in absolute awe of what that little saw could do. Never seen anything like it. Small, lightweight, easy to handle, doesn't tire you out, cuts incredibly fast, and never slows down, but it does scream. It's a 42CC saw that doesn't know its small.

Good luck, whatever you do.

Husky 372XP
Poulan Pro 4618
Poulan Wild Thing (it's a joke, but it still runs, just don't use it. May be a collectors item as the worst saw on the planet. Your electric kitchen knife is a better saw)

Poulan 4618 advice

Krokit, looked back on this thread and found that you did in fact buy the Poulan Pro 18. Still suggest that you modify it according to my earlier posts.

But something else that's very important that I forgot about. The tool less tensioner that comes stock on that saw is a POS, and Poulan knows it. Poorly engineered. The chain cannot be tensioned enough with the thumb dial and only one post and nut fastener, so the chain will jump off regularly. That is the biggest complaint on that saw and the one that gives it low ratings.

However, I strongly suggest that you immediately contact Poulan and tell them that you want the older standard two nut tensioner, which they will provide for free, even shipping. They only require the model number, the serial number of your saw, and your address. They are more than happy to do that because of the potential for product liability lawsuits.

That will stabilize the bar and chain far more efficiently and hopefully prevent you from damaging the current bar and chain. I would refrain from using that saw at all until that gets changed since a jumping chain is also dangerous to the user.

Again, hope all goes well.

For $400, I'd buy a Poulan S25DA, a Poulan 4000, and a Poulan 5200, several bars & chains and still have enough left to a 12pack and a Jug of gas. But, Thats me.. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:
:cheers:
Gregg,

I'm saying when you buy a CS600 for $400 or a CS400 for $200 off Ebay it will be a long time before they lose half of the purchase price. If you go to a dealer and pay full price then the Stihl would hold it's value a tad better. Used MS361 Stihls are selling on Ebay for $250 to $450 right now, it will be a long time before you can find a used CS600 for under $200 . Steve

itd be tough for a $200 saw to lose half its purchase price! although who would even want the $200 echo after it was used for several years?
what are these used cs600's selling for? i cant find one anywhere, ebay has a couple new ones for $400+ , + shipping

you say its a long time till youll find a used cs600 for half the new price, and then say ms361s are selling for below half the new price when sold used... sorry but you are way off base with this, that reasoning is still saying echo saws hold their value better than stihl pro saws, which couldnt be farther from the truth. used 361's are going for $400+ all day on ebay and on here, you cant look at the current bid on ebay and say thats what its going for, check them when the auction ends. i searched hi and low for a 361 several months back, $250 is a dream, i was gona buy a nice used one for $450 untill a member sold me a NIB for $540 for powerhead. $250 for a used 361!@? 036 pros sell for more than that all day!
weather u go to dealer and buy a brand new 361, or a used one, its gona hold its value way better than any echo ever could. say you buy a used 361 for $400. if you took good care of it for a couple years , you could probably sell it for the same $400 a couple years later after using it... you drop $400 on an echo cs600, you are basically stuck with it, just like a husky 455 rancher, drop $400+ on it, and you are stuck with it, or you are selling it for a huge loss

Last edited:
itd be tough for a $200 saw to lose half its purchase price! although who would even want the $200 echo after it was used for several years?
what are these used cs600's selling for? i cant find one anywhere, ebay has a couple new ones for $400+ , + shipping

you say its a long time till youll find a used cs600 for half the new price, and then say ms361s are selling for below half the new price when sold used... sorry but you are way off base with this, that reasoning is still saying echo saws hold their value better than stihl pro saws, which couldnt be farther from the truth. used 361's are going for $400+ all day on ebay and on here, you cant look at the current bid on ebay and say thats what its going for, check them when the auction ends. i searched hi and low for a 361 several months back, $250 is a dream, i was gona buy a nice used one for $450 untill a member sold me a NIB for $540 for powerhead. $250 for a used 361!@? 036 pros sell for more than that all day!
weather u go to dealer and buy a brand new 361, or a used one, its gona hold its value way better than any echo ever could. say you buy a used 361 for $400. if you took good care of it for a couple years , you could probably sell it for the same $400 a couple years later after using it... you drop $400 on an echo cs600, you are basically stuck with it, just like a husky 455 rancher, drop $400+ on it, and you are stuck with it, or you are selling it for a huge loss

Yep. Ebay prices are an aberation. Used Echos go for $50-100 around here where most people burn wood and know a little about saws.

not to be a contrarian...

