576 AT or 441 CM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarred Agney

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok I'm sure somewhere on here there is a thread covering this, actually I've found a few but they are all older. My next saw will be a jump to a "big saw" to me. I'll be running a 24" bar on either one and it will be used on occasion but will not be primary use saw.

So AT or MT is a must, I don't have time nor patience to fiddle with getting a saw running right screwing with a carb. I enjoy tinkering, but not on something in relying on to heat my house. I've got that out of the way, so here is the other consideration. I've got plenty of Stihl dealers in the area, and hardly any Husq dealers. That isn't the end of the world, but it's a consideration. The only mod I'll be doing is muffler, which is where the old threads are useless to me. There were some reports of this brbei an issue with the Husq and AT but this was with early models. (Also we all know how the internet works how much truth there is in those reports i don't know) I believe both have the quirks worked out of there AT technology but I'm not sure. Either saw will be given AV fuel do to speratic usage i don't know if that is a consideration or not, but wouldn't think it would matter. The last thing for details on the saw is when i decide I'll need some advice on chain selection. I'm reasonably experienced, but honestly over the past 5 years ran a saw probably only 10-12 times a year average. When i get a chain i just tell them I need a chain for X saw and take what they give me. But in the coming years moving into a home with a wood stove I'll be using the saw a lot more. So with all things considered which way should i be leaning and are there any pointers or tips on what route to go and advice associated with the choice.

Last thing I work retail (own a gun shop) and I hate playing the haggle game and would like to keep my business local. What is a reasonably fair price for both myself and my dealer, I'm not looking for the best deal just a fair one. I'm also not looking to overpay either, they need to make their money and I have no issue with that but I'm not about being taken advantage of either.

Thanks ahead of time guys and gals for any help!

There both good saws what ever you pick, go with the dealer you find the best but handle both and find the saw you like the most, as a stihl diehard fan I always found the 441 a tad heavy but I've never handled a 576, as for price don't be afraid to ask for there best price

Go with the dealer you trust

When it comes to pro saws build quality etc are about the same Husk/Stihl, either will be fine with a muff mod.

The only problem i see though is that the 441cm has a goofy carb system that needs to be cleaned periodically or it gets buggered up and don't work right.

Otherwise, if yer up to it, it don't take long to fiddle with a carb and get it set right once you know how. And you really only need to monkey with em when you change elevation a bunch or dramatic changes in weather.

If your only going to run a 24 inch bar, I would save some $$$ and get a 562xp. Autotune saw, lighter weight, and plenty of power for a 24 inch bar.
IMO, the two models you asked about are the 2 least appealing models in each brands lineups. The ms461 and 372xp are much better options. And honestly, the way the EPA makes them do the carburetors now, there really isn't any fidiling... Just run em. And as long as you use good fuel (no ethonal) sitting for awhile won't bother the carb either.

Moved to Chainsaws for more/better discussion.

Not sure but I think the 441 is off the market. It was never quite successful.

This is false, I just ordered a brand new MS441 R C-M from my Stihl dealer no more than a month ago and it came straight from the main US Distributor, it is also still listed on the Stihl USA website. I have never heard of the MS441 having a "funny" carb that needs cleaning more often than any other Stihl Pro saw, I find this hard to believe with the M-Tronic system, but maybe this is referencing the older carb version?!

To the OP, I went with Stihl on all of my Pro saws because I found them to be the better option based on design and feedback from professional users in my research, I see no issue with Husky and find them to be the best alternative. I would purchase based off of dealer availability in your area, either brand will serve you well.

I wanted to buy the new MS462 C-M, but it is not yet out here in the states and I wanted to stick with M-Tronic saws so I eliminated the MS461 from my consideration, enter the MS441. It is a little heavy in comparison to the MS461 which has more power and pretty much the same weight, but I took the M-Tronic advantage over the weight savings. I have R model (3/4 wrap handle) and it has a stiffer AV than the standard MS441, I find it to be an extremely smooth running saw and with the 28" bar it balances well. I have had it buried in a lot of different types of wood recently and it has yet to let me down, there's plenty of power on tap. I am pleased with my purchase and have no complaints to speak of.

I’d almost say to wait until the 572xp comes out. Everything I’ve read suggests it’s going to be a killer saw. If you’re in a hurry, the 562xp is a very good saw and I have no issues burying a 24 inch bar in hardwoods. I’d suggest a skip chain though, whereas 576 you could run full comp and have plenty of power.

This is false, I just ordered a brand new MS441 R C-M from my Stihl dealer no more than a month ago and it came straight from the main US Distributor, it is also still listed on the Stihl USA website.

