49SP and 70E Build From Scratch.......or Scratches!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Bit More Progress......

I'm back with another couple sets of pics from this weekends saw related activities.

First PB came down for a visit Saturday....we spent most all day going though parts and telling stories. Always a good time when we get together...then today I got a little time to work on one of the twins a bit.

This first set is and is not off topic...just had to share...

130...PB brought two of these down.

131...He stole these off ebay.... they had a fair amount of NOS small parts for the older Jonsereds. He very, very generously split the parts and gave me one of the cases...along with a bunch of NOS gaskets and other small parts. How cool is that?????? I am very fortunate to count Lee as a friend.

132...Top layer of storage. These are my own stash of small parts along with what PB donated. It's great to have a place to keep this kind of stuff readily available without looking through boxes of misc parts.

133...Bottom layer of the case...

134...The whole thing...

OK I'll try to stay on topic...but I gotta say, that's a awsome bit of old Jonsereds memorabilia but better than that it"s very practicle and useful.....MANY THANKS PB aka Plant Biologist!!!!!!

Ok so here is where I start...the second 49sp that I brought into this thread was a project started some time ago...the more I thought about it it seemed dim not to replace the seals in this saw, so I will have to backtrack a little, pull the clutch and flywheel and ign and put in a set of OEM NOS seals that I have. I spent some time last Friday picking out all the parts (recoils, coils, covers, handles ect.)to build these two 49sps. I have decided to build both of these saws to completion as I am curious to see the difference between my old 49 which will be ported and tuned to the best of my ability and a stock but newly built 49. The builds will be essentially the same, using the same series of new and old parts. Built at the same time by the same guy. The only difference will be the mods. I have never read of anyone porting 49sp before so this might be a first LOL!!!

135...The case of 49sp number two......Oh and theres that box again ,sorry LOL!!!!

136...New seal installed in the flywheel side. I will not bore you with the entire procedure. But just for a hoot I timed myself removing everything stated before and the old seals, flushing the main bearings, installing new seals, reinstalling the clutch and drum, ign system, and retiming the ign and installing the flywheel so it was the same as when I started.......33 mins....LOLOL I'm starting to sound like Tommy Hall!! LOLOL!!!

137...Piston and cyl with isolation block installed.

138...Sucked...not worthy

139...Close up of stock ex port.

140...Coil installed, air gap set to 0.012" both legs. As with the 70E I threw on a recoil and did a spark test to make sure everything was good...it was.

That's it for today...more tomorrow perhaps depending on th weather....

One other odd bit of info that I forgot to mention concerns the coil that I selected to put on this 49sp. For those not familiar with the older Jonsereds, the spark plug must be of the type that the top unscrews from the plug as the connecter in the plug boot fits the small threaded part that remains and not the regular connection tip. This can be a problem if you buy a sparkplug that does not come apart. Some plugs do some don't. Anyway I get ready to do a spark test and I push the boot on to the plug but it doesn't snap in place???? I look inside and it has a regular sized connecter but the whole thing looks stock. I do not know if this was a very late model setup and they had changed and came this way or someone changed it out. It looks original and stock in everyway....wierd...but LOL..I do get to use the two NGK plugs I bought yrs ago that I couldn't use because they are not the threaded type..LOL!!! Maybe one of you guys reading this has some info on this...

Thanks Jerry...I hope that some of what I spend a lot of time trying to explain is not to boring to those who are not familiar with these saws. It is an attempt to assist those who do have these or want to know more about these saws. As with any no longer current brand/model the information "gene" pool, if you will, becomes smaller and smaller as time progresses until most knowledge is lost to mere mortals. This is my attempt to put back a bit of the info I've learned from yrs of using these saws and also (and just as important) the info I've been given from folks on this site. The "normal" stuff like how I install a piston or rebuild an HS carb, set up a recoil for proper tension etc. will be only illustrated once so that I may spend more time covering more obscure things that most folks wouldn't know. The "normal" stuff they can do a search for and find numerous posts covering these items as they are pretty much the same from brand to brand.

Again I hope those following along will not get to bored and watch to the completion of these three, fine, older saws. I'm having fun and hope others are as well.:cheers:

This thread is far from boring! I wish that I had half the knowledge and skill that you (and many others on AS) have. Even though I don't have a 49 or 70, I've learned a lot from watching your progress that I can use when working on my 52 and 80. My hats off to you for the high quality workmanship and wonderful photo documentation! I am looking forward to that 80 resto project that you've been talking about. It's threads like this one and people like you that help me so much as I am learning to work on my saws!

That's what I really like about these older Jonsereds. I doesn't really matter if you're working on a 49, 50, 51, 52, 621, 66, 70, 80, 801, 90 etc, they are all put together in the same way.

