575xp operation report.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no experience with the 575, but have put a zillion hours on our old 480CD. Even though the 480CD is an "old" design, it is a very powerful saw. I'm sure it would pull a 28" bar without any trouble at all, but it would NOT be overly impressive.

I currently have a 24" bar on mine, simply because once in a while we'll encounter a pretty big tree, and I keep a 20" bar on the 268XPS, for most work. For most of it's life we've had a 20" bar on the 480. It is a BEAST with a 20" bar, and absolutely SCREAMS through any log without a grumble anyplace. With that said, going up to a 24" bar takes a LOT of power out of the saw. It does just fine with it, but cuts remarkably slower with the longer bar, not nearly as well balanced, and I keep sticking the d:censored: thing in the dirt. I just can't seem to get used to the long bar for anything other than cutting a tree down or cutting up the bigger part of the log, and I still have to stop about 3/4th of the way thru or I'll end up sticking the bar in the dirt sooner or later.

FWIW, I would get a 20" bar for the saw, and save the longer bar for the big work. My bet is that the saw will take on a whole new character with the shorter bar?

I would also remove the limiter cap(s), they are there only to please the EPA. I have found very, very few saws that didn't need more fuel than factory setting(s) would provide. This usually adds some additional power as well......Cliff

First, I am not sure if this applies to the 575, but Husky has had an error in their manuals regarding how to adjust the oiler. They used the word "turns" instead of "clicks" which made the instruction meant as "turn the oiler 3 clicks counter-clock-wise" read "turn the oiler 3 turns counter-clock-wise". The bad thing was when you counted turns instead of clicks you permanently damaged the oiler, and in many cases it simply came loose and parts fell off. That affects oil consumption...

However, yours might be right in talking about turns, but it might be something to check out. If this was what happened I think Husqvarna is treating this under warranty, have your dealer call them if he doesn't agree.

I think you are right, seeing as after I got the saw home I read the manual and looked at the oiler, the first thing I did was turn the screw in until it stopped and realized there was no way for the manual specs to be right in full turns, as it specified 4+ "turns" for a long bar and it was only out 3 1/2 turns when it dumped all the oil. So I turned it out 2 1/2 turns and figured that would be a good starting point, but I am still going to call my dealer and tell him about this problem. I did not feel or hear any "clicks" but I was not feeling for them either. I did not turn it in very tight when I bottomed it out because I was afraid of damaging something, so that might have been a "click" there.

And I have also noticed the Husky guys offering real advice, while all the Stihl guys just want to tell me I don't know anything and don't know what I am doing. Thanks a lot.

Don't even make this a brand war. You're the one that stuck your chain in the dirt twice and then complained about it's performance. I'll give you this though. Some of the responses last night were a little harsh. May have been the weekend brews talking.

Last edited:
I think you are right, seeing as after I got the saw home I read the manual and looked at the oiler, the first thing I did was turn the screw in until it stopped and realized there was no way for the manual specs to be right in full turns, as it specified 4+ "turns" for a long bar and it was only out 3 1/2 turns when it dumped all the oil. So I turned it out 2 1/2 turns and figured that would be a good starting point, but I am still going to call my dealer and tell him about this problem. I did not feel or hear any "clicks" but I was not feeling for them either. I did not turn it in very tight when I bottomed it out because I was afraid of damaging something, so that might have been a "click" there.

And I have also noticed the Husky guys offering real advice, while all the Stihl guys just want to tell me I don't know anything and don't know what I am doing. Thanks a lot.

You obviously have a big investment in your Brand New Saw and are hoping against hope that you will magically fix a saw that wasn't working properly right out of the box.

My advice to you, and take it with however many grains of salt you wish, is that before you do another thing to the saw, get it into the dealer and make a warranty claim that the oiler isn't functioning properly. Let Husky solve the problem while it is still Husky's problem. If it is returned to you and it still isn't working, bring it right back in and make another warranty claim.

Well I talked to my dealer and he said not to worry about any oiler problems that the warranty would take care of any problem of that sort, another reason I didn't go with that a$$hole Stihl dealer.

