575xp operation report.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelofDarkness

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I finally got a chance to play with my new saw today. I cut up a big sugar maple log into some 16" rounds and cut the ugly gnarly top off the log that I think is bonfire material.

I have to say I was a tad bit disappointed. he saw started and ran good, and I put the bar on the log for my first cut. I was buzzing away through it at a reasonable speed, but not a whole lot faster than my Poulan 330 Pro w/22" bar. Then I made my first mistake, I let the bar tip hit the ground as I finished my first cut. Bad me. I could notice the dulled chain cutting slower immediately.

Then I made my second mistake. I am new to big bars and adjustable oilers and I did not realize the oiler had been put on the DUMP RESIVOIR setting from the factory, the oiler used up all the oil in about 3 minutes and without realizing it I was trying to cut with no oil on a 28" bar! I caught it only after making my third cut through the log and getting the tip of the bar in the ground AGAIN.

Then, after refilling the oil tank I started having chain tension problems, I dunno if it had to do with running out of oil, running a new chain that was really long or a combination of the two, but I just could not keep tension on the chain for more than 2 minutes without it coming loose again. So I decided to call it a day before I did any more damage. After rolling over the log I was working on I saw big oil marks from where I had been cutting.

I got the saw home, cleaned it up and read the manual on how to adjust the oil pump, I turned it down a bit and will try it again, I don't want to not have enough oil coming out on that big bar, but then again I should not have to add oil after every 2nd big cut either. I sharpened it up, tensioned the chain and cleaned off the dust, getting it ready for next time.

Hopefully after a few more tanks of gas I will get it broke in good and it will rev a bit higher, it didn't seem to have a whole lot of get up and go, like it should have been revving a bit higher. And it didnt take long to wear the paint off the new bar either.

Keep your oiler set on the highest setting that will keep you from running out of oil before you use a tank of gas. Never heard of a Dump Reservoir setting.

Is the 28" bar your only bar for the saw? A 20" bar will cut most wood you will enounter except for the occasional big stump. The long bar will make the saw feel off balance, heavy, and as you found out its easier to hit the ground and other junk with the bar tip on a big bar.

Your carb may be set too rich too. At WOT the saw should only have a very slight burble to it. I have not ran a 575 but from what I hear it is more of a torquey saw rather than a racehorse like the 372XP.

I have never heard of a saw using more than a tank of oil in one tank of gas, even with the oiler turned to max. Every saw I have used had at least 1/4 tank of oil left with the oiler turned to max. :confused: :confused: :confused:
Dok

THALL's 372 drains the oil tank with out even running............:laugh: :laugh:

Keep your oiler set on the highest setting that will keep you from running out of oil before you use a tank of gas. Never heard of a Dump Reservoir setting.

Is the 28" bar your only bar for the saw? A 20" bar will cut most wood you will enounter except for the occasional big stump. The long bar will make the saw feel off balance, heavy, and as you found out its easier to hit the ground and other junk with the bar tip on a big bar.

Your carb may be set too rich too. At WOT the saw should only have a very slight burble to it. I have not ran a 575 but from what I hear it is more of a torquey saw rather than a racehorse like the 372XP.

I wonder if there is something wrong with the oiling system then, because the manual specifys turning the oiler screw out 5 turns for using a 28" bar. It was turned out 3 1/2 turns from the dealer, I turned it in one turn and will try it again.

I might get a 24" bar for it, I wanted to go longer than 20" because I cut up a lot of big logs from city trees that are up to 36" across. I usually like using a timber hook to roll logs over but it doesn't always work on the big logs.

The motor seems to be running really smooth, it does not run uneven at all, at WOT its a steady whine. I did notice the high side jet is maxed out on the limiter cap, but I dunno if the dealer did that or the factory.

If you already have a 28" bar a 24" would be a waste of cash IMO.

A 20" will do everything a 24" will do 99% of the time. After running your 575 with a 20" bar your Poulan Pro will feel like a turd, trust me.

