5 saws not passing oil to chain HELP PLEASE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
put the bar and chain on without the clutch cover.....make up the thickness of the cover with a couple of washers. Then watch what happens....where does the oil go? If it's coming out of the darned oil hole and into the bar groove....... why won't the chain pick it up????? God knows, and he ain't tellin!

From memory, on at least the 170/180 the tube between the tank & the pump often doesn't seal properly once removed & refitted & is supposed to be replaced. A poor seal results in the oil pump pulling air & its effectiveness drops considerably.
If you have been cleaning the cases, lines, etc with some sort of solvent or cleaning agent this may well be affecting the rubber causing it to harden or shrink & exacerbating the situation

WOW! What a thread.
To the OP, Just my humble two cents worth. First off, I have read the entire thread. Secondly, I am not your neighbor, good or bad. Thirdly, you seem to have an attitude problem. People try to help and you go on the attack with disparaging comments, curse words, etc. Now to your problem!
The only common denominator in all of YOUR discussion and what is happening is, in your words, you recently changed SOLVENTS. You will probably find out that the new solvent is deteriorating something in the oil systems. Tubes, vent duckbills, worm gears, etc. 5 different saws. All with the same problem. New SOLVENT. Bingo!!!!!
Like Stihltech, I'm out of here. :cool: OT

Yeap ,it's rather a bad idea to use any kind of solvent ( except alcohol-free gasoline ) to clean any part of the saw .Only two exceptions to that is the carburetor and spark plug at which a bit of carb cleaner spray can be used .
Any kind of sealant also should be avoided.

I've never seen an oil pump on a chainsaw, that works by pressurizing the oil tank. You got 5? Only time pressure builds up is from engine heat or left out in hot sunshine.

My saws still oil when it is -5 oF and there sure is no pressure in the tanks
I actually have an old Indian saw that has a pressurized oil tank. Haven't seen one on any new saws.

he did say the oil is gettin to the bar groove w/o chain on
that the chain wont carry the oil up the bar, but runnin back out toward clutch, w/chain on
my guess would be drivers comin into the bar above the oil hole
china bar w/oil hole too low?
is the same bar being used to "test" all these saws?

There is nothing wrong with the saws, the oil, or the operator, so it's is either a troll/bot or the move to Tennessee. Move back.
poulan top handles [s25 & micro] use pressurized tanks - 70s n 80s - not new but newer than the indian
So, how do they make pressure?

It would FU the carb but an impulse line might be it?

Has anyone ever seen RED bar oil? One of the OPs photos showed the remnants of some red fluid. What other common fluids are red?... I can immediately think of ATF and hydraulic oil neither of which would make a suitable bar oil substitute.

Has anyone ever seen RED bar oil? One of the OPs photos showed the remnants of some red fluid. What other common fluids are red?... I can immediately think of ATF and hydraulic oil neither of which would make a suitable bar oil substitute.
He did stated at his first post that he uses Stihl Platinum bar oil .
Quite expensive bar oil ,semi-synthetic ,non-toxic and with a nice deep red color .
Has pretty low viscosity ,making it an ideal bar oil for winter /low temps.Not so good for hot climates / high temps.
Runs really thin then .
Also it does not polymerize ,no matter how long will stay in the oil tank .

Durex, make some skookum stuff available out here... sticky icky and red...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back