460 or 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgt7546

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Currently I have a 192t, 250, 391, and 361.
I heat with wood and harvest maybe 20 cords of hardwood a year (my 14 y/o sells what we don't burn).

Today I was out cutting a 26 inch locust with my 391 and 20 inch bar. The saw does well for what it is, but it occurred to me that I "need" a bigger saw, as I routinley run into wood in the 20 to 30 inch diameter.

Looking at the Stihl website, I see that the 460 and 660 are about 100 bucks apart. My mindset is if I'm laying out a grand, I'm not going to let +/- one hundred bucks be a factor. I'm leaning towards the 660, with the thinking that if I get a 460, or even a 441CM, at some point I'm going to say, I should have (another) bigger saw. Between the 460 and 660 which would you choose, and also what's the largest bar you'd run on either saw for hardwood. I'm not looking to use the saw daily or even close, but I want a saw in my garage that is big enough to tackle the larger stuff I do run into.

Should have just used the 361 and then these thoughts wouldnt have been running through your head...:hmm3grin2orange:

The 460 would be a nice addition to your collection. then in a couple years get a 660 too...or wait for the 661...:msp_thumbsup:

IMHO, its a no brainer for me. 660 all the way. I believe ya get a lot more saw for the money. I love my 660. I had it ported and love it even better. Like you say, a 100 bucks shouldnt hold ya up from a 660. Youll never be disappointed with a 660 IMO. I run anywhere from a 25"-36" bar on mine. However, my fav bar would be the Tsumura 30" Light bar. Heres some vids of my 660 stock and ported.

Stihl MS660 Magnum Stock - YouTube

Ported 660 w/ 7 pin rim - YouTube

I have a 460 and an 066 if 30'' is max I would go with the 460 it uses less fuel and is lighter.I usaly only us my 066 to mill with or if the tree is 36'' or more will then use the 066 it isa great saw but wears me down quick I can use the 460 longer before I start to wear down.

considering the 660 is only .7kg heavier and 15cc more than a 460 i'd be getting the 660 hands down... and the 066/660 is stihls best pro saw as we all know ! the 460 is a great saw!!!! but personally i don't get my knickers in a knot over a little extra weight, when the saws in the wood the weight isn't a factor ...but having more power is always gonna help ....just my opinion.

I've had and run both, I'm getting older, the 660 is a fat bottomed gal compared to the 460, buy yourself a 460 spend 200-250.00 sending it to Terry Landrum having it woods ported an it will eat a stock 660 alive. I sold the 660 and will never look back, seldom cut over 36" wood, most of the time 25-30". A good woods port will improve the saws performance 35-40 percent. You'll have more power than a stock 660 without the extra wight and bulk, makes a big difference at the end of a long day.
I've just got a 441 M-tronic, just had it a couple days, not enough handle time to form an opinion yet, my oldest son is impressed.

considering the 660 is only .7kg heavier and 15cc more than a 460 i'd be getting the 660 hands down... and the 066/660 is stihls best pro saw as we all know ! the 460 is a great saw!!!! but personally i don't get my knickers in a knot over a little extra weight, when the saws in the wood the weight isn't a factor ...but having more power is always gonna help ....just my opinion.

IMO, he would so much wiser to get the 660. Not that much weight difference at all. He wont even notice it. Plus the 660 commands such excellent re-sale value. But the main point for me is price. I just cannot see tellin a man to get a 460 when he can have a 660 for just a 100 dollars more......::thumbsup::

BTW, the guy that ported my saw in the vid was tree monkey (Scott Kunz)

Comparing a 460 to a 660 is apples/oranges. For firewood- a 460 is by far as much saw as you'll ever need. I'd say a 32" bar is where that saw runs best. These guys telling you to buy a 660 for what you're describing don't seem to really know what a saw like that was designed for.

If your going to be totin the saw around from tree to tree a 660 gets heavy REAL fast. Of course I'm kind of a wimp,

From what I read Jon, he wont be usin it that much. However, I am pretty biased towards 660's.......:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Comparing a 460 to a 660 is apples/oranges. For firewood- a 460 is by far as much saw as you'll ever need. I'd say a 32" bar is where that saw runs best. These guys telling you to buy a 660 for what you're describing don't seem to really know what a saw like that was designed for.

Seems like you dont know much yourself pard. If your sayin a 460 magnum is a firewood saw.

IMO, he would so much wiser to get the 660. Not that much weight difference at all. He wont even notice it. Plus the 660 commands such excellent re-sale value. But the main point for me is price. I just cannot see tellin a man to get a 460 when he can have a 660 for just a 100 dollars more......::thumbsup::

BTW, the guy that ported my saw in the vid was tree monkey (Scott Kunz)
well my friend at least we know only the best stihl saw will do for us :hmm3grin2orange: they can call us oldschool or pretend they know more than others ...but like I mentioned in my first post this is my opinion, and every man is entitled to there own

well my friend at least we know only the best stihl saw will do for us :hmm3grin2orange: they can call us oldschool or pretend they know more than others ...but like I mentioned in my first post this is my opinion, and every man is entitled to there own

Its funny. The 660 aint that heavy. I recently weighed a 372xpw,390xp and a 660. 1 pound seperated them all. The 372 was 15, 390 was 16 and the 660 was 17. I believe the power to weight ratio of the 660 is phenominal!

Its funny. The 660 aint that heavy. I recently weighed a 372xpw,390xp and a 660. 1 pound seperated them all. The 372 was 15, 390 was 16 and the 660 was 17. I believe the power to weight ratio of the 660 is phenominal!
exactly bro, the 660's .7kg more than a 460 whats that a couple of wedges, a pair of flip flop aussie thongs !? lol

I've run my Dad's 066 and a friend's 046, and I know I'd prefer the 046. Neither one is a firewood saw, but you have those already. You need something for the big stuff.

I think it depends on how big a guy you are and how old you are. I have a friend who is 6' 3", probably 225 or so, and all he wants is a 660. He's also half my age.

I liked the advice about looking at the size of the wood you intend to cut. But if you are a strong guy and therefore don't mind the extra weight, spend the C note. You won't regret it and if you do, you can sell the 660 and buy something lighter. And it's a heck of a saw.

Seems like you dont know much yourself pard. If your sayin a 460 magnum is a firewood saw.

I bucked up one doug fir this year that produced 2 1/2 cords of wood. Come out to the west coast and cut with some grown-ups before you start spouting your mouth off. Pard.

I bucked up one doug fir this year that produced 2 1/2 cords of wood. Come out to the west coast and cut with some grown-ups before you start spouting your mouth off. Pard.

I believe you started it my friend. Sayin me and the other people that suggested a 660 didnt know what we were talkin about......and you suggest a 460 for a firewood saw? 10-4 PARD. You win.

Latest posts

Back