562xp Hesitation Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And for record, being full-time Air Guard, with a questionable finance dept, I have worked for no pay in the past. On an equally serious note, (I am not trying to be snide or sarcastic, this is an honest question), does the factory not keep track of the warranty card submissions that you fill out and mail in at the time of purchase? If so, I'd hope that it would be as simple for the dealer as being able to call the factory, or factory interface, or online version thereof, spec the serial number and make all necessary determinations, in short order, as to the OP of the saw and it's purchase date for warranty validation needs... Am I way off base here?

Somewhat off base. Your status as a member of the Air Guard, has nothing to do with anything apart from thanks for serving (thought only infantry guys complained so much). Warranty data for the most part is wrong and or incomplete or the individual as selected not to have there data saved by the company. Hell it takes me a few minutes to find my own saws in the system. A simple 2012 XXXXXX vs 2012XXXXXX makes a huge difference. Somebody in VA is registered as the owner of my lawn tractor, and I live in Canada.

I feel a little lucky with my 562. I thought for sure I would have issues and here is why. When I bought the saw, the selling dealer said he had to run it for 'setup' so I went with him out back. He started the saw, let it idle a few seconds and gave it WOT no load for over two minutes, told me that was to set the carb. I stood there in shock, but had bought the husky oil to extend the warranty, so I let it go. Last time I had the saw read, by a dealer who has the capability and knowledge, the saw had over 250hours on it. Never skipped a beat.

Wish I had bought from one of the good dealers here on AS though. That WOT scream still haunts me. I am going to laugh if the 562xpwg I bought has issues, that one I was the first to run, went right to the woods and put it to work like any saw I own.

Last edited:
My selling dealer never did it and I don't know if that affected the saw or not, but as soon as I got it home, I read the instructions and then put it in a large cant and let her eat. I didn't have problems until somewhere between the 6th and 10th tank, (I don't remember exactly as that saw is a bit more efficient than my others and I also have my others so it's run time is in spurts). As soon as I find the paperwork, it'll go to town with me and we'll see what's going on. Hopefully a reset or something similar fixes it, as aside from the stalling, I really like the handling and versatility of the saw. When the warranty period is up and I'm on my own, the muffler will be modded, but that's as far as I'm willing to go with it.

Yeah I might have had a spoon when I typed that. :laugh:

Heck, I can't leave here.....I've got too many good friends here.

I'm a guy that says what I think.....that causes me a bit of grief sometimes.

I have to tell on myself here.......I was in a really bad mood for weeks after my old dog died. I let that, and the holidays get to me.

I do feel like my old self again though. :rock:

I've been kicking the tires on these XP autotune saws for weeks now and have cash in hand. I've scoured dozens of comments and several forums and have spoken with numerous dealers in person and on the phone. My local, well established dealer, who services and carries all PRO Husky and PRO Stihl Models here in logging country, has not yet even got the autotune interface and software (I won't mention any names). The only dealer who has the software is a smaller shop but about 60 miles away.

Having the freedom to troubleshoot and tweak my old beat up 346XP's carb is not something I really want to lose. I definitely do not want to be packing a laptop up the mountain (that is IF we consumers could ever get the software and autotune interface from Husky). While I am seduced by the great power to weight ratio of these new 500 series XP saws, delicate circuit chips and mountain tops in harsh conditions just don't seem to go together.

I'm no Luddite - I made my living with computers and have cut and burned timber for over 40 years. I understand the (Orwellian) future rapidly approaching us all is an 'internet of things', cars, machines, household appliances and more, all chattering away across the digital universe behind the scenes, but if it ain't super reliable and sturdy, it ain't a chain saw I want. I am all ears on how this 562XP reliability issue turns out.

