461 vs 372XT vs 576XT vs 7910

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS460WOODCHUCK

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So lets hear it...not the 046, 460, 372XP or 7900 but rather whats available today at the dealers. Speed, torque, dependability, oiling capacity, weight, av fuel consumption and so on. Which is the top dog in this here fight?

576 is a bit heavier than the dolmar or 372 but is the smoothest saw out of the bunch, and the only one with a computer carb available. Of all my autotune saws the 576 starts and runs like a "normal" saw.

I live in a town where logging is the màin industry and no one sells that model around here ,home depot may have some homeowner 50 cc makitas,is the dolmar availiable more on the rh coast ?
Logging is the only thing here for most and most run stihls but I'm starting to see more and more dolmars.

A good 7910 will out cut all of them and hang with most 90cc stock or ported.

Excellent anti vib and filter,oils better by far and doesn't break.

O yeh It's also close to 400$ cheaper than a 661 and 200$ cheaper than a 461.

It feels lighter than the others but I don't know for sure.
This one cuts good.

jmssaws, you just cut the biggest saw I ever seen in Missouri. You must be in the Mississippi delta area.:sweet:
I'm 50 miles west of the river in the Ozarks.
That's a yard tree that blew over at dad's.

So lets hear it...not the 046, 460, 372XP or 7900 but rather whats available today at the dealers. Speed, torque, dependability, oiling capacity, weight, av fuel consumption and so on. Which is the top dog in this here fight?
If your gonna include the 576 you might as well include a 385/390xp it weighs the same lol with about twice as much power. They are smooth though with more torque than a 372.

Seen a couple 576xpg auto tune saws this last year going for $800 Canadian brand new with bar and chain! Don't think the rest are even close to that price. Price being equal I would look very hard at 461 [emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If your gonna include the 576 you might as well include a 385/390xp it weighs the same lol with about twice as much power. They are smooth though with more torque than a 372.

Right, I like the torque of my 385xp, don't like the finicky high RPM 372 much. Steve

I was just referring to the so said 70cc models offered today. I have had the 390 and 395 and I didn't really care for them. Just not for me, to heavy. As for the 576 I have never held one and was just curious...not anymore though...

The 576 is a damn good saw. It balances perfect with a 28" bar and is in fact lighter in weight than the 390.
The 576 and 461 are neck and neck in performance.
The 372 shouldn't be in this group.
I like how a 576 runs and I would certainly take it over a 372 but it's just so big and heavy.
Good running saw though

Pick whichever one feels right in your hands. I've owned all of the saws in question except the 7910. I had a 7900. Even the 385/390 as mentioned in a post. They're all only as good as the guy pulling the trigger and sharpening the chain.

IMHO, They're all very nice saws.
The 461 is the least polished/feels old school. Good running saw that pulls hard and feel like you're gettin it done.
The 372XT is noticeably heavier than the 372OE. To me it is not much lighter feeling than a 576. IDC what the scale says, I'm talking balance and feel. Nice smooth running saw though. I like a 20" bar on this size saw though so I prefer the OE's powerband, For a 28, Id go XT.
The 576 is a very nice running saw. Box stock I didn't care for it's drivability but with just a muffler mod I really liked it. Much better throttle response and spool up and actually sounded like a saw. Running it is Kinda like a stihl 460 with no vibrations. The smoothness makes it seem slower than it is. It;s deceptive.
The 7910 I have not been around yet but have had a 7900. A VERY sneaky saw. Quiet and smooth. Feels kinda mundane/electric like but it is a very fast saw. I personally didnt care for their HD filter setup. The components just seemed cheesy. The handle spacing is much more open than the stihl or husky which even though it's light weight, makes it seem like a bigger saw to me. Dolmar in general seems like what you would get if a Stihl and a Husky had a baby. They're a good mix of both companies design strategies.

As for the 385/390's, Im still trying to decide if I like them or not lol. I think its the smoothness thing that makes them seem ho-hum to me. My ported 064 feels way faster than my ported 390 in the same log but I bet theres less than a second difference in a 30 second cut. But my smile lasts longer with the ported 064, so that has to count for something.

The 576 is a damn good saw. It balances perfect with a 28" bar and is in fact lighter in weight than the 390.
The 576 and 461 are neck and neck in performance.
The 372 shouldn't be in this group.
385/390 is 14.99 lbs dry and 576 is 14.5 dry factory spec. I've owned both and there so close in weight and so far apart in power. Just my personal preference. I've not owned a 7900 series but ran many of them and I'll take one over any 70cc, almost the same power as a 385/390 and weight of a 372....winner. However...a really good ported 372 is something else :eek:. This is really just a argument of personal preference.

385/390 is 14.99 lbs dry and 576 is 14.5 dry factory spec. I've owned both and there so close in weight and so far apart in power. Just my personal preference. I've not owned a 7900 series but ran many of them and I'll take one over any 70cc, almost the same power as a 385/390 and weight of a 372....winner. However...a really good ported 372 is something else :eek:. This is really just a argument of personal preference.
I have a 576 and 390 (both clean) sitting here side by side and I'll assure you there's more than .49 difference.
A ported 372 is a different story and should easily hang with all those upper 80cc saws.

Latest posts

Back