...but the OP didn't ask for the smart move to open a chainsaw resale operation... A $400 firewood saw is easy to come by if you're willing to buy used and be patient (my MS440 was clean as a pin when I bought it for exactly that). You also rarely (I would think) buy a working tool with particular regard to resale value. That would be great, but the fact is, most of us "hard work" types use tools until they're used up, then glue 'em back together. I've never chosen a tool over another thinking I might resell at a better price. That seems to work for a Ferrari or a rare coin, but not so much with tools. It just so happens the tool that best does the job usually retains value better too... There's not much about the MS441 or the MS290 that make me care whether I get $400 or $500 for my 440, or $100 or $200 for my 028 Super. Whether I profit $0 or $100 on either, it's chicken feed compared to the layout for a replacement. As long as I like my saw, its resale value is of no consequence until I decide to open up a used saw lot.

I agree with prior poster about time = money. I don't think I would waste time with a Poulan "Anything" if I knew, Knew, *KNEW* there were faster, better, more servicable, more durable and more dependable saws out there. A $100 028 is (or the 028 Super's better & nearly the saw your PS510 is...) a reasonable middle-ish saw for firewood, and that should give a leg up on the purchase of a bigger saw for real production. Easy to work on, easy to find parts, easy carb clean... Drill the muffler just a little, re-tune, buy an extra spark plug and air filter, run it and take the $300 you saved and combine that with your next 5 loads of wood sold, and buy a solid 372XP used for around $400-$600, and retire the 028 to backup status. It'll still be around for years, and you'll never have to replace it. Just run a tank through it every week and keep the air filter clean. That would be my strategy...keep cost low to start, reinvest profits into something that will make more profits in less time. Speaking of time...do yourself a favor and buy either a filing jig or a mechanical sharpener and learn to *really* use it. Truly sharp (well-sharpened) chain makes 2 whole worlds of difference...more than any saw.

Krokit, looked back on this thread and found that you did in fact buy the Poulan Pro 18. Still suggest that you modify it according to my earlier posts.

But something else that's very important that I forgot about. The tool less tensioner that comes stock on that saw is a POS, and Poulan knows it. Poorly engineered. The chain cannot be tensioned enough with the thumb dial and only one post and nut fastener, so the chain will jump off regularly. That is the biggest complaint on that saw and the one that gives it low ratings.

However, I strongly suggest that you immediately contact Poulan and tell them that you want the older standard two nut tensioner, which they will provide for free, even shipping. They only require the model number, the serial number of your saw, and your address. They are more than happy to do that because of the potential for product liability lawsuits.

That will stabilize the bar and chain far more efficiently and hopefully prevent you from damaging the current bar and chain. I would refrain from using that saw at all until that gets changed since a jumping chain is also dangerous to the user.

Again, hope all goes well.

thanks for the advice.so far havent had any problems with it except the first time using it.it threw the chain in the first cut and said to myself i hope this isnt going to be a regular thing cause ill take it back,but that is the only time it has done that. i havent had any more issues with it since.I will say it take a little common sense when using this adjuster.i dont like how they made the little handle out of plastic.You gota realy watch how hard you tighten that thing.I always feel like imgona break the dam thing.So i will be takingyour advice and getting the adapter kit to make it traditional 2 bolt set up.:rock:

Last edited:
...but the OP didn't ask for the smart move to open a chainsaw resale operation... A $400 firewood saw is easy to come by if you're willing to buy used and be patient (my MS440 was clean as a pin when I bought it for exactly that). You also rarely (I would think) buy a working tool with particular regard to resale value. That would be great, but the fact is, most of us "hard work" types use tools until they're used up, then glue 'em back together. I've never chosen a tool over another thinking I might resell at a better price. That seems to work for a Ferrari or a rare coin, but not so much with tools. It just so happens the tool that best does the job usually retains value better too... There's not much about the MS441 or the MS290 that make me care whether I get $400 or $500 for my 440, or $100 or $200 for my 028 Super. Whether I profit $0 or $100 on either, it's chicken feed compared to the layout for a replacement. As long as I like my saw, its resale value is of no consequence until I decide to open up a used saw lot.

