576xp 0r 372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how that is possible, I feel the 372xp is about as smooth as a saw can get?

Personally the 576xp just looks too bulky and heavy compared to the 372xp. If I needed more power (than the 372xp has), I would jump streight to the 390xp.

If you haven't run a 576 yet you should try one out. Husky has put rubber bumpers between the crankcase and fuel tank and also has a limiter in the handlebar.

Thanks for all the input . I guess what I really wanted to know is the 576xp as dependable as the 372xp . I will probably use the saw to cut large logs but after thinking about it I will limb with it too. I have a small saw that I can limb with but once I start a saw I usually don't put it down untill im done or need to gas it up. Anything else you guys can tell me about the saws would be great im new to the forum and don't know alot about all the different saws. I have cut firewood for years but recently got interested in saws . I hope this isn't addicting. Lol

Thanks again for all your help

576xp or 372xp

I am also considering both of these saws. It"s a a hard descision. They are both x torqs so i am not sure if the tried and true reputation of the 372 applies. I have been going back and forth and like many people echo on this sight neither one would be a bad choice. What it boils down to for me is, is the extra power of the 576 worth the extra pound or so? I think i have read every post on this sight and I am still not sure. Right now I am leaning toward the 372xpxt. :msp_unsure:

To ad to what Mikefunaro, and Zogger talked about. There was a time I use to bounce back, and forth and grab multiple saw's. For falling, limbing etc. When I go to a job or even cutting wood I bring all five. I usually travel a distance, and rule of thumb is to bring all my gear. I showed up for a job being short something once. Never again. But what Mike said I have run into alot of people who consider the 70cc saw's limbing saw's. Around here the timber faller's use the 066-660. I use to argue with a few when I was young, about me grabbing different saw's for limbs etc. They were all raised on the one saw do all plan. Tom me the 70cc saw's arent big, weight is not to much more than a 20, or 24in saw really for the extra power you get. And one of there biggesst seller's for the 70cc saw's, has alway's been gas mileage right? Anyway I dont run 20in saw's much if any anymore, and most of the time I start, and finish a tree with the same saw anymore.

realistically

To ad to what Mikefunaro, and Zogger talked about. There was a time I use to bounce back, and forth and grab multiple saw's. For falling, limbing etc. When I go to a job or even cutting wood I bring all five. I usually travel a distance, and rule of thumb is to bring all my gear. I showed up for a job being short something once. Never again. But what Mike said I have run into alot of people who consider the 70cc saw's limbing saw's. Around here the timber faller's use the 066-660. I use to argue with a few when I was young, about me grabbing different saw's for limbs etc. They were all raised on the one saw do all plan. Tom me the 70cc saw's arent big, weight is not to much more than a 20, or 24in saw really for the extra power you get. And one of there biggesst seller's for the 70cc saw's, has alway's been gas mileage right? Anyway I dont run 20in saw's much if any anymore, and most of the time I start, and finish a tree with the same saw anymore.

Of the no doubt at least ten million or more dudes who own and use saws in the US..how many are big pacific north west timber faellers (spelt that way on purpose..ha...and I will continue to spell it that way, too, just because I think it's hilarious), or large scale commercial firewood guys anyplace? My guess is, well under 1% are actual bonafide big league professionals. Much higher on this website of course, but out in the wild, in the general population...real real low numbers. And the amount of guys who have to pack in a saw sixteen miles on their back and cut..even lower than that, even among the professionals.

I still think a 70 for limbing is sorta serious overkill for the other 99% of the population who aren't loggers or commercial firewood guys (sorta skipping arborists because they use every size that exists all the time), and most likely you-being included in the "70 is a limbing saw" range- would be leaving behind some really big limbs or pieces of limbs in huge slash piles, or all that good wood is just run through a chipper or just dumped at the dump or bulldozed up and doused with diesel and torched. Am I right? Did I guess right? I know you keep some for your own firewood, but most of what you cut....

