41" bar - Ported 084 vs Ported 880

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbull660

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
also tested these two with a 41" bar. Again please remember these are two different model saws ported by two different porters.

41" Stihl Bar (2) New Stihl .404 RSLF Chains. 7pin sprocket. In hindsight I wish I had done the test with 8pin sprocket.

2u8hx0k.jpg

Here is my muff modded 661 running the same .404 yes .404 RSLF chain as the 084 and 880 with the same 7pin sprocket. Obviously different bar. I get almost through on 1st cut, but cut out near bottom, at about 1:08. So then I decided to just do another cut that ended up being 1:12.

I had some question of the results on the RSLF test above. So I did it again this time with full comp RS .404 again new chains, same bar, 7pin sprocket. This time I used a fatter tune.

In "pre" testing with the 36" bar both saws liked 12,500 the best. The cut times were fastest at 12,500 vs 12k, 12.2k 12.7k and 13k. That was with RS full comp 36" chain.

So on the 41" with full skip chain I brought the tune to around 12.8-13k. Figuring it took less to pull the full skip chain so I wanted to add RPM's.

Now here with the full comp 41" RS I dropped the tune to about 12.2k figuring I had a longer bar over the 36" RS combo which was best at 12.5k. So figured dropping 300 rpm would be about right, figuring the longer bar.

2v9awdx.jpg

I tuned them each according to what would produce the fastest times...per my pre testing.

here is one of them. I did another, more dialed in...written down somewhere I'd have to find it.

I asked randy about tune. He said 12,5k would be about ideal on the 36". That is what I got as well.

Attachments

• 84880pre1.jpg
    84880pre1.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 45
I'm really hoping cannon comes out with a reduced weight 42" for the stihl large mount

Yeah, the Cannon are a little heavy, but that is their selling point; they are a stiff bar. And you cannot just call Stihl and ask them to make you a one-off bar and get an answer from the Top Dog like this: "okay, give us a couple weeks to make the bar, we'll send it to Madsen's...".

Have you asked them if they would try to make a lightweight bar? Worth a try.

Awesome! I purchased a 36" Sugihara for the 880 and was Impressed. I wish someone could alter a 37" "Oregon Reduced Weight" to fit the saw?

Mercury Machine in Eugene, Oregon machines out the tail on the 33" and 37" Husky mount bars for 14mm Stihl large mount for the timber fallers in the area.

Latest posts

Back