555 vs 357xp I would appreciate your opinion.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a dealer and having easy access both saws, I have never had a 357 in my "home saw aresenal", but I do have a 555. Very difficult to decide as my go to saw is my 2152 or 353, my big wood saw is my 576 (372 sits idle now) and 359's get played with too.......I see the 555 as the ideal saw for a one saw plan for the cutting I do. Its most impressive, I am currently running .325x8 16".

Just need more arms to run the saws I have.

So do I, even though I don't have that many.

I am surely going to try 3/8x8 on my 560xpg, when my bad hip has been replaced - as it works really well on my MS361, and short bars.....

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. With a lot of limbs that are close together, the shorter bar would be my choice too. Are you running narrow kerf (pixel) or standard .325?

I just use standard .325 bars, either husky or oregon. I find that a shorter bar makes cutting larger trees a bit more of a challenge but what it lacks in felling it makes up for when limbing. the 346/359/357 have the best balancing with the 15 inch bar, same for the ms361, I have used them all. It also requires the least power from the engine therefore keeping the saw very speedy and at its highest power range. Some may argue with scientific data:computer2: but that is my personal experience.

There isn't much difference between a 15" and a 16" small Husky mount .325 bars, as there are just 2dl less in the standard chain.

There isn't much difference between a 15" and a 16" small Husky mount .325 bars, as there are just 2dl less in the standard chain.

I agree with you, I have only used the 16 inch bar with a 3/8 setup and the handling is much different than with a .325/15. I should have been clearer about that.

Your price isn't too bad, they are going for $710.00 around here. I want one with a 3/8 chain and 20 inch bar. With a case I figured it would be around 800 bones taxes included.

Your price isn't too bad, they are going for $710.00 around here. I want one with a 3/8 chain and 20 inch bar. With a case I figured it would be around 800 bones taxes included.

The one I looked at had an 18 inch 3/8 bar and chain setup. The price seems decent for a 4.3 hp saw, my 357 was more than that, and according to the posts I have recieved here, it seems as though the triple 5 beats the 357 pretty easily. The 562 must be a replacement for the old 262 xp and the 365.The 555 is the real replacement for the 357.

The one I looked at had an 18 inch 3/8 bar and chain setup. The price seems decent for a 4.3 hp saw, my 357 was more than that, and according to the posts I have recieved here, it seems as though the triple 5 beats the 357 pretty easily. The 562 must be a replacement for the old 262 xp and the 365.The 555 is the real replacement for the 357.

The 555 sounds very impressive an I'm sure I'll have one someday,but I doubt it really is much faster in the cut than a 357xp. It's not even rated to have more hp. If people want to buy a 555 for the weight and perceived handling than great,but let's not pretend it's going to walk all over the 357 in the power department. The 357 is very choked up stock and a simple muffler mod should quiet any concerns about power. Stock vs stock the two saws should be very close. The 555 makes alot more power than 4.3 hp if it's much faster than a 357xp.

Last edited:
The 555 sounds very impressive an I'm sure I'll have one someday,but I doubt it really is much faster in the cut than a 357xp. It's not even rated to have more hp. If people want to buy a 555 for the weight and perceived handling than great,but let's not pretend it's going to walk all over the 357 in the power department. The 357 is very choked up stock and a simple muffler mod should quiet any concerns about power. Stock vs stock the two saws should be very close. The 555 makes alot more power than 4.3 hp if it's much faster than a 357xp.

The power rating of the 555 is 4.2 hp, not 4.3 - not that it matters much.

.... The 562 must be a replacement for the old 262 xp and the 365.The 555 is the real replacement for the 357.

Not really - the 560xp replaces the 357xp and 262xp, and the 555 the 359. The 562xp is just a variation of the 560xp.......:biggrinbounce2:

Those loggers who bought 555 dont want now work with 357xp :msp_tongue:

The 555 is a more attractive saw to me than the 562xp, less power on the same chassic equals less problems with vibration which was an issue that dogged the 357xp over the 359. The fact that it does not have "rev boost" also is more appealing to me. Less gimmicks =less problems. Probably about $100-150 cheaper, which is also a very important factor. I will search previous threads to get some more info. Thanks for the reply.

The 357 and 359 have exactly the same vibrations specs, just as the 555 has the same vib spec as the 562.

I am thinking watching the 555 whoop up on Mitches 357 that it is closer to 4.5 HP at least. The cylinder angle is making more power. It makes me laugh when people come in and talk about how powerful there 460 Rancher is, all I can say is you have never ran the 555 then, it makes the rancher look bad.

Last edited:
I think the power difference comes from a broader power band. Listen to Mitch's video, the 555 definitely has more torque.

Agree, I am running a 346xp mm and a 357xp ported , mm both with 18 3/8 chains, for firewood this yr. No sore back, smooth as silk and have yet to need a bigger saw.

Last edited:
Just found this thread, makes me want a 555 even more!
629$ dealer will eat the 5% sales tax and throw in an extra chain. Does that sound reasonable? Russ

I have a MM 359 and have used my brothers MM 555 and IMO the 555 pretty much has it all over the 359. Have used them for firewooding and for a bucking job for a local logger(big soft maple) . The 555 has better AV,better handling,and holds more power in the cut. Also faster. That is my observations anyway.

Ron

Latest posts

Back