I do farm and fenceline cleanup and firewooding, I cut at least twice a week, year round, saplings and branches to some 20 to thirty inch diameter stuff, and keep all my wood for the firewood stash from around wrist size on up always. I love getting big loads of "no splitting required but still decent sized to burn" wood. Sometimes depending on species and quantity, I'll milk it out and cut smaller than that. I try to only leave what I can run over with the field mower the next season, nothing large enough to cause damage to tires or like hydraulic lines or the mower itself, or send stuff flying. So there's no way I would limb with a 70 (don't even own anything that big now, although I need one, and nope, never gonna limb with it if I get one either, unless all my other saws are broke down)

So I think that is where we differ on this. I am not a pro, but more than a weekend warrior suburban guy, cutting is part of my job, but not all my job, so that is the angle I was coming from. I understand you serious full time pros have different perspectives and priorities, it just blew my mind on the whole idea of using a big saw like that for limbing. I guess to you guys "limbing" is taking every single branch most of the time right off at the trunk, and that's it, but to all of us other 99% of the population, limbing is getting a bit more out of that tree to take home or handle, we start out farther on the limbs and work back to the trunk, not just walk down the trunk and whack all the limbs off right there. And for that work, we use smaller saws for the most part, very generally speaking.

And like has been noted here literally hundreds of times, most guys still use at least a "two saw plan", with the most voted for or commented on that I have seen being a combo 50 and a 70 as the most all around practical, with the 50 being the limber.

I have never seen "new" tech be the same price to replace as "old" tech. If the fuel delivery system on an auto tune is the same price to replace as a carb, I'd be quite surprised.

Well get surprised, geesh a dealer has already told you final answer, want to call a friend or another dealer?

I do more farm cleanup than anything else lately. This year there's been 100 trees or so that have fell on the farm and most are bigger than 10" up to 60" with most red oak or cherry. I don't feel a 50cc saw makes any headway with the limbs over 8" and is a lot worse to work with on the trunks. I was under sawed on one oak with a 372 and a 24" bar. The 390 hit a rock with the 30" bar and I had to walk around both sides on a slope to the lower side to start cuts so I could finish them on the high side. The other relatives will cut the limbs off these trees for their firewood and leave all this stuff since a 55cc saw with a 20" bar is the biggest they've used.

Seem's like you got a funny thing about PNW Faller's eh Zogger, that's cool if you read many logging, and big timber book's, alot of it is area I grew up in, and guy's I have been raised around. A 70cc saw is not a big saw in my eye's. Medium at best around here. I don't have a two saw plan, I got five. I dont have to walk sixteen mile's. Some I drive right up too. I have a four wheeler to. I don't take offense, because I don't take your'e view serious, you dont cut what I cut, and two totally different area's, and life style's. It work's for you great! I cut about ten cord's a year for what I burn, and friend's. Cut anywhere from 2-7 day's a week. I don't leave slash pile's can't stand pile'd up brush. Burn some brush pile's chip alot. I can tell you I don't have the time or patience to cut down to wrist size firewood. I do take offense to you calling the faller's here a name, just to mock them. The people, and family's here cut there teeth on real timber, without them the chainsaw, and timber world would not be what it is today.

Oh, I was joshing

Seem's like you got a funny thing about PNW Faller's eh Zogger, that's cool if you read many logging, and big timber book's, alot of it is area I grew up in, and guy's I have been raised around. A 70cc saw is not a big saw in my eye's. Medium at best around here. I don't have a two saw plan, I got five. I dont have to walk sixteen mile's. Some I drive right up too. I have a four wheeler to. I don't take offense, because I don't take your'e view serious, you dont cut what I cut, and two totally different area's, and life style's. It work's for you great! I cut about ten cord's a year for what I burn, and friend's. Cut anywhere from 2-7 day's a week. I don't leave slash pile's can't stand pile'd up brush. Burn some brush pile's chip alot. I can tell you I don't have the time or patience to cut down to wrist size firewood. I do take offense to you calling the faller's here a name, just to mock them. The people, and family's here cut there teeth on real timber, without them the chainsaw, and timber world would not be what it is today.

