461 vs 372XT vs 576XT vs 7910

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me a 372 is a blah feeling saw,I've only ran a couple that weren't,it also seems like there's something constantly wrong with them.
I have ported and built saws for a long time and can think of a few stihls that came back,no dolmars and almost every single 372 I've sent out has a problem in short order.
It's always something piddly buy still it's always something.
The fuel line and coil are micky mouse at best.
Carry them on a skidder long and you'll wear the seam in the tank until it leaks fuel and the bar oil will run out of it in the summer.
Good saw I guess but I don't have any luck with them.

What are you talking about?

Bar Oil leaks from them in the Damn Winter.

What are you talking about?

Bar Oil leaks from them in the Damn Winter.
I love the sound of a 372 rolling around in the bed of my truck,I also like how it prevents everything neer it from rusting.

I think I'll just dump a gallon of oil in the bed of my truck and throw a 16lb bowling ball in and bring a stihl

I love the sound of a 372 rolling around in the bed of my truck,I also like how it prevents everything neer it from rusting.

I think I'll just dump a gallon of oil in the bed of my truck and throw a 16lb bowling ball in and bring a stihl

The best Swedish Sideways balancing Engineering ever conceived.

On the plus side, your tailgate will never rust, & you will be able to start the Saw you are thinking of bringing.

#GoodCoil

So what do you use when you need a 70cc saw, a 461?
Whatever is in hand when I need a 70cc saw. Half the time I am using my Husky 50 when I need a bigger saw, but its less work then walking all the way over to the truck to get the right saw.

Sounds like it's fat
Not as far as I can tell. Spark plug looks good, idles fine. Its a bear to pull over, I think a part of it is me simply not yanking hard enough. Even with the base gasket according to my buddies compression tester (which is accurate as far as I can tell) it is pushing 205-208lbs, which I think is pretty wild. It is the only saw I ever drop start. Too hard to pull over otherwise and the decomp valve only ever seems to serve as a way to flood the saw that much faster.

I put them on at the beginning ofAugust.
My days are down a bit last winter. About 800 combine probably about 600 ob one. one has a timed out bottom at about 1300 and I need to transfer over to a new saw I bought.
They are strong. I have some serious advanced tunning going on. I milk every bit out of those jugs. I cut with Shane last year in centeral coast. He was across a huge creek draw. I end up running the peaky one you built that day. So I told him where I was cutting and he said "someone is running a real hot 390 over there". I said..."are sure its a 390? " oh yeah its a 390. That's funny because a didn't here a real hot 390.
Lol
[/QUOTE]
I have another cylinder to build me a work saw with sometime. They do have some guts once ported

Whatever is in hand when I need a 70cc saw. Half the time I am using my Husky 50 when I need a bigger saw, but its less work then walking all the way over to the truck to get the right saw.

Not as far as I can tell. Spark plug looks good, idles fine. Its a bear to pull over, I think a part of it is me simply not yanking hard enough. Even with the base gasket according to my buddies compression tester (which is accurate as far as I can tell) it is pushing 205-208lbs, which I think is pretty wild. It is the only saw I ever drop start. Too hard to pull over otherwise and the decomp valve only ever seems to serve as a way to flood the saw that much faster.
I port quite a few 7900 and have never had any problems with any of them flooding or being hard to start.

Metering arm is maybe a little bit high and there very picky on tune.

I drop start everything

I port quite a few 7900 and have never had any problems with any of them flooding or being hard to start.

Metering arm is maybe a little bit high and there very picky on tune.

I drop start everything
Hmm. I may try fussing with the tune again, but I dont think I have the patience to fuss with a carb. It runs and idles fine once it is started so It could be a vent problem. It never is fussy in the cold.

I put them on at the beginning ofAugust.
My days are down a bit last winter. About 800 combine probably about 600 ob one. one has a timed out bottom at about 1300 and I need to transfer over to a new saw I bought.
They are strong. I have some serious advanced tunning going on. I milk every bit out of those jugs. I cut with Shane last year in centeral coast. He was across a huge creek draw. I end up running the peaky one you built that day. So I told him where I was cutting and he said "someone is running a real hot 390 over there". I said..."are sure its a 390? " oh yeah its a 390. That's funny because a didn't here a real hot 390.
Lol
[/QUOTE]
I think the hour meter on my hybrid says 4 hours since last august ,lol

Hmm. I may try fussing with the tune again, but I dont think I have the patience to fuss with a carb. It runs and idles fine once it is started so It could be a vent problem. It never is fussy in the cold.
I bet you lean the low out some and idle it down and your problem will go away.

I would have a look at the needle and metering arm also.

The tank vent don't give trouble and the only way for it to flood sitting is to push gas past the needle and seat.

Arm is probably a touch high

I wouldn't do the job if I couldn't enjoy myself.
I see it differently. There is many saws I'd like to own or own again they'd come out as often as a fine wine and a Jimmy Hendrex vinyl
Its a short list I tell ya of the saws that will walk with me through a days work

this thread is a laugh and a half..
Phone is not typing properly so may have to cut it short
Hey Jamie, it seems we're moving toward a conversation you and I had awhile back involving chain............lmao!

372 is a fine saw. I will have to say they just aint the dolly/makita or a 461. I cut timber and run a mill on a daily basis i have owned and run just about every pro saw in this class and hands down from an operators perspective the dolmar takes the cake. They have enough power to hang with a 90cc the body is slim and light. the hd air filter option it works as it should you dont have to do an oiler upgrade and they come with big dogs out of the box. Whats not to like ? I have a 2166 retroed and a 461 and previously owned a 576. The 7910 is my go too saw in this size. The only problem with the dolly is if you store it with fuel for a day or two you might as well pull the plug and clear the cyl of gas before you fire it up.
so you are saying no choke is needed and when it finally fires up it smokes raw fuel for a bit? that has to be needle drip down. otherwise it will start first pull warmed up or 4 0r 5 pulls?If its stored with the bar in an up position then take cap and filter off in that position and see if there is a pool of fuel. Otherwise, pull the cap and filter off and set it in the sun for half hour with the bar propped up. Make sure to dry any fuel in the 90 first.

But yet you start it fine when its cold? You shouldn't have to choke again unless its not getting warm. the saw doesn't have a primer system does it? if it doesn't then its not back flowing from a failing vent. its lean on the low then or possibly drip down is your problem or your ****ing up...lol use your decompression without the choke if it doesn't fire then choke for 2 pulls then put it back in even if it doesn't fire. if you do go back on the low, a 1/4 is plenty to give you your answer' good luck

Hey Jamie, it seems we're moving toward a conversation you and I had awhile back involving chain............lmao!
haha

Brad! I was thinking what the heck become of you just this morning?
now here you are trying to cause **** with us...lol
i see what you are doing...trying to get my to say the four letter f word, i'm not going to...you know i call it skip....skip...skip...skip.
there i feel better. hope family is well. i got to peace out for the night.

Latest posts

Back