45 cc and under saw??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa firewood cutter

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Need some recommendations on and under 50 cc saw, clamshell or split metal cases, What do you guys think, As before not a pro but do pick up some side/ hobbie jobs.

I like an 025 or ms250 very well for an easy to use , reliable low cost saw. Need a little more power which comes with a bit more weight , 026, ms260, Dolmar 5100 all can be found $200ish in good working condition. 60 to 70 cc saws seem to be better money makers for cutting up downed trees though. If that is what you want to do I'd put a little more money for the bigger cc and have a smaller saw to use on smaller stuff. May be a bargain price cs590 echo or any of the major brands make good 60 + cc saws.

Under 400 dollars and new.

Maruyama MCV42: a Dolmar/Makita design, usually cheaper than the original article due to people not recognizing what it is. Of course nothing wrong with the original article(s) if you can find them at a nice price.
Echo CS400: I think this is the EPA version of our own CS420. The US market also gets a Shindaiwa model which is exactly the same thing but in red.
I don't think the US market gets my little Stihl MS231, which is the 251's smaller non-EPA sibling and which I like too much for a clamshell. That would be my choice again. And, yes, I know the MS241 is better but it's also rabidly expensive.
Steer away from present Hitachi/Tanaka chainsaws: to say the plastics are flimsy would be the understatement of the week and a lot hinges on those plastics. Spares exist but are rabidly expensive and may take months to arrive. This is not the Tanaka brand we grew up to love.

Finally... these saws perform better with a .325" chain and 14" bar. They can take 16" bars, but that is as long as they get. If you want to run a 18" bar get something bigger.

I was going to recommend a 545 with a long lightweight bar for limbing work, but I see you already have a 545... I have a couple of older Husqvarna 45's and when considering the powerhead only they are the same weight as the newer 545.

Being that you have a 545 I would not recommend the Dolmar/Makita/Maryuma 42cc offerings as they are the same weight as your saw with less power. As are the Husky offerings.

The Echo Cs-400 is only .7 lb less than your 545 and again you are giving up a lot of power to lose a little weight.

If you want a light saw then you may want to drop down to the 35cc class. Lots to chose from there. The Makita 3601 will be the most powerful and also the most expensive. The Echo 352 is great once the cat is removed, before that it is a dog.

I have a 550 (virtually identical to your 545) and really could use that for all of my small tree cutting if I did not enjoy putzing around with the 30-35 cc saws I have owned.

When cutting a lot of Cedar, at the end of the day, I am less tired with my Redmax 4500 than my Jonsered 2253. The 4500 really digs in with .325 square file chain and 16 inch pro lite bar. I cut some Sycamore trees yesterday that were in the 14 inch neighborhood and did not feel under powered at all. I know Sycamore is a soft wood. Again Redmax 4500 and Makita and Echo are basically the same weight.

Going to look at a used dolmar 5105 at my local dealer tonight, like the specs and look of this saw.
.......have a look at the ps-420 421 also.... very good/inexpensive saws for the size ....thought you were looking for a under 50cc? the 5105 a good saw but is a 50cc?

Attachments

• 20171213_134439_resized.jpg
    20171213_134439_resized.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
Back