I agree with prior poster about time = money. I don't think I would waste time with a Poulan "Anything" if I knew, Knew, *KNEW* there were faster, better, more servicable, more durable and more dependable saws out there. A $100 028 is (or the 028 Super's better & nearly the saw your PS510 is...) a reasonable middle-ish saw for firewood, and that should give a leg up on the purchase of a bigger saw for real production. Easy to work on, easy to find parts, easy carb clean... Drill the muffler just a little, re-tune, buy an extra spark plug and air filter, run it and take the $300 you saved and combine that with your next 5 loads of wood sold, and buy a solid 372XP used for around $400-$600, and retire the 028 to backup status. It'll still be around for years, and you'll never have to replace it. Just run a tank through it every week and keep the air filter clean. That would be my strategy...keep cost low to start, reinvest profits into something that will make more profits in less time. Speaking of time...do yourself a favor and buy either a filing jig or a mechanical sharpener and learn to *really* use it. Truly sharp (well-sharpened) chain makes 2 whole worlds of difference...more than any saw.

again thanks everybody for the advice.mite have come a little to late because i have already purchased the 510 and the poulan as my limbing and backup saw.Though now that i have the 510 i rarely use the p[oulan anymore cause they weigh about the same,and the 510 has twice the power.I'll use what i have for now and save some money for a bigger saw. I got my eye on a dolmar 7900,got to try one out and love it.As to the chain sharpening,it realy doesn't bother me to do it with a plain old file,and i get a realy sharp chain,as ive been told.ive been cutting and splitting wood since i was 5 years old with my stepdad.But always for personal use never professional.

Right on dude!

Ya know, I went back and re-read my post, and it's preachy or something...just trying to give an honest and hopefully helpful opinion, but regardless, I'm sorry about getting all fired up about it like some yay-hoo. :angrysoapbox:
The main thing is you're doing it, and you have the tools of the trade. Since you're already a good file man, you're waaaay ahead of the game already. It's an art that pays you back every single time you do it, as you well know. I envy your supply of wood, and know that with some sweat and a few sore muscles, you've got everything you need to make some scratch. I didn't necessarily agree with the poster who said firewood wasn't all that profitable...when I was in high school, my stepdad and I cut enough to keep him fed while his two daughters were in college, and I even got some front pocket money out of it as well. We were selling at $35 a rick, or more like $50 for birch. (4' X 8' X ~20" sticks - roughly 1/3 cord) I've never seen it cheaper than that, so I don't even need to wish you luck. Instead I'll wish you good health so's you can CUT SOME WOOD! :rockn:

Ya know, I went back and re-read my post, and it's preachy or something...just trying to give an honest and hopefully helpful opinion, but regardless, I'm sorry about getting all fired up about it like some yay-hoo. :angrysoapbox:
The main thing is you're doing it, and you have the tools of the trade. Since you're already a good file man, you're waaaay ahead of the game already. It's an art that pays you back every single time you do it, as you well know. I envy your supply of wood, and know that with some sweat and a few sore muscles, you've got everything you need to make some scratch. I didn't necessarily agree with the poster who said firewood wasn't all that profitable...when I was in high school, my stepdad and I cut enough to keep him fed while his two daughters were in college, and I even got some front pocket money out of it as well. We were selling at $35 a rick, or more like $50 for birch. (4' X 8' X ~20" sticks - roughly 1/3 cord) I've never seen it cheaper than that, so I don't even need to wish you luck. Instead I'll wish you good health so's you can CUT SOME WOOD! :rockn:

geting 200 hundred a cord here for red oak.kinda off subject just seen a deal on lightly used husky 350 for a150 bucks,is that a good price and is it a pro grade saw ?

