461 vs 372XT vs 576XT vs 7910

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well no **** sherlock! I just do not think it is enough of a difference that it is a major factor in choosing between these two saws. They run close enough that everything else is a more important.

The total productivity in my day is not noticeably influenced by which of the two saws I use, so I think that the stop watch times cuts is a moot point if that is the only time you really notice the difference.

I am very serious though, if you want to run mine side by side shoot me a pm, always happy to show the toys off.
Good point there I agree
To me a 372 is a blah feeling saw,I've only ran a couple that weren't,it also seems like there's something constantly wrong with them.
I have ported and built saws for a long time and can think of a few stihls that came back,no dolmars and almost every single 372 I've sent out has a problem in short order.
It's always something piddly buy still it's always something.
The fuel line and coil are micky mouse at best.
Carry them on a skidder long and you'll wear the seam in the tank until it leaks fuel and the bar oil will run out of it in the summer.
Good saw I guess but I don't have any luck with them.
You've described my 372 perfectly.

Everyone's got good points. It's like Most all major saws brands has something about them that could be better. Or has the same predictable problem on that model.
Like some husky coils. If they lasted like most Stihl coils that would be awesome.

Well no **** sherlock! I just do not think it is enough of a difference that it is a major factor in choosing between these two saws. They run close enough that everything else is a more important.

The total productivity in my day is not noticeably influenced by which of the two saws I use, so I think that the stop watch times cuts is a moot point if that is the only time you really notice the difference.

I am very serious though, if you want to run mine side by side shoot me a pm, always happy to show the toys off.

I can see your point... Another take on it is that things like fuel and oil capacity and consumption, ease of refuelling/oiling, saw weight's influence on fatigue, relative amount of vibration and influence on fatigue, balance (affected by B&C length) and influence on fatigue, ease of changing and adjusting chains, design considerations that affect air filter clogging, ease of clearing air filter... Lots of variables that can influence productivity over the course of a day/week/year. How to measure all of that would be a challenge... Timing cuts of donuts is the easy thing to measure but it doesn't tell the whole story of productivity (which probably doesn't really matter for any but the full time professional feller).

Me, through experience I know when I'm better off with my 461 in my hands rather than my 271 and vice versa... To me having both saws helps me be more productive.

Everyone's got good points. It's like Most all major saws brands has something about them that could be better. Or has the same predictable problem on that model.
Like some husky coils. If they lasted like most Stihl coils that would be awesome.
To me a 7910 is the best parts of both stihl and husky in one saw.
They run like a 90cc in a 70cc package.

You lost me with "same builder" and "timed cuts"??
I'm all down for a "Deadliest Warrior" event for 70-80 cc range but timed cuts may be somthing to break a tie breaker if two saws were so close to picck after multi activites & tests were complete.
Its about everything other than time. Two seconds doesn't mean ****. Its everything else that matters.

It be kool just to see what one is faster just for ***** and grins. I'll make sure my blade is sharp on my 044 :D. I ain't never cleaned the filter.

To me a 372 is a blah feeling saw,I've only ran a couple that weren't
It's always something piddly buy still it's always something.
The fuel line and coil are micky mouse at best.
A blah saw? A properly built 372 will run right with most any 7900. And a properly built 390XP should lay waste to one.

What's the problem with the coil and fuel line?

Things on it are cheap now. Chokes, trigger locks and on/off switches.
Those three things mentioned are my biggest expenses that add up fast.
I don't follow. Those parts haven't changed in a decade or more and are generally the same on the 372, 385, 390, and 395.

A blah saw? A properly built 372 will run right with most any 7900. And a properly built 390XP should lay waste to one.

I don't follow. Those parts haven't changed in a decade or more and are generally the same on the 372, 385, 390, and 395.
The way I see it is, is the fuel line tends to wear out fast between the tank section and carb base plate and you have to take care not to make it too long or too short between the two sections or it kinks. If you compare that setup to a 044 which is what I have on hand, mine had the original fuel line from the 90's and it's still pliable and useable before I switched it out for the newer green ethanol resistant line. The Allen head bolts strip out more easily than the torx on the dolmar and stihl. The bolts rattle loose quite easily unless you recheck them after first heat cycle or use loctite. Don't have to recheck them on a stihl, there is a lock washer built into the screws. The gas tanks do tend to leak between the seams. Though it can be fixed with a solder gun but you got to make sure there is no gas fumes or gas in tank. It's a ugly repair but it works and saves 100$. The case gasket on mine leaked on and off, mostly in changing temperatures, probably due to wear and age but again my 044 never leaked and its older, threebond or some sealant on gasket should bulletproof this. The 372 does have a good air filter and spring AV compared to the stihls. I've already had to repair the coil on my 372, the wire lead socket fell out of the coil and I had to solder it back in place, my 394xp had a hot restart problem and it ended up being a dying coil (not a 372 but it relates). Never had a coil problem on any other saws I worked on so far. The clutch side seal setup is pretty complicated as well, more than it needs to be. I don't think he meant blah as in how it runs but more as in that the others are tougher built "worksaws". I think personally I'd work with a 372 over a 044/460/461, as I like the spring AV smoothness and you can build one out of parts cheap compared to everything else. If it's built right and care taken to bulletproof it's potential problems they are a really nice saw imo. But again like I said in one of my first posts I'll take a 7900 series over any other 70cc there the best of both stihl and husky.

I've seen some fast 372's in cants and I've ported a few of them that ran ok.

Maybe your running the wrong 7900

Nobody said anything about a 390.

Same bar and chain and 8pin.
The 372 has a big carb and quite a bit of work involved.
The 7900 is just a ported work saw.

Back