440 with an 8 pin is a NO GO

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah she is tuned good. like i said its great with the 7 pin and a very impressive saw. i really enjoy felling with it. i think the 8 is just a little much when you are used to the 7

Used to may translate into dull chain or heavy-handed use, if an 8 is too much with a 20" bar....:msp_confused:

Used to may translate into dull chain or heavy-handed use, if an 8 is too much with a 20" bar....:msp_confused:

You tell em Niko!!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh::blob2:

I ran the 8 pin on my 046 today with a 24'' b/c and it worked better than the 440. I know the 660 will own a 8 pin with a 24''.

Yep!!!!!!

I'd bet if that 440 gets broke in better it will surprise you with the 8 pin and a really sharp chain on the 20" bar!!!

Last edited:
I totally agree in what works for one may not work for all that why we all have opinions, what works in our individual situation. Nothing to disagree about.Sawing techniques, chain sharpness may vary, wood may season different this far south compared to his situation, there are a lot factors involved. I have got several, right on the 8 pin messages, so a few must be using them as well. Not saying the op is guilty of it at all but I have seen the guys tlandrum is talking about. I keep my chains on the aggressive side and have had more than one want to try the 660, think in it will be invincible as they have only run saws in the 290,455 class and hang the thing up almost instantly because they are used to cutting will a dull chain or never touch the rakers. It's always good for a teehee when they do it, especially the real cocky ones.
I think it is one of the funnier thinks that happens to some of the guys that show up to visit when we are cutting logs up here at the house. They always have to show you how its done. I would consider all my saws to perform better with a light hand in the cut, maybe I've got them a little too aggressive.

I know what you are saying i have done it myself in the past and seen others do it many times. I cut somewhat light handed but i do a little pushing now and again when felling.

like i stated before today i was really trying to feel out the 440 with the 8 pin. my buddy has a ton of nice equiptment (he owns a paving biz). when he cuts wood it ussualy involves lots of heavy equipment. we dropped 10 trees and skidded them down by his parents house. he went and grabbed a bobcat skidsteer with a clamshell bucket and picked up each tree to waist level and i bucked them up. for each cut i didnt have to worry about pinching or anything so there was no need to do anything but set the saw on the log and let it cut.......

Indiansprings your post is spot on any saw,,, ported or not will cut its best according to several factors,,, feeding at its own rate of tune,,, The degree of attack you set your tooth or cutter is another, is your raker or depth guide height appropriate for the tooth,,,

Ive seen guys show up to cut and they are leaning on their saws and not going anywhere,, ask me to look at there set up and find they have never dressed their bar rails or edges and they are trying to push all that mushroomed steel thats rolled off the bar through the kerf,,,,

Hey to each his own,,, the OP dont like the 8 pin on his 440 cause it dosen't suit his cutting style,,, :cheers::cheers::cheers::agree2:

Latest posts

Back