550XP vs MS362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been reading some of your threads over that past 6 months or so and I came to the following conclusion...

I truly admire your willingness to mess up your own countless number of saws all in the name of gaining knowledge and learning. However, if you want a good, reliable, powerful. ported worker saw I would suggest you send your saw(s) off to a builder who already has the knowledge your striving for.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful at all, as I don't know anything about you other than what you post. I just thought I would let you know how your posts may come across to those of us just browsing around the site.

:cheers:

Do you realize this is a new model that we're all blazing the trail with? R&D isn't without it's risks and costs.

Guys like brad out there doing the R&D sure help us much less experienced guys with great information on what can be done, what can't, what should, and what shouldn't be done. With that being said, keep up the great work and thanks for sharing the great information you do.

Last edited:
I've been reading some of your threads over that past 6 months or so and I came to the following conclusion...

I truly admire your willingness to mess up your own countless number of saws all in the name of gaining knowledge and learning. However, if you want a good, reliable, powerful. ported worker saw I would suggest you send your saw(s) off to a builder who already has the knowledge your striving for.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful at all, as I don't know anything about you other than what you post. I just thought I would let you know how your posts may come across to those of us just browsing around the site.

To whom is this directed? Lost me there.

I'm all ears. I've yet to see a 550 outrun a real good 346.

Me either but never is a long time :rock: That carb should arrive today.

I'd then suggest reading further back and more thoroughly. Brad is one of the most respected builders on this site. Over the last 6 months your posts references, some very new tech has hit the market that will require some trial and youknowwhat. I for one am very glad that a lot of modders here (Brad included) are humble enough to show us the process. I suppose your post could also allude to the 390 infection that has devoured Mr. Snelling and addled his brain into wandering into some craziness (and a nice H brand). Again, transparency is the friend of all of us.

Oh, and I'll add that both of my Snellerized work saws (both bologna and vege) are a delight to make chips with, along with some tasty 18" cookies. Yum.

This post is a little bit off the wall, allthough it's probably not your intention. For those of us that actually read, rather than just browse the site, there is an understanding that a certain amount of experimentation is necessary to find the best recipe for new saw models. That isn't going to happen without a few mistakes along the way.

You don't think Smokey Yunick blew a motor now and then?

If you're gonna make an omelet........ya gotta break some eggs. :cool2:

I have a few jugs that I "overcooked".......and a few that I destroyed in the process of learning how to run a burr at 20,000 rpm. I also have a box with carbs that I've killed......I keep that stuff as a reminder of what not to do. :laugh:

I'm not trying to be disrespectful at all, as I don't know anything about you other than what you post. I just thought I would let you know how your posts may come across to those of us just browsingaround the site.

You need to do some more in-depth reading, not just Brad's posts, but also the posts from other builders.

What would Brad learn by sending his saw(s) to another builder? There are several saw builders on this site, and only a few of them are willing to show their work, post their numbers, and admit to their mistakes.

Most folks learn more from what goes wrong than from what goes right. This has previously been posted, and is worth a repeat: There are two types of engine builders, those who have blown some engines, and those who are going to blow some engines.

Brad just ain't scared to cut-N-grind...

I enjoyed watching Stumpy's learnin curve. He's like a really short linebacker that can not be stopped! :D

JRHAWK9, please read my 550XP thread. In it you will find where I made an error and ended up with an air leak. Then you can read about how I solved the problem. My saw. My call. In the end the saw turned out nicely, if I may say so.

Progress is made by the unreasonable man.

You don't think Smokey Yunick blew a motor now and then?

Smokey Yunick was a very sharp mechanic. You could say genius.
He was up this way and happened to look at a friends street rod build. A few weeks latter a brand new 3800 V6 showed up for it. A gift.

Couldn't wait any longer.

D16D9019-08E0-494E-8CD8-CBDB54D64CA7-8286-000009E965CC704B.jpg

That's an odd looking deflector, with "teeth" around the outlet! :biggrin:

Which one's faster through 15" standing dead Elm?:D

Hi sorry for lack of participation over last yearish but !!!!! just sold ALL repeat ALL Stihl equipment ie saws, strimmers ,THE LOT. Bought ,to start with, 2 X Husqvarna 560XPG (562 spec) incl 24", 16", 18" sugihana 3/8 1.5mm solid bars each plus full wrap and outer spike kit. Will run stihl RSC to start as have big roll of it but will move to oregon as we have a lot of dirty wood too fell ie ash! Will never buy a Stihl product again as back-up in UK is nothing short of O!
Cheers and happy holiday
Jon

Man on Man, if you've been around chainsaws very long, actually wrenching on them, you'll realize that irregardless if your working on stock saws or moddified saws you will expierence failure periodically no matter how methodical you are. Engines turning the rpms that two strokes in saws turn are not forgiving in any way. If you believe that you won't have a failure every once in a while you haven't wrenched on them at all or not long enough or have unreasonable expectations. Brad would be the first to admit he isn't perfect, but he has contributed greatly to the site for a long time and has inspired more than one person to start modding saws. NASA dosen't have a perfect track record either, even with our billions of dollars, Brad's doing it out of his own pocket.
Think about what it takes to be the first on a new model, no manuals, it gets easier for others to do once a builder post/shares his results,Brad had never been shy about jumping out there first and is generous in sharing his successes and failures, just part of the business at least he admits and has shown his failures and took his floggings in the past. I look forward to reading his post, Masterminds and Stumpy's as well as other builders. Lots of knowledge shared.

Now on the other hand I don't think it's much of a comparison between the two saws in puny 15" elm. Put those saws in some 20" hickory or hedge and the 362 will show it's real potential compared to a 50cc saw. Stock vs Stock

Back