Why? Economically it seldom pays, and then only if you have invested in good equipment. $400 won't get you there. Low profit margin, high accident potential, heavy manual labor, and depending on your area could be highly competitive. I think the rest of us cut wood simply because we like to and it's a relatively healthy occupation.

You can't, and never should, do it alone either, it's just too dangerous. You need other cheap reliable labor, which is hard to find, hard to keep, and harder to manage. Further, the cost of saws is negligible compared to the operational costs of transportation and fuel. And never, never forget the safety equipment. It's incredibly low cost compared to the cost of even the smallest accident, and there will be some even if you work with trained professionals. A good splitter will be required even if you just cut firewood for yourself, and that alone is far more expensive than a saw collection if you need volume.

Not trying to talk you out of it, but there are many considerations that go into any business plan. There is a very good reason that many tree service businesses do not process firewood themselves, especially since it's so low-margin and labor intensive.

On the other hand, it's an easy start-up business, especially if you have most of the equipment already and a free near unlimited supply of good hardwood trees.

If you are just starting out, even if it's for personal firewood use, I suggest you get at least two saws, a big one for felling and bucking, and a smaller one for limbing and climbing. That also gives you a back-up saw if one of them breaks down, and they will.

For big saws, any of the larger Stihls, Huskys, Echos, or even the newer Efcos are good considerations. It should be at least over 60ccs with at least a 20in. bar or more, which tend to be pricey. Avoid the Husky Rancher, the biggest saw sold at Lowes. It's just not that good - I understand from my repair shop that the rings tend to stick in the exhaust port and destroy the saw. Anything in the Husky XP line is a good choice but can easily cost over $1k. I also have a lot of respect for the bigger Stihls as well as I have used them

Don't discount the great values that can be found in used saws. I picked up a brand new "used" Husky XP372 last year with a $300 discount at a local dealer. It was never out of the box, sat on a shelf for three years at a company that bought it at retail, and was traded in for a newer saw with the dealer. Already out of warranty, but warranties are practically worthless anyway as many on this site already know.

For a smaller saw I went really cheap. Bought a Poulan Pro 4618 from Lowes at $160, on the theory that I could buy two of those for the $320 cost of the 18" Husky, even if it was crap, as are the smaller Huskys. Since Husky owns Poulan and they are manufactured at the Husky plant, figured some parts and engineering have to be the same. Somebody please correct me if you know different.

Did not stop there. Immediately modified the exhaust (instructions are on this site) and re-tuned the saw (voids the warranty, but who cares), then refitted it with a 14in. professional bar of harder steel and a full chisel chain. At that point it was still under $210 and a real banshee of a saw for three years now, without a single breakdown after about 20+ cut cords (about 60 trees).

Recently worked alongside a large professional tree cutting team doing a wide clear cut for a major power project, and they were in absolute awe of what that little saw could do. Never seen anything like it. Small, lightweight, easy to handle, doesn't tire you out, cuts incredibly fast, and never slows down, but it does scream. It's a 42CC saw that doesn't know its small.

Good luck, whatever you do.

Husky 372XP
Poulan Pro 4618
Poulan Wild Thing (it's a joke, but it still runs, just don't use it. May be a collectors item as the worst saw on the planet. Your electric kitchen knife is a better saw)

do youknow where the thread is for the mm?

If you look at the completed listing there are quite a few 361 saws that sold for under $300 with the lowest runners at $250 and yes there are some almost new ones that brought well over $400. I have no problem selling Echo saws once I let people run them. Maybe you should run one and take one apart. A 455 Rancher has no where near the quality of a Echoo 600, more like a gutless MS290 . How many HP does my CS510 have, it outcuts a MS290 every time. Steve

Last edited:
husqavarna 350

can anyone tell me about the husky 350?found 1 for a 150 bucks.My question, is this a good saw and is it a pro saw?thanks

Back