555 vs 357xp I would appreciate your opinion.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig71

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys/girls, I was at my Husqvarna dealer this morning and got a chance to take a look at the new 555 and talk to the dealer. The saw is remarkably light for its size, I was also impressed by its overall balance, it was fitted with an 18inch bar which kind of made it want to tip forward. The dealer said it can be swapped out for a 16 inch which makes it much nicer to handle. I am currently running a 357xp with a .325 chain and 15 inch bar and the handling leaves a little to be desired. I also looked at the specs for the triple 5 and it says 4.3hp, my 357 has 4.4 hp if im not mistaken and I wonder how the 555 stacks up against it? I can get the saw for $669 plus 15% tax that we are so burdened down with.(My american friends, you have it made when it comes to saw pricing) I am also a bit nervous about new saws and I might just take a wait and see attitude on this one. I am asking for opinions on overall power and handling for limbing and acceleration performance. I respect the views of fellow saw users and I have learned many new tips and tricks from my years of reading on this site. One of the best learning tools when it comes to chainsaws and forest work is listening to the experience of others and applying it to make yourself a more productive worker. I look forward to your replies.cheers:bowdown:

The US/Canada prices are getting closer, my dealer has the 555 for $629, but I can get for a bit less.

You need to look back through all the 555 threads. It is reported to be lighter and stronger/faster than a 357xp. Also smoother and burns less fuel.

I'm gettin either a 555 or 562xp, but leaning to the 555 right now. I know, I keep flip-flopping.:D

The 555 is a more attractive saw to me than the 562xp, less power on the same chassic equals less problems with vibration which was an issue that dogged the 357xp over the 359. The fact that it does not have "rev boost" also is more appealing to me. Less gimmicks =less problems. Probably about $100-150 cheaper, which is also a very important factor. I will search previous threads to get some more info. Thanks for the reply.

Your running a 15" bar with .325 chain on a 357xp-that thing must really scream. What size/diamter trees do you typically cut?

Your running a 15" bar with .325 chain on a 357xp-that thing must really scream. What size/diamter trees do you typically cut?

That will depend on the rim size - a .325x9 will have about the same diameter as a 3/8x8, and a .325x8 is a little larger than a 3/8x7.

Anything from 6 inch to 2 feet+. Right now that is sugar maple and yellow birch.
I bet that thing sings through that maple. Have you ever compared that setup to 16" x 3/8"? Or is 3/8 not that popular over there on that size saw? Sorry, I didn't mean to derail your thread. FWIW, the strato motor of the 555 might give it more torque for longer bars and bigger chains. Are you keeping your 357xp?

That will depend on the rim size - a .325x9 will have about the same diameter as a 3/8x8, and a .325x8 is a little larger than a 3/8x7.

.325 x 9 has intrigued me in the past. But wouldn't that setup require adding a drive link or two?

The 555 is pretty nice running a 20" 3/8" full comp setup in hardwoods. I never ran a 357 so I can't say its much better or not. I know mweba did some comparisons with his 555 and a 357 in the same log with the same b/c.

Same wood. Same day. Same bar and chain.

[video=youtube_share;bMTZJaecEkw]http://youtu.be/bMTZJaecEkw[/video]

[video=youtube_share;cdSwlY3Rdbc]http://youtu.be/cdSwlY3Rdbc[/video]

The triple five is better in every way IMHO

Sorry, I missed the setup you are using on the 357.

Throw an eight pin 3/8 on the 15" setup and never look back....

[video=youtube_share;ErsWvLHdg4c]http://youtu.be/ErsWvLHdg4c[/video]

Sorry, I missed the setup you are using on the 357.

Throw an eight pin 3/8 on the 15" setup and never look back....

[video=youtube_share;ErsWvLHdg4c]http://youtu.be/ErsWvLHdg4c[/video]

That video speaks louder than any words. I like the way that looked, all I can say is wow!!!

I bet that thing sings through that maple. Have you ever compared that setup to 16" x 3/8"? Or is 3/8 not that popular over there on that size saw? Sorry, I didn't mean to derail your thread. FWIW, the strato motor of the 555 might give it more torque for longer bars and bigger chains. Are you keeping your 357xp?

I am using a .325/8 setup on a 15 inch bar. The main reason we use 15 inch bars with .325 is because of the amount of mixed wood we cut, its probably 50/50 hardwood,softwood. Our softwoods have lots of limbs and balancing of the saw is a big deal. I like the speed with a 15 inch bar and through my experience, I have no fear of cutting 2-3 foot diameter trees with this setup and a felling lever and some wedges. I will be keeping the 357 btw. The handling in store at least seems way nicer than the 357.

I need to do a vid with the 562 eight pin soon:hmm3grin2orange:

562xp 8 pin

I need to do a vid with the 562 eight pin soon:hmm3grin2orange:
looking forword to that one ! Ran two tanks today in 562 [still using 16 bar]. A new saw showed up today a husky [450 ] .325 chain 18 inch bar. used it to fell half dozen trees, then bucked logs with 562. all said and done two to three face cord. Not trying to hijack ,interested about all 562 news.-ddale

I am using a .325/8 setup on a 15 inch bar. The main reason we use 15 inch bars with .325 is because of the amount of mixed wood we cut, its probably 50/50 hardwood,softwood. Our softwoods have lots of limbs and balancing of the saw is a big deal. I like the speed with a 15 inch bar and through my experience, I have no fear of cutting 2-3 foot diameter trees with this setup and a felling lever and some wedges. I will be keeping the 357 btw. The handling in store at least seems way nicer than the 357.

Thanks for the info. With a lot of limbs that are close together, the shorter bar would be my choice too. Are you running narrow kerf (pixel) or standard .325?

As a dealer and having easy access both saws, I have never had a 357 in my "home saw aresenal", but I do have a 555. Very difficult to decide as my go to saw is my 2152 or 353, my big wood saw is my 576 (372 sits idle now) and 359's get played with too.......I see the 555 as the ideal saw for a one saw plan for the cutting I do. Its most impressive, I am currently running .325x8 16".

Just need more arms to run the saws I have.

Back