Hey Robin! It's always nice to come down and chat for a while and look at saws. I am glad you are enjoying the box. I will certainly be using that puller a whole lot more than the second box, thank you!

The wife was tired of hearing me talk about all the sweet tools you have. I think she has given up and realized that when we get a house it will be loaded with tools and chainsaws. LOL! It only took 2 years, but she is coming around. I won't be handing over the chainsaw expenses though. ;) LOL!

I do have to say, those pictures don't do the saws justice. The pictures are really nice, but the saws are really, really nice up close!

We'll have to do it again.

:cheers:

I think PBs spark is in good shape!!!LOL! He just wasn't pulling hard enoughLOLOLOL!!! Lee has some awsome saws himself...I did enjoy Saturday and we certainly will do it again. There are not to may people who I can talk face to face with about older Jonsereds but Lee is one and you guys (PB, Taplinhill, Spike60, bama and many others) were here long before I showed up and I have learned from every one of you. It's their earlier help that even makes this thread possible and I thank them for being so willing to share their knowledge. :cheers:

Not a lot of progress today but some. This set of pics contains the new bar for my original 49SP and pics of the stock ports and transfers to compare later with what I have done porting this saw.
I did get started on the exhaust port today but ran out of time.

141...New lightened Sugi Hara .325 X .058 X 18"......A bit spendy..but I have never bought a new bar for this saw the whole time.... and I've owned it since new. I guess it's earned it.

142...Exhaust port..The side are curved and rather restrictive..

143...Pretty much the same.

144... Open port transfers..

145...Intake port..pretty restrictive too.

Never ported one of these so this is definately an experiment.

I can see a half cup of aluminum shavings coming off that cylinder, those ports can use some straightwalling and even a little enlargment. Waiting for picts of the ported cylinder.

LOL You got that right Jerry. I got about 1/4" in the coffee cup so far!! Pretty much got the ex port roughed out...widened it about 1/8" so far..probably go a little wider. Got the sides good and straight and the opening matched to the muffler. Lookin good so far. Plenty of alum to go yet..rain tomorrow...perhaps I'll get it finished then.

Ok...so I had another rainy day and got to work on my old 49SP. Completed the porting...widened the exhaust to about 68% and straightened the sides out. There is a funny lip on the floor of the exhaust port all the way across, at the inner edge of the port. Couldn't take that out as it would bring me to a free port situation when the piston was TDC, so please understand I didn't put it there LOL!! Did remove quite a bunch of alum. Didn't raise or lower to port so port timing remains stock. If you want to compare what I did to the way it was you might want to bring up the pic from last night and the corrisponding one from today and click back and forth. Probably make more sense than me trying to describe stuff. So here we go!!

146...Intake port..bit different from before..

147...Same a bit closer..widened the intake some but a bit less than the exhaust but definately ramped the port rather than the curved way it was. Seems fairly direct to me..

148...Exhaust port...quite different...a lot of alum gone..straight shot and wider..

149...Transfers...not much to do with these open port things but did ease and blend the wings..hopefully a tiny bit better flow.

151...Installed the P&C on the case. Checked the squish in four places, left, right, front and rear (at the same time). Ranged from 0.032 to 0.028 with the closest being at the front. This is without a gasket. That's the way it went together...thin layer of HYLO-MAR. I don't prefer running gasketless and am setting up a small metal lathe to cope with this situation. As I said I have never even heard of anyone porting one of these so this is just and experiment...I can go back in and do more or if it sucks toss the cyl and replace with a stock one...I have extras LOL!!!

I think this will work fine...I'm no expert..but have been sucessful with other saws..I haven't tried altering stock timing numbers just tried to improve flow and optimise tolerances on this saw.

Hey PB,
It sounds like your "coil" wasn't bad and the "spark" is getting bluer!!

Haha! Yeah, I guess so but I have only worked on 1 saw in the past 4 months.

I think PBs spark is in good shape!!!LOL! He just wasn't pulling hard enoughLOLOLOL!!! Lee has some awsome saws himself...I did enjoy Saturday and we certainly will do it again. There are not to may people who I can talk face to face with about older Jonsereds but Lee is one and you guys (PB, Taplinhill, Spike60, bama and many others) were here long before I showed up and I have learned from every one of you. It's their earlier help that even makes this thread possible and I thank them for being so willing to share their knowledge. :cheers:

Hell Robin, I am sure I have learned more from you than the other way around! We should get a Jonsered club GTG planned at some point and make a weekend of it. It would be nice to meet some other JRed nuts and gawk at some saws too.

:cheers:

Back