562xp won't pull a purge when hot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingDavey

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I used my 562xp the other day to drop a nice black locust(I think...)

After bucking it up, I couldn't get the purge bulb to pull fuel. It would pull mostly air, maybe 25% fuel. I got scared and didn't use the saw from then on. Wondering if anyone has seen this before. It pulled 100% fuel when it got cool again...

Happens to me all the time in summer i put it down to vapor lock , have a look were the fuel lines come out the tank tho , the breather and fuel line is a bit over engineered and if they twist around abit they mite be pinching together , happened to me once

Yup, happens to me often, especially as the weather starts to turn warm and winter blend fuel is still in the system. During the winter they add butane to allow the fuel to atomize better at low temps (mostly an issue with carbs). However, it turns out that gasoline mixed with about 10% ethanol has a much lower vaporization temperature. I use E10 and have had trouble with this even during the summer. If they have a purge bulb the fuel will just boil in it after you press it.

I always set the saws in the shade when I put them down, but still often have to start them on full choke hot and nurse them on partial choke until I can get them running again. More often than before I take a second saw just so I can swap back and forth if one acts up and needs to cool off.

Another reason ethanol in fuel is stupid.

Tried using the saw again today, worked well until hot then it died, wouldn't restart, wouldn't purge. Opened the fuel cap and looked inside, Fuel was boiling. Dumped out the old winter stuff, put some brand new non ethanol fuel in it, good to go, purges and everything. Thanks guys!

I don't need to use the primer bulb when my saw is warm. Never seen the fuel boil, either.

My weed wacker, J'red 2026 will boil the fuel in the summer and then start hard, I just crack the gas cap and the purge bulb then works fine and it starts right up.

Glad the saw's working! Nice even hinge. It's nice to see at least one other person in the "taking a dump" position while falling :cheers:

Glad your saw is now running correctly. Winter fuels are prone to vapor lock.

So how are you liking the 562 overall?
I love the saw, but I'm finding that I want more power. With a 28" bar it is easily overwhelmed in hard wood if you apply too much pressure. It does the trick though. I am getting impatient for the mystery Husqvarna 70cc and hopefully 90cc replacements.

I love the saw, but I'm finding that I want more power. With a 28" bar it is easily overwhelmed in hard wood if you apply too much pressure. It does the trick though. I am getting impatient for the mystery Husqvarna 70cc and hopefully 90cc replacements.
Get it ported, or drop back to a 20-24" bar. Mine is unstoppable with a 20" & it's stock...

Get it ported, or drop back to a 20-24" bar. Mine is unstoppable with a 20" & it's stock...
I originally had an early 2260 with a 20 and 16,Image00004.jpg Image00001.jpg
and this saw I originally had setup with a 20, but the 241 was too close in cutting capacity.

071.JPG
So now I run it with a reduced weight 28"
20150402_180108.jpg

Back