49SP and 70E Build From Scratch.......or Scratches!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found some time this evening to continue of the 70E.

101... Cleaned and installed the flywheel and then the fan. Threw an old recoil with coil on and made sure I had spark before procceding...Had spark!!

102...NOS late model recoil cover with screen.

103...The next 3 photos pertains to the way that the the ign changes (#158500 and above) affected the recoil cover. Notice the three covers...on the left is the late model NOS cover..note the short bosses where the coil mounts..also note the long screws with spacers. These bosses are low because when they went to the cyl mounted coil there was not room in the cover. The cyl mounted coil is larger than the cover mounted coil. The middle recoil is for the #158500 and below which is what this saw is. The cover on the right is what you do if you're a cave man and want to put an old cover on a newer saw. LOLOL!!! The reason I 'm even mentioning all this is so folks will have the info and know that all 70Es are not the same.

104... Just a closeup of the NOS cover.

105... Closeup of middle cover.

More pics coming right along...

106...Closeup of "caveman cover"

107...NOS cover with coil, wiring, wire retainers and starter pulley and spring installed....note the new pull rope?? I'm not as cheap as everyone says...

108...Mounted on saw.

109...Top and rear handles mounted...top cover just in place not bolted down.

110...Bummer pic...but that side of the saw sort of...

One more batch coming...

111...Front shot..

112....Muffler and carb waiting for their turn..these are the last items that need attention...next time..

113...About the way it'll look when done...

114...NOS clutch cover, bar plates and intake elbow the last of the bits

I will probably do the carb and muffler tomorow night, then sit this one aside and continue with the 49SPs until atleast my original one is ready to go and I will attempt to start them both the same day.

Well...One down ...two to go... I finished the 70E tonight and she's ready to go except for a bar and chain...just ordered two 20" Total Super Bars with Oregon pro-chisel chain in 0.058 tonight. One for this saw and the other for an 80 I 'm going to do a full resto on. The 70E came out good but it must be remembered this was a build/rebuild and not a restoration. This saw is ready to see some use.

117... Carb rebuilt and installed

118...Same different angle.

119...Same another angle.

120...Muffler opened up a tad, wire wheeled, painted and installed.

121...Engine shroud installed and air filter in place.

The next couple of set are just showing off the finished product.

Last set...I'm hoping this saw will perform well for what it is. I didn't port it but did blend and match the intake parts and the exhaust as well. I think it will just run well...these saw were not wicked fast but were very powerful and could run under a heavy load at WOT for as long as necessary. Great for bucking saw logs in the yard or felling 24"-36" pine.....We shall see how this goes after I finish the others. :cheers:

Looks great Robin. I cut last night for the first time with the 52e after changing the fuel line and carb rebuild.

It was throwing chips real well through some 16" oak. The saw has a lot of torque it seems through the cut. Works real well for 49cc's!

You have any good pull handles? Mine is split at the bottom.

Nice, very, very Nice, Robin.

Since you seem to be, well, are, a Jonsereds guy, is there any where to get the antivibe buffers for the top handle, clutch side for a 70? My dealer says NLA, was nothing a couple weeks ago on the web.

Nice build! May i ask why you didnt repaint everything though? Still looks sharp!

Nice, very, very Nice, Robin.

Since you seem to be, well, are, a Jonsereds guy, is there any where to get the antivibe buffers for the top handle, clutch side for a 70? My dealer says NLA, was nothing a couple weeks ago on the web.

Thank you for the kind words...I guess I am a Jonsereds guy... I've looked in the usual places for used even...no luck...do you need both?? You just have to stay on Ebay until something shows up...that's how I get these NOS parts. I might have an extra AV, used of course...I'll look..gonna snow tomorrow so I'll be in the shop.

Nice build! May i ask why you didnt repaint everything though? Still looks sharp!

Thanks Clay!! Well there are a couple reasons for not painting. The first is this was a rebuild not a resto, these saws will be used not shelf queens. They are not ancient artifacts...they are more what I like to call from the "middle ages" of chainsaws...A tad heavy and not quite as fast as the newer models...but do have pretty good AV and excellent power. The other reason is that it is difficult to get the quality paint job that these saws had...remember this 70E is probably 35 yrs old and still has most of its paint...I don't think paint would cut it anyway, gas and abuse is hard on it. I think when I start the 80 resto I will have everything powder coated===$$$

Latest posts

Back