Please keep this thread active so that those of us who need a new saw can make the right decision. From what I've heard so far, I'm leaning towards rebuilding my old saws and moving further into woods - lol

Greatly appreciate everyone's feedback and comments here.
Thanks.

what you hear on these forums about how a auto tune saw is trouble is garbage. don't let the handful of nay sayers keep you from buying a new saw with auto tune. you are looking at a very small dot on the map of how many of those saws are out there working flawlessly compared to how many that have had issues. these saws are not having auto tune issues. it is a carb issue,and carb issues have been something that has been around from day one on anything with a carb. you don't hear everyone in hear talking about oh this saw and that saw have bad carbs don't buy them. because its just a bad carb ,no biggie I can replace that easy. but if its an autotune carb it oh my gosh the auto tune is so wrong and this sucks that aint right I don't want one because so and so has had a problem. take the blinders off folks and see theres more than these handful of saws to think about before you call this technology bad. I remember when throttle bodies came out on cars and we heard the same crap as this.

Any links to the 562XP manual please?
... is it correct break in procedure that they suggest 3 to 5 minutes full throttle on first start? :-O
my local dealer (the one who doesn't have the autotune software yet) has not heard of this.

Thanks

Any links to the 562XP manual please?
... is it correct break in procedure that they suggest 3 to 5 minutes full throttle on first start? :-O
my local dealer (the one who doesn't have the autotune software yet) has not heard of this.

Thanks
that's 3 - 5 minutes of full throttle under load in the wood . not just screaming wide open no load.

that's 3 - 5 minutes of full throttle under load in the wood . not just screaming wide open no load.

yes understood thanks - and I know we're talking 2 cycle engines that love to scream, but 3 to 5 minutes full throttle in wood on first start, still goes against everything I've known and leaves me worried about longevity issues on these saws.

I appreciate your broader viewpoint that many are not having issues - that's good to know, but unusual break in procedures like this are contrary to ever bit of power equipment I've ever used.

[scratching my head]

Where are all the AT problems with the 555/560? Same components same software for the most part? It is a numbers game. For the first time ever, AT has hit the market big time. The actual "problems" are very few in reality. The joys of the internet have the ability to take a simple 16D nail a complex and troublesome technology for some that cant operate an up and down wrench.

Setting porting and mods aside, on a stock platform, the Gen2 AT saws have resulted in fewer customer issues the across the board in the years I have been selling them than the 300 and 400 series saws. Primarily as it removes the ability for the average consumer to use a turny thingy on the settings. 200-500 series most still can't read a manual or even listen to basic instruction on how the controls work. The human factor plays a lot in the equation.

The AT system is designed to run on 87 octane fuel (basically a true 95RON). Higher octanes can cause error codes/running issues. Yet we have people that insist on running higher octanes. Likewise with oil. Finally we have a tool to accurately calculate run times and the cause and effect of running different mixtures.
Seeing actual run times in different full time environments blows the doors off most past thoughts on run time.

Is there a problem with the inability of some dealers, of course there is, and AT brought it front and center. However the problem existed long before AT came about. It was just more easily hidden in there incompetence. Now the AT system has made many forget all together anything basic about a saw.

New AT saw in box. Take it out, hook it up, do function tests, then check for software updates. The continue on as all the other models, quick visual, add fuel and oil, verify operation (oiling, idling, response,highspeed, re-starting), re-check fasteners, instruct customer on how the thing works, and what the little button thingys do. Direct result, almost no AT related issues, new model issues yes, if I have to replace one more crankcase gasket well come on and ya want to pay me what to do it...............show me the monkey that can do one in an hour everytime.

Its super reliable and sturdy. You still get to troubleshoot your carb, oh yeah that another thing forgotten with AT, its still a friggin carb, remember how to work on one.

yes understood thanks - and I know we're talking 2 cycle engines that love to scream, but 3 to 5 minutes full throttle in wood on first start, still goes against everything I've known and leaves me worried about longevity issues on these saws.

I appreciate your broader viewpoint that many are not having issues - that's good to know, but unusual break in procedures like this are contrary to ever bit of power equipment I've ever used.

[scratching my head]
ive broke in more new saws than most folks on arborist site will ever see having been a logger and I have broke every saw in running in like its going to be run every day. never babied any one of them and never lost one doo to mechanical failure because of it.

Latest posts

Back