I also looked at the manual and the oiler adjustment again, yes it does have click detents as mentioned earlier in the thread and yes the manual mis-identifies them as "turns", and seeing as a "click" = 1/4 turn of screw travel, and I was running it at 3 full turns out yesterday, I was running it on 12 "clicks" where the manual specified about 5, so no wonder I dumped out all the oil. I also removed the bar and chain and inspected the drive sprocket, bar and chain for damage, everything seems to look okay, the drive links are not all chewed up and it should be allright to try again. My dealer told me to try it with the oiler re adjusted and if it continues to give me problems bring it in and have them look at it.

And you Stihl guys never hesitate to dish it out at us Husky guys so if I give a little of it back get over it.

Well I talked to my dealer and he said not to worry about any oiler problems that the warranty would take care of any problem of that sort, another reason I didn't go with that a$$hole Stihl dealer.

And you Stihl guys never hesitate to dish it out at us Husky guys so if I give a little of it back get over it.

So are you calling me a Stihl guy.???

AoD give the saw a chance after its run in.
Dont knock the Stihls just because of the dealer.
The big 4 all make good saws and a few not so good saws!
But to knock all Stihls just because it winds up some people here is a bit ott hell we already have Red and Wanab for that!

No, I knock Stihls because everyone of them I have used has been disappointing and I don't think they are much of a saw for the price, and frankly I don't know why they are so popular. My lousy Stihl dealer here gives me even more reason to dislike Stihl.

No, I knock Stihls because everyone of them I have used has been disappointing and I don't think they are much of a saw for the price, and frankly I don't know why they are so popular. My lousy Stihl dealer here gives me even more reason to dislike Stihl.

Did you get the chain in the dirt on the Stihl too?

You obviously never ran a MS361......:jawdrop:

First, I am not sure if this applies to the 575, but Husky has had an error in their manuals regarding how to adjust the oiler. They used the word "turns" instead of "clicks" which made the instruction meant as "turn the oiler 3 clicks counter-clock-wise" read "turn the oiler 3 turns counter-clock-wise". The bad thing was when you counted turns instead of clicks you permanently damaged the oiler, and in many cases it simply came loose and parts fell off. That affects oil consumption...

However, yours might be right in talking about turns, but it might be something to check out. If this was what happened I think Husqvarna is treating this under warranty, have your dealer call them if he doesn't agree.

I heard of that, but on the 372xp it actually is turns....

I just bought a 575xp about 2 weeks ago. First Husky I've owned, probaly the last. I am having oiling problems as well, doesn't work worth a ___. It was only opened 2 turns from the dealer, so I turned it up to 4 turns, still doesn't put out enough oil for the 20" bar I have on it. The other problem is the lack of power, I have an old echo 500 that I got from my grandfather, that I've been using for the past 5 years, and I't cuts just as fast as the husky. Although if the oiler was working right might be a diffrent story.

Oh I forgot to mention I to have the chain problem, although could be due to the lack of oil. How many turns can you open your oiler from the closed position. I can only get 4 1/2 out of mine.

so how many stihls have you actually ran??? models??
how many REAL chainsaws have you actually ran?

don't knock, degrade or critisize something that you have very little knowledge about. it will just make you look like a fool in the end. The best way to criticize something is to know everything about it....and the competetion....and i don't think that is the case....

btw: do you have the special tool for removing the clutch yet...i'd get yourself one

Last edited:
saws

so how many stihls have you actually ran??? models??
how many REAL chainsaws have you actually ran?

don't knock, degrade or critisize something that you have very little knowledge about. it will just make you look like a fool in the end. The best way to criticize something is to know everything about it....and the competetion....and i don't think that is the case....

btw: do you have the special tool for removing the clutch yet...i'd get yourself one

SI, look in his sig, the only semi-real saw in there is the 575. And he prolly hasn't ran any real stihls either.....:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Oh I forgot to mention I to have the chain problem, although could be due to the lack of oil. How many turns can you open your oiler from the closed position. I can only get 4 1/2 out of mine.

Read the thread again... it's not turns, it's clicks and 1 click = 1/4 turn. You probably damaged the oiler.

Ian

Back