Oh I was joking about the spelling. Started reading that argument thread on the proper way to say or spell faller or feller, so I decided to combine the two.

Ya, different areas and situations need different saws. In my area not many guys have larger than a 70. They exist of course but not many use them. There's two saw shops in town, only one even carries a 70 size on the shelf. I would imagine that 50 to 60 is around a big saw around here. You could see that after the tornadoes this year, tons of big trunks left after all the branches were cut up. Heck, I have a few now I stopped at the trunk, and even some of the branches were a hassle as to being big. One hickory I have already toted back a dozen loads and change with the tractor and there's still a lot left on that tree. This whole area had thousands of trees blown down and you can still see a lot of remnants in people's yards. And some whole trees still, if they didn't hit a building, they are just sitting there.

offtopic, hog hunting....you might couldn't believe some of the whoppers they got here. Not exactly around my area of the state but down the middle to southern parts of the state. I was out once down there, saw one, had a clean easy shot and passed it up! The reason I passed it up was..the thing was about 2/3rds the size of a VW Beetle! I looked at it and went "no way I can do anything with this carcass right now, can't load it, at home ain't got near the freezer for it".

LOL! No sweat Bro! That's cool, I dont want to take away from a 70cc saw either. More than capable for alot of thing's I have a 372, and 044 I use all the time. I see where you are coming from I am not a wood waster either, and utilze what I can. And hate brush piles, and slash. Trying to chase after my dog's, and pig's get tripped up in that shiat! Never should have been allowed. I think it all should have been pushed up, and burn back in the day. Now with the sudden oak death it has destroyed, all the tan oak's, and made a mess of brush evrywhere. Though tan oak in area neede'd the thinning, bad fire danger now, and slash everywhere. Sad to, because I have seen some giant old growth tan oak die, and had to remove them. The last one we took down was 5 foot7 inches on the butt. Old, and awesome tree, dead for two years. Some we have just had to pile up, and burn tree's, and all just down everywhere, and they dont last on the ground. Speaking of hog's my dog's are my best buddy's, and my favorite past time, time with them, and time in the wood's. Alot of day's consist of, tree job Boar hunt, or Boar hunt cut wood LOL!View attachment 198662View attachment 198663View attachment 198664View attachment 198665

My 372/390's are the go to saws for just about everything except maybe a pine thinning or cutting in small firewood then the 357 will get used. I have never used 2 saws to cut anything until it runs out of fuel then I will grab another one, so what I felled the tree with it also gets cut up with the same saw. Back on topic, a modded or stock 372 is a tough saw to beat in most any application in the North East. CJ

You really use a 372 for a limber? You don't have any smaller saws, or just like wasting wood or fuel? I'm serious, that's a big saw. There are any number of smaller good saws that get much better mix and bar oil consumption and will limb fine, and would be "easier to throw around".

To me, using a saw like that to limb with is like using a dumptruck for a commuter car. Now I could see using it on huge trees with tree size limbs of their own on them, but a tree that size you would still start out with a smaller saw out on the furtherest branch ends.

Just wondering now, what do you normally cut, what species and size and for what purpose. Perhaps you have a great reason to use a saw like that for limbing, I just can't think of one. Disclaimer:cut a lot of small medium and whopper eastern hardwoods and some big pines, but never any like 200 foot redwoods like from outwest, and going by my experience..that's why I am so incredulous on that 372 as a limbing saw deal. And the most common thing you read here about a "saw plan" is a 50cc and 70cc, with the 50 being the limber.

My 372 does it all....but it's all I have left....well kinda....there is a Husky/Jonsered "project" saw/s sitting on the kitchen table....;)

i really enjoy my 372xp. with a good sharp chain i believe its hard to beat. but i really like running my 350. but when you want the job done the 372 does it and does it fast! i can really lean on it if i want to without loosing power or it bogging even with 20" bar buried. i have no run time on a 576 so i can not comment.best of luck to you guys in the hunt for your new saws!

Latest posts

Back