460 or 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have both ,32 inch bars on each ,i end up grabbing the 460 most of the time unless have some real big rounds to buck up

I was in the same boat about a month ago went with the 660. Only on my 3rd tank with it though. So far I can say i'm glad I got it. I just need it to freeze so I can get to the woods. If I bought the 460 I would always be wondering what the 660 was like. This way I don't care as much what the 460 is like for now.

I think that either the 460 or 660 would be a great choice. I was trying to fill a gap between a Stihl 039 and an MS660. So I was looking for an MS460 or maybe a 044. I found a late model 066 advertised for $350 bucks that I am sure would have sold the first day if the seller had written an appropriate CL ad. It took me days to finally determine what model the saw was and I was able to see it, run it and purchase it. It has a 24" bar on it so it will serve as my "in between" saw. In the meantime, if that doesn't work out i can easily sell it and get something different. Think about this. If you were willing to be patient and wait for the right used ones, you could probably buy one of each for the price of a new one. Use them and sell the one you like the least. So if it was me, I would be looking out for either and buy the first one that seemed like a deal. If you are set on new then I would strongly recommend the MS660. Because, based on what you already have, you will likely only bring out the "big gun" on relatively rare occasions. The 660 for sure will do anything you call on it for. And you won't be thinking "woulda coulda shoulda"

Sell your 361..
Get a 441 CM and a 660..
That way you have an new a/v 70+cc saw and 90+cc saw..
(just kidding on selling the 361..)

I've found that if your gonna cut very hard wood in the 30" + range, the 880 is a better tool than the 660. The 660 will do it but it will get pretty hot and take a lot more time. As was mentioned earlier, if you can afford it and don't have to haul the weight around much, then by all means get the 880 now. You can always get a 660 later or maybe even a 661. Until you have the big one you'll always wonder what if?
I found myself using my ported 880 with a lightweight bar more this year than my 066. But thats because I needed to use a 36" bar in hardwood. In softwood I'd go 660 unless stumping, then the 880 is the way to go as well. Plus if you ever want to mill you wont have any concerns with, does my saw have enough power?

it's clearly the "11" on a scale of 1 to 10. If you are an "11" kind of guy then who cares what any one else uses and when. Nothing feels better then pulling out the 66 and tellin everyone else to **** off. Nothing sounds like a 660. nothing pulls like a 660. I have very little need for the 3 I have but try and tell me I don't love each of them. Firewood Schmirewood I like the saw. Having a real big saw and long bar open you up to working real big wood. Nothing wrong with a 460 but its just a "10"...

The type and species of wood matter more then the size. I run into some red oak that needs a big saw and a small bar. I get some pine and poplar that a long bar and small saw can handle well. Now some folks out west think that they got big stuff....go visit our Aussie pals then tell me about hard wood.

Last edited:
To me they are both true production saws and no matter which saw you decide up on spend the extra $50 or so and get the R model, much better than the straight 460 or 660. The high output oiler alone makes it worth the extra money and you all so get the large duel dogs with roller chain catcher, larger clutch cover with extended chip deflicter, carberator with larger jetting and the 3/4 wrap handel. Add a DP muffler and you have a very impressive saw. Safe cutting all.

I never heard the wrap model had larger jets in the carbs?:msp_confused:

The oiler and wrap handle is worth it if you like the wrap. The oiler parts can be bought for about $35 last time I checked.

I never heard the wrap model had larger jets in the carbs?:msp_confused:

The oiler and wrap handle is worth it if you like the wrap. The oiler parts can be bought for about $35 last time I checked.

Not sure about the stock jet Mike, but the shop always swaps mine out so I can lean it out enough to deal with elevation. Maybe that's what he was trying to get at? They have different numbered jets......can't remember what number they stuff in mine....just something that lets me lean it out enough to cut at 7500 feet without it blubbering away.

I've heard of swapping to smaller for elevation and larger when porting to get the adjustment closer to 1 turn but not straight from stihl.

To me they are both true production saws and no matter which saw you decide up on spend the extra $50 or so and get the R model, much better than the straight 460 or 660. The high output oiler alone makes it worth the extra money and you all so get the large duel dogs with roller chain catcher, larger clutch cover with extended chip deflicter, carberator with larger jetting and the 3/4 wrap handel. Add a DP muffler and you have a very impressive saw. Safe cutting all.

That's a problem I'm running into. I didn't check on the 460 or 660, but I called three different shops about pricing a 441 M-tronic "R" model. All three shops told me they don't even show a full-wrap model in their catalog. I'm told that those are west coast saws and Stihl doesn't make them available regionally to my market area. If it were one shop I'd say maybe, but three different shops?

That's a problem I'm running into. I didn't check on the 460 or 660, but I called three different shops about pricing a 441 M-tronic "R" model. All three shops told me they don't even show a full-wrap model in their catalog. I'm told that those are west coast saws and Stihl doesn't make them available regionally to my market area. If it were one shop I'd say maybe, but three different shops?

?? weird, I live east of the Mississippi River and its no problem to get them, I've sold several to different people and all we get are the wrapped model 441's............ then swap out the handle for the correct one, LOL.

Sam

The way i see it if the dealers cant or dont wont to help you get a R wrap model then those dealers ant worth bothering with.:msp_thumbdn:

Latest posts

Back