550xp refurb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave27483

Enthusiasts of the chainsaw
Reaction score
anyone repainted a 550xp ?
I'm currently refurbishing this saw and I would like if you could post any pics of your paint job on your xp.
I'm thinking mat black, gloss black, or possibly any colour that might look cool.
The origanal grey looks good when new but this thing looked terrible as it had a lot of hours on it.

murder it out....all black
I have seen a few attempts of that on various saws and most didn’t look very good to me. However it might look better if you put a higher quality job.
Chainsaws can be put in some harsh conditions. Getting any paint to hold up might be a big challenge. Can you Anodize magnesium? That might be cool and more durable.

I have seen a few attempts of that on various saws and most didn’t look very good to me. However it might look better if you put a higher quality job.
Chainsaws can be put in some harsh conditions. Getting any paint to hold up might be a big challenge. Can you Anodize magnesium? That might be cool and more durable.
I know what you mean I have actually sand blasted the aluminium which I'm guessing will make the paint bite a bit better
I might even go a nicer grey than what's already on it

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Just a little update on my refurburation on this little 550xp that I got a while back
It was totally used and abused when I first got it and now I've given it a fresh look with silver paint and it will get a new piston and ring and new plastics
Also repainted the muffler in hi temp Matt black and it's been muffler modded

How's the crankcase hold up against sandblasting? I've read around bike forums and such and glass or plastic seems to be what they use since aluminum/ magnesium is relatively soft.

How's the crankcase hold up against sandblasting? I've read around bike forums and such and glass or plastic seems to be what they use since aluminum/ magnesium is relatively soft.
Anywhere tight tolerances must be kept should be covered. That includes gasket surfaces, bearing pockets, crank seal bores, etc. Blasting will eat the mag right out.

Thanks. I'm not new to sandblasting, but I've never done a saw or anything much softer than cast in the past. This winter I plan to re-do a 371xp completely... so new paint, plastics, etc, that's why I asked Dave the question.

It's all apart and ready for blasting, but I want to do it all in one sweep and not "pay as I go" type of thing. So get everything I need, then start.

New 390xp last week made my wallet much thinner haha. Well worth it tho!

Thanks. I'm not new to sandblasting, but I've never done a saw or anything much softer than cast in the past. This winter I plan to re-do a 371xp completely... so new paint, plastics, etc, that's why I asked Dave the question.

It's all apart and ready for blasting, but I want to do it all in one sweep and not "pay as I go" type of thing. So get everything I need, then start.

New 390xp last week made my wallet much thinner haha. Well worth it tho!
I got to be honest with you I sand blasted this case still in tact, meaning all bolted together, it took a lot of time to cover up all the crank seals and bottom end so no sand got in but it all turned out well.
Great purchase on the 390 also lovely saw!
And your 371 is a classic also

That's understandable, as I assume you didn't want or need to touch the bottom end? Regardless, you did a nice job as far as I can tell. I like the color.

And thanks, the 390xp had a great reputation and I needed something a little bigger than my 372xp. No regrets there

That's understandable, as I assume you didn't want or need to touch the bottom end? Regardless, you did a nice job as far as I can tell. I like the color.

And thanks, the 390xp had a great reputation and I needed something a little bigger than my 372xp. No regrets there
I will post more pics of the little 550 when complete
:yes:

Latest posts

Back