461 vs 372XT vs 576XT vs 7910

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl for work Husky for play .
I wouldn't do the job if I couldn't enjoy myself.
I see it differently. There is many saws I'd like to own or own again they'd come out as often as a fine wine and a Jimmy Hendrex vinyl
Its a short list I tell ya of the saws that will walk with me through a days work

I see a 3 page response from Jamie soon ......
this thread is a laugh and a half..
Phone is not typing properly so may have to cut it short

In the end to the op and anyone else, sadly there is no "chainsaw god" with the final say so that rules all!!!!

It all all comes down to your decision.....me, I guess you could call me a stubborn one...whether a guy has ported saws for years, or fell huge timber on the west coast, in the end it's my/your money...and my preference.....in the end the saw is a means to make the owner money...does he want comfort....does he want a work horse....does he want to save money.....a lot of variables, and a lot of saw brands to choose from.....who's right and who's wrong?!?!?!?

I love to read threads like this, but I wonder alot of times if the question is answered long before anyone replies!?!?!?

For reasons in order I went with the Dolly
1-Price 700.00 out the door PHO
2-Power best in class stock
3-Av just as good or better
4-Oiler best in class
5-Really miss my 6400...
Can't wait to hear your review congrats....

There are no dolmars around me, and I would love to runnone....look forward to your review!!!

For reasons in order I went with the Dolly 700.00 out the door PHO
2-Power best in class stock
3-Av just as good or better
4-Oiler best in class
5-Really miss my 6400...
This post would need severe editing had you ran a 681 Solo. Anyways all saws were pretty decent choices. When Solo designed the 6400-7900 series they did a pretty decent job right off the bat.

This post would need severe editing had you ran a 681 Solo. Anyways all saws were pretty decent choices. When Solo designed the 6400-7900 series they did a pretty decent job right off the bat.
Kind of a moot point since the 681 is NLA in the United States.

I have ran the Solo and timed them against a 7900 and they are to close to call plus they are heavier

7 bills otd? Great price. Anyone we know?
Cost you about 800 here but still 200 cheaper than a 461.
To me if I was going to spend almost 1100 on a 461 I would just spend a couple hundred more and get the mtronic 661.

A 1000+$ 70cc is pointless since the 90cc mtronic is so close in price.

Those that know can get a 461 for $875.
I'm sure of that but your average logger or wood cutter has no connection so he walks in and buys one off the shelf for 1016$ plus tax.

Those in the know who can get a 461 for 875 can get a 661 for 200$ more just like anyone else so I still don't see the point of a 70cc saw.

7 bills otd? Great price. Anyone we know?

No...it was from a amish dealer that is now pretty much a husky dealer and this 7910 was the last one. There is a major makita dealer a mile from him and since dolmars are no longer existent other than in makita name he is done with them although he will still warranty them.

Hello sir....I can see you have years of experience and have ran all these saws......

Yeah I have a little bit of experience.

It was 1989
tradin' sawdust for a dime
Hot loggin' export on my faaaavorite coast
42" was my introduction
101 cc would hurt no production
Slingin'
Sweet Husqvarna all summer long...
Slingin'
Sweet Husqvarna all summer long.

I've ran a saw or two since then
but a can't quite remember when
I think it may have been yesterday.
Sniffin' gasoline from the bottle
Never think about tomorrow
Slingin' sweet ol' Husqvarna all along

.....so exscuse my ignorance, but when you are talking about the back pressure in the 461, are you saying the saw likes back pressure or not....

Also what do you mean by square chisel saw...
Good morning to you Sir.
Yes it seems like yesterday though It was this month and I was a 21 yrs old running the new 2101. Now a little bit about my childhood. J/k (that ones for Brian)
One thing I learnt early and that was....I don't give a **** what the saw likes. Its all about me me me. I'm saying the 461 can be a very smooth saw but it seems it takes someone who's been there to get to it there. There is a X Faller that put some time in with Walkers saw shop on Vancouver Island that makes the 461 scream without a ripple in it for vibration. They make my 372s feel like i'm running a gas hedge trimmer with a bent shaft in comparison and my saws are hard to beat. That's why I have stayed with that model forever. I believe that the low back pressure is a big key to that but i'm not sure exactly of some of the other things he does? the saw has instant response then instantly drops off to what appears to be about a 2 second stall where it is actually distracting because i look down all the time thinking it stalled. Most saws take about 3.5 to 4 seconds to rev back down and resistance causes bouncing [shuttering] that transfers to the back handle. Much or the Av mounting i have used are bad for this. I have seen guys sell their ported 461 because of vibrations that ran square chisel chain. there are ways to port them to help it and there are ways to make it worse. The reference earlier "square chisel saw" is of my opinion that i wouldn't go out and spend $3500 0n a couple of ported 461 without dropping more money on a square grinder at the same time. Its a smoother cut

[QUOTE="Westboastfaller, post: 6269674, [\QUOTE]

It's funny we all talk about chainsaw like they are Sports cars, I will admit I am as bad as any....

I will say this....my dad loves coon hunting, (I don't know if any of you have ever been)........any way he hunts with walker dogs, and won't hardly feed another breed....does that mean a blue tick won't tree a coon????

In the end, a guy will run what he likes, what he is used to....

I don't follow. Those parts haven't changed in a decade or more and are generally the same on the 372, 385, 390, and 395.
I don't think the parts have ever changed part # or them being significantly different looking than they once were but different things started happening over the last ten yrs and less in some cases.
The original problems with the switch and still remains to be is the connectors coming off. After a while they would just stop working and if you finally got sick of the connectors coming off and fixed them good then you couldn't unplug it to see if that was the reason they had no spark.
You end up pulling it off the wire on the hill. Now the last 8-9 yrs ago the switches started to separate in two pieces. I believe the last one out of the new saw came apart in the first hour. The saw stops so I snap it back together then it starts happening every fifting minutes then I pull it off. Then the end vibs off. I think one out of three has a functional switch.
That's because I replaced it and its a new non ported new saw and I can't rob it because the wires need fixing again:crazy2:If the switch works then I won't bother putting a spare choke on as they snap in half like a twig.vI just clean the filter and prime it in the morning then I won't need the choke. Trigger locks use to be rare to break but now I'm lucky to get a month out of one. The vent elbow came out of the tank on one and the other plugged so I pulled it out to clear it. From about 2009 to 2014 I ran ported ground up rebuilds and never had issues with running older chokes other than them poping off. Same with trigger locks. Those two things seem to be in the last 3-4 yrs.
The oilerscseem to be giving me trouble now too.Its sad to see It with fisher price parts. The saw was design in the late 80' but they still had the 266 268 and had the 272 for their next release. I remember the 266 going down in quality in the end when they moved assembly to the USA

Latest posts

Back