461 vs 372XT vs 576XT vs 7910

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have very little trigger time with any saws in this class so I am in no way casting doubt on anyone's thoughts. But it seemed a short time back the 461 owned this class and now many folks are touting the Dolmar as the class killer instead. Were the earlier 461's stronger than the newer ones and/or the new Dolmars stronger than the older ones? Or was it just that there was once more Stihl fans on the site than there are now?

I own a 576xpw and a 7910 so I feel like I can compare fairly. The 7910 got a 13.5k coil in it and runs faster in 28 inch wood, but the power increase is not enough that I get much more done at the end of the day. The tanks last about the same in both saws, but the 7910s is bigger and guzzles gas. The HD filter seals better then the husky (i grease the husky) but it needs to be cleaned more often. 7910 oils better.

The 7910 has bucking dogs on it, they are not great for falling (but not bad enough that I spend money changing them). The clutch cover seems to clear better on the 7910, but, the 7910 needs to get tuned more and starts harder. 576 doesnt really ever need to be touched and starts insanely easily. I like the choke set up better. The 576 is easier to change the bars and chains on, the Dolmar chain tensioner is much fussier. I cannot tell the difference in how smooth they are though. Both feel the same to me. When you think about the extra gas and oil you carry with the Dolmar (not a lot, but noticeable), they weigh the exact same.

The 372XT feels like a harder starting marginally lighter version of the 576. I really cant tell the same running other then the 576 being a bit more forgiving torque wise.

Never seen a Dalmer before or saw shop for one. Maybe that's a good thing?
So you will need a bucket of parts maybe?
Even a well known porter aground here took it on as a pet project after the discontinuation of the original 372 but they just didn't catch on in industry. Neither did the 576. Perhaps if they could have shaved some weight on the 576 it would had sold.
The 461? The roughest saw...the smothest saw. Its got the built in power but its got to be raced out properly with the back pressure out of it and the anti-vib handlebars then its way smoother than the AV mounts (372) coming on and off the trigger. However! That's half the battle, its a square chisel saw only. Then I would call it the best saw on the market between Stihl & Husqvarna. Not a big fan of the stock 372 x torq although I've been running the chassis for 21 yrs.
Things on it are cheap now. Chokes, trigger locks and on/off switches.
Those three things mentioned are my biggest expenses that add up fast.
Its the most versatile saw out of the bunch, that I'm sure of. very fast maneuvering saw.
I had bought a new 575 In 2006. I only ran it for a shift. Again, good built in power and very smooth.
For stock saws, out of the 3 saws I would say 576. The 372 has to many cheesy parts for me to recomend and the 461 is rough. Dalmer sounds good but service may be a concern?? If your are not in a hurry then its OK and likely much cheaper on parts as well

:havingarest::havingarest:
I have very little trigger time with any saws in this class so I am in no way casting doubt on anyone's thoughts. But it seemed a short time back the 461 owned this class and now many folks are touting the Dolmar as the class killer instead. Were the earlier 461's stronger than the newer ones and/or the new Dolmars stronger than the older ones? Or was it just that there was once more Stihl fans on the site than there are now?
they are all at home soaking their hands and I'm out soaking my:drinking:

Let's see videos of timed cuts between stock ones of each model or ported ones done by same builder. Same bar and chains. Otherwise we're just talking personal preferences imo.

Good stuff.

What makes the 385 weigh more I wonder? Did they slim something down as the model years went along?
Maybe the bigger bore of the 390 reduces cylinder weight. Maybe if the walbro in the 390 is slightly lighter than the tilly in 385 that could be something too but those are the only two minor differences I can think of.

Let's see videos of timed cuts between stock ones of each model or ported ones done by same builder. Otherwise we're just talking personal preferences imo.
Timed cuts do not mean much in productivity. The only way I can tell the difference in power between my 576 and 7900 is with a stop watch, and it really is not much. If you really want to see a pissing contest between them and you are close enough to me Id be happy to drag them out one day.

Never seen a Dalmer before or saw shop for one. Maybe that's a good thing?
So you will need a bucket of parts maybe?
Even a well known porter aground here took it on as a pet project after the discontinuation of the original 372 but they just didn't catch on in industry. Neither did the 576. Perhaps if they could have shaved some weight on the 576 it would had sold.
The 461? The roughest saw...the smothest saw. Its got the built in power but its got to be raced out properly with the back pressure out of it and the anti-vib handlebars then its way smoother than the AV mounts (372) coming on and off the trigger. However! That's half the battle, its a square chisel saw only. Then I would call it the best saw on the market between Stihl & Husqvarna. Not a big fan of the stock 372 x torq although I've been running the chassis for 21 yrs.
Things on it are cheap now. Chokes, trigger locks and on/off switches.
Those three things mentioned are my biggest expenses that add up fast.
Its the most versatile saw out of the bunch, that I'm sure of. very fast maneuvering saw.
I had bought a new 575 In 2006. I only ran it for a shift. Again, good built in power and very smooth.
For stock saws, out of the 3 saws I would say 576. The 372 has to many cheesy parts for me to recomend and the 461 is rough. Dalmer sounds good but service may be a concern?? If your are not in a hurry then its OK and likely much cheaper on parts as well

I never found the 461 to be very shaky, but I never have run one much. The handles were taped on one of them, but I overall like the Huskys better, handle grip angle works better for me. I noticed the three biggest issues to be the choke, on off switch, and the starter side bolts for the chain brake. Triggers never seem to give me much trouble. If you like the 372 you will like the Dolmar a lot more except for fuel consumption. It runs strong enough I do not feel the need for a 390xp. If you get the wrap I think they have better dogs on them, I also understand they were updated since mine was made.

I never had issues with parts, my local dealers are always on order (week for parts) and I can get Dolmar parts in the same frame for a little bit less, but with shipping for just one or two things it hurts.

Timed cuts do not mean much in productivity. The only way I can tell the difference in power between my 576 and 7900 is with a stop watch, and it really is not much. If you really want to see a pissing contest between them and you are close enough to me Id be happy to drag them out one day.
I respectfully disagree, a saw is either faster or slower than another one.

I respectfully disagree, a saw is either faster or slower than another one.
Well no **** sherlock! I just do not think it is enough of a difference that it is a major factor in choosing between these two saws. They run close enough that everything else is a more important.

The total productivity in my day is not noticeably influenced by which of the two saws I use, so I think that the stop watch times cuts is a moot point if that is the only time you really notice the difference.

I am very serious though, if you want to run mine side by side shoot me a pm, always happy to show the toys off.

To me a 372 is a blah feeling saw,I've only ran a couple that weren't,it also seems like there's something constantly wrong with them.
I have ported and built saws for a long time and can think of a few stihls that came back,no dolmars and almost every single 372 I've sent out has a problem in short order.
It's always something piddly buy still it's always something.
The fuel line and coil are micky mouse at best.
Carry them on a skidder long and you'll wear the seam in the tank until it leaks fuel and the bar oil will run out of it in the summer.
Good saw I guess but I don't have any luck with them.

Well no **** sherlock! I just do not think it is enough of a difference that it is a major factor in choosing between these two saws. They run close enough that everything else is a more important.

The total productivity in my day is not noticeably influenced by which of the two saws I use, so I think that the stop watch times cuts is a moot point if that is the only time you really notice the difference.

I am very serious though, if you want to run mine side by side shoot me a pm, always happy to show the toys off.
The best handling saw will be the most productive saw.

Latest posts

Back