575xp operation report.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I knock Stihls because everyone of them I have used has been disappointing and I don't think they are much of a saw for the price, and frankly I don't know why they are so popular. My lousy Stihl dealer here gives me even more reason to dislike Stihl.

Stihl saws aren't impressive so you bought a Husky. Doesn't sound like it's too impressive either. Dissing a product that is #1 World Wide because you don't like your local dealer is prety immature, IMHO. What Stihl's have you run anyway? Based on your sig, your experience has mostly been with homeowner class saws. If you'd have done your research, you'd have seen that the 575 isn't that well spoken of to begin with. You'd have been better of with a 372 from what I hear. What brand you going to now since Husky is so unimpressive? Of course that opinion will be firmly based on one saw:confused:

The bottom line is that both Stihl and Husky make some great saws. I don't own any Husky's but I've run 357, 372, and a 395. Stihl's I have run are 026, 260, 039, 360, 361, 440, 460, 066, 075, 084, 045S, 015, 011. Need I go on? They all run great. Even the Huskys.

OK. Enough bashing. I tell you what. We're all really a bunch of nice guys at heart. Come on down to one of our GTG and most any of us will let you run our saws. You're bound to find something you like.

Last edited:
i suggest trading it for the 372xp fast.this is the last year.

i have never adjusted the oiler on any of mine and they all oil fine.THALL's 372 oils too good.the 575s i used were pathetic.

i'm not a big Stihl fan just because Husky feels better in my hand but i will tell you this,they make excellent saws and Husky has its share of moron dealers as well. as does Dolmar.i have met some very good Echo dealers and it was a shame because you couldn't pay me to take an Echo out of any store.

To answer your question, the only Stihls I have run are an 009, an 015AV, an 026 and an 044. None of them impressed me in the least, the 044 was marginal at best while the 009 is a sheer abomination of engineering. All the Husky's I have ran and owned feel nice and smooth, have better balance and rev higher than any of the Stihls I have owned.

And I am not taking this saw back to the dealer unless there is a major problem with it the next time I use it.

my 575xp is equipped with a 24" bar, and runs great, hasn't let me down yet...I bit heavy, but I'm not in the woods all day, so it's great for me, much more power then my 357xp, but I do enjoy my 7900 for power.

To answer your question, the only Stihls I have run are an 009, an 015AV, an 026 and an 044. None of them impressed me in the least, the 044 was marginal at best while the 009 is a sheer abomination of engineering. All the Husky's I have ran and owned feel nice and smooth, have better balance and rev higher than any of the Stihls I have owned.

The 015 is a 35 year old design yet still turns 13K. What's not to like? The 026 is one of the most proven saws of all time. Same with the 044. What didn't you like about them? Just the feel or what? Nothing wrong with not liking the feel. But you can't argue with their proven track record.

Let me ask you this. What saws have you run that you were impressed with. And why?

The 015 is my dads, and it runs/cuts allright, just lacks power. The 026 and 044 just fely clunky and didn't have good balance/feel, and the 009 was just a complete pile of crap that nothing was working right on, and it still had that clunky, blocky feel to it. Huskys feel so much smoother.

Saws I do like are my PP330, Husky 55 and I have ran a 346xp and 272xp that were both very impressive. I liked my Echo CS-345 until it broke. I am also partial to old Homelites, I learned to cut with an old Super XL.

No, I knock Stihls because everyone of them I have used has been disappointing and I don't think they are much of a saw for the price, and frankly I don't know why they are so popular. My lousy Stihl dealer here gives me even more reason to dislike Stihl.

It is widely acknowledged that the MS441 owns the 575xp...you are living in some kind of fantasy world if you think otherwise.

A Poulan Pro 330 impressed you and a Stihl 044 didn't. Wow.. that speaks volumes. I may be mistaken but I think your credibility may have just taken a nose dive through the basement floor.

Ian

yup

It is widely acknowledged that the MS441 owns the 575xp...you are living in some kind of fantasy world if you think otherwise.

Yup, I've seen them both run. The 441 does beat the 575.....:greenchainsaw:

I'm kind of fishing for a preconceived answer to a question I haven't asked you. The fact that you learned to cut with an old Homelite furthers my suspicion.

I'm going to guess that your fairly heavy handed, dogging in the spikes and torquing the saw. That's how a lot of old saws were run. They didn't make a lot of RPMs but had gobs of torque. My BIL is like this, having run an old 041FB all his life.

It's just a surmising. I may be wrong. Try letting the saw keep it's RPMs up. Don't dog the spikes in. Just feed the saw into the cut and let it pull itself for the most part. I use very little pressure on the spikes. See how that works when you take your 575 back out.

Yeah I used to cut like that until the last year or so when I learned how to listen to the saw and keep the rev's up. I checked over the chain on my 575 after I got it home, it was duller than dull, so I sharpened it good, I was also surprised to see the rakers on a brand new chain were a bit high! I didn't take those down yet, maybe after another sharpening. I am running full-skip chain, I wonder if semi-skip would increase my cutting speed without hurting saw performance. I did dig the spikes in on the 575 and I could tell when I put enough pressure on it to make it groan. The log I was cutting was also some hard stuff, the heartwood of that sugar maple was rock hard.

I myself have only one problem with stihl and thats their prices are outrageous and now husky is following the same routine so I have turned to Dolmar they make a good saw and it isnt over priced YET. As far as your 575 I havent run one but no saw will run well with a dull chain. I have run stihl 038 av, 041fb and 460 mag and was very impressed with all three the vibes are a little rough on the old saws but they are about 30 years old.

Could you post a couple of pics of the bar and chain?

Close up side and top views of the chain?

Here ya go, sorry about the crappy lighting and one is a bit blurry, my camera does not like up close pics.

chain1edited.jpg

chain2edited.jpg

Is that Oregon JGX?

If your chain dulled that fast - you are probably in need of a semi-chisel chain. It's gonna hold up better when cutting hard wood like that.

Back