As stated above you should be able to max out the oiler without running out of oil before you run out of gas. All my saws with adjustable oilers are set to max anyways.

With a little time under your belt with the saw you two will become one

hmm, so in that case there is probably something wrong with the oiler if it's dumping the oil that quick. It's definitely getting onto the bar as indicated by the oil stains in my cuts. Maybe I should have the dealer look at it while it's under warranty, something does not seem right.

I will probably convert the PP330 to .325 with a 20" bar, the 3/8-22" bar on it will probably fit right on the Husky.

hmm, so in that case there is probably something wrong with the oiler if it's dumping the oil that quick. It's definitely getting onto the bar as indicated by the oil stains in my cuts. Maybe I should have the dealer look at it while it's under warranty, something does not seem right.

I will probably convert the PP330 to .325 with a 20" bar, the 3/8-22" bar on it will probably fit right on the Husky.

Keep the 3/8 chain and get a 16" bar. Turst me on this. .325 sucks. Plus you wont need to buy a sprocket then.

OK, I'm going to sound like a crank here. Here goes anyway.

If you ran the saw much at all after having it in the dirt twice and without bar oil, it's no wonder your not impressed. You've likely burn the chain and bar. It's no wonder you're having stretching problems. That chain had to have been smoking hot running dull and without oil. That's also a recipe for cooking an engine to boot.

I hate to be the bearer of a cranky message, but you seriously can't treat a saw like that. You should never run your saw with a dull chain. If you dull it, get it off there and put another on it. Or file it if you do so.

And what's up with recommending such short bars for a 73cc saw?

A 73cc saw that turns 13,600 RPMs is no slouch. Check that the rails of the bar aren't torn up, get a sharp chain on it, have the dealer check the RPMs, and I think you'll be much happier.

Peace man. Don't get mad at me. I just don't want to see you tear up your nice new saw.

+1

OK, I'm going to sound like a crank here. Here goes anyway.

If you ran the saw much at all after having it in the dirt twice and without bar oil, it's no wonder your not impressed. You've likely burn the chain and bar. It's no wonder you're having stretching problems. That chain had to have been smoking hot running dull and without oil. That's also a recipe for cooking an engine to boot.

I hate to be the bearer of a cranky message, but you seriously can't treat a saw like that. You should never run your saw with a dull chain. If you dull it, get it off there and put another on it. Or file it if you do so.

A 73cc saw that turns 13,600 RPMs is no slouch. Check that the rails of the bar aren't torn up, get a sharp chain on it, have the dealer check the RPMs, and I think you'll be much happier.

Peace man. Don't get mad at me. I just don't want to see you tear up your nice new saw.

+1, I was thinking the same thing. I was going to get there sooner or later....:chainsaw: :jawdrop:

Huh? A 20" bar and a 28" bar make the perfect combo for a 70cc saw. Plus a new user not used to big saws ought to start out with a smaller bar, its much easier to handle and control.

Having a rough day?

I sharpened the chain, the bar doesn't look too bad, I didn't run it very long before I caught the oiling problems, maybe a minute or two. It really got me by surprise, I was not expecting the oil to go out so fast like that. I didnt see any smoke and the first time I shut it down when I knew something was wrong the chain was not too hot to touch.

I put the chain back on and it rolls around the rails nicely, I don't think I did too much damage.

damn, i agree with 2000 on this one.

So when are you going to change your sig?

441 killer my ***.............:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

neither brand kills the other.they both make great saws and run pretty much neck and neck unless there is a problem with one of them.

is this a new saw? or did you buy it used?if it's new it has to break in after a few tanks of fuel.

in the furture,roll the log after your 3/4 through it.it will save you hours of aggrivation. don't take lessons from the YouTube instuctors.they will get you in a bad way every time.

also good advice on the chain.once you know you hit something other than wood,you need to stop and sharpen it or replace it.you WILL burn up a lot more than a chain.

Latest posts

Back