Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so, from the donor saw I used coil wire, recoil starter (both good but looked a little better), air filter, plastic, muffler, brake handle (crack), flippy caps. maybe a few other small items.
PXL_20221102_235141138.jpgPXL_20221102_235117351.jpgPXL_20221102_211157970.jpg

anyone know what bar oil this is? came in the saw. seems pretty good.
View attachment 1029417
What ever it is ,the cloudy appearance makes it look as though it has taken on some moisture.
The lowes brand was real yellow like that for a while but more clear now.

That saw looks pretty good now!
Did the tank give you much trouble?
the tanks on these are tricky to get loose (and put back), you have to fiddle with it. you can get 2 of the 3 pins out but the 3rd one is difficult. I keep moving it around and suddenly it just comes out. If I had just left it loose and installed the buffers and put it back it would have been fine but of course I had to take it completely off so I could clean the tank and everything under it and it was a ***** to get the throttle cable connected back to the trigger. ended up taking the trigger and all the other parts out of the handle, hooking the trigger on the cable and putting it all back into the handle while trying not to disconnect the cable. took a few tries. taking the carb and carb box off makes removing and replacing the tank much easier (what I did on the doner saw) but removing and replacing the carb on these is another can of worms. the older style of Stihl is MUCH easier to work on. (I'm sure you know all this).

adjusted the carb on this and made a few cuts. got it running with a nice idle, starts easy but with the High screw all the way rich it will not "4 stroke" revving with no load. is this something wrong or is this the way of the strato saw so to speak? please ignore the not overly sharp chain. still working on my sharpening technique. very dry, hard white oak. in just a few cuts I can tell that this thing has the most power of any saw I've cut with.

With the carburetor 441 you should be able to over fuel it . Its a little tricky though, the carburetor is already set up to be pig rich and mix is chatged with the strato ports.
If your carburetor still has the limiter caps ,I would suggest removing them.
With the higher rpms on modern saws it can be easier too hear it 4 stroke coming out of a cut .

Back