I'm just going by the rumors which are current hereabouts; I know that saw was never popular here so it could be that local dealers just don't care to keep it on the shelves. I know there's a lot of interest in both the upcoming 462 and 442. I will be interested in both, as well as the 572.

So from what I'm reading and just a quick search both companies are releasing new saws in the range of what I'm looking for. As everyone mentioned. So it's looking like I'd be best to wait a little bit before jumping on getting anything. Something to add, I plan on running 24" bar with whatever i go with mostly because I'd prefer to have the little extra power over the bar length sense I won't need it more times than not. I'm thinking quicker cuts equals higher production, sound logic?

Between the new saws I still don't know what route to go, part of me leans towards Stihl do to so many local dealers. But Husk's marketing is kicking but on new saw information. Their right up is much better and gives a better outline of what you're getting with the new saw. Not the case with Stihl, it might be all marketing and gimmicks, but it's swaying me a bit.

Thanks for everyone's help so far!

I have only run a 576 a/t ...although a bit heavy... has loads of torque... and very heavy built bottom end ( large crank and bearings) ....one of the smoothest saws you will run... and I would recommend the saw........ however as stated by others here in the post ....... both saws your looking at were never a very popular model...

Go with the dealer you trust

When it comes to pro saws build quality etc are about the same Husk/Stihl, either will be fine with a muff mod.

The only problem i see though is that the 441cm has a goofy carb system that needs to be cleaned periodically or it gets buggered up and don't work right.

Otherwise, if yer up to it, it don't take long to fiddle with a carb and get it set right once you know how. And you really only need to monkey with em when you change elevation a bunch or dramatic changes in weather.

I second that. Take 5min to watch a video on how to adjust a carb and 5 more to do it yourself. That said, I have an ms441cm and love it. Right now I have a 25in bar on it since that was my only bar that wasn’t being used. Personally, I think the 25 is a little short for a 70cc range saw. After running it, you can just feel that it’s hungry for more. It may be worth considering something in the 60cc range. I suppose if your only cutting hard woods then you may have the right setup, but in my experience I think a 441 is too strong for a bar of that size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to be anti 441 till i got one that ran good ,now i like the snoothness and the air filter keeps clean way longer than a 440 or 461 huskys are good saws just dont fit me in the handlebar bend ,hand feels turned wrong for me ,comfort is important when deciding ,you may try them both before deciding.

I used to be anti 441 till i got one that ran good ,now i like the snoothness and the air filter keeps clean way longer than a 440 or 461 huskys are good saws just dont fit me in the handlebar bend ,hand feels turned wrong for me ,comfort is important when deciding ,you may try them both before deciding.

Samesies

That and dealer support for husky's here is atrocious.

I used to be anti 441 till i got one that ran good ,now i like the snoothness and the air filter keeps clean way longer than a 440 or 461

I agree, the biggest deterrent aside from the lack of M-Tronic on the 461 for me was all of the reports of stuff getting past the filter on that particular saw. I am not sure why there is so much hate towards the 441, maybe the original was awful, but the current one I have is excellent. And this rumor of a 442 is the first I am hearing of it, lots of here say in regards to new model rumors as of late.

I have not seen pictures yet but I have definitely heard rumors that Stihl is working on a new 70cc saw. I think they will probably scale down 462 dimensions like Husky did 562 vs 550 to fit that displacement. I doubt they will scale up the 362, as that design is already several years old. I suspect but cannot confirm that the saw in question is already being tested in this region. I'd put a beer on pics showing up within the next year.

I have not seen pictures yet but I have definitely heard rumors that Stihl is working on a new 70cc saw. I think they will probably scale down 462 dimensions like Husky did 562 vs 550 to fit that displacement. I doubt they will scale up the 362, as that design is already several years old. I suspect but cannot confirm that the saw in question is already being tested in this region. I'd put a beer on pics showing up within the next year.
462 is availiable an europe ,they loik kind of like a bigger 362 to me pictures have been on the net for over a year now the whole top plastic pops off with screws like a husky to work on the engine

Ok, so I have another question am I on the wrong track with thinking I need a 70 cc class saw. After this I'll be getting a 262cm, realistically it should probably be next. However I know if I don't splurge on a bigger saw next I'll likely just "get by" with a smaller saw wishing I had gotten a bigger one. But why are the 70 class saws so unpopular, or is it just the 2 I picked?

I, as well as every regular saw user I know, both pro and non, love 70cc saws. They are a fantastic tool for their size and nicely make up the grunt a 60cc machine can't while staying way lighter than an 80+cc machine. I would hardly call 70cc saws unpopular. See what a 044 or a 372 is fetching on eBay and tell me that's an unpopular class.

Latest posts

Back