6.6L Duramax

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2003 DMax EC/SB has 80,000+ miles and I've been a happy camper with it. Other than the intermediate shaft fix under warranty, and a leaking axle seal under warranty, I haven't had to do anything to it but fuel filters and oil/oil filters. I added a secondary fuel filter early on-has better filtration and is a lot easier to change than the stock one.

I love diesels, but your not really saving anything by buying one. First, you gotta pay for the diesel option. Then, oil changes are rather high. Plus more frequent filter changes. The fuel savings is not that much, especially now that diesel is average 35-40 cents higher per gallon, which means for every 20 gallons of diesel, you coulda bought 5 more gallons of gas. If something breaks, its a whole lot more expensivefor parts, plus it takes more than average joe mechanic to work on today's diesels. If your not strictly heavy duty towing 24/7 i'd skip the diesel. I work with a guy that pulls a lot of heavy loads with a 6.0 2500 gas burner, and he loves it. Between his weekend horse pulling, and weekly work commute, he averages 14.5MPG. My yukon has the 6.0 325hp, but i haven't towed much with it.

Well I had one 07 chevy. Ended up going through arbitration because it kept throwing low fuel rail pressure code. They put a new pressure sensor, fuel filter, fuel filter housing, cp3 pump etc etc, about everything on that truck. They never got it right. Chevy kept saying give us another chance to fix it. While my 40k dollar truck was in the shop they graciously gave me a rent a CAR or a delta Oldsmobile 88 as a loaner to drive. No joke they could not nor would they give me a truck as a loner. Cant do much work with a car. Well long story short the arbitrator decided to give me my money back for that truck - .65 cents a mile and no joke chevy through all the trips to the dealer and the tech actually driving the truck home "to try to diagnose the problem" they put on over 2000 miles. I had to eat the mileage, tax title license, and the bed liner. I ended up losing a big chunk of change. Part of the arbitration was I had to buy another 07 chevrolet. This 07 chevy has let me down twice. Both times, I had my goosneck dump trailer on the truck. The wrecker they sent to pick the truck up both times was a joke. Both times they sent a rollback flatbed and it would not fit my truck (my truck is a crew cab 8 ft box, and wont fit on 19ft beds that most wreckers have. So they had to call someone else, they sent a conventional wrecker that just picks up the front wheels. Well, they couldn't tow my truck with the gooseneck on. Both times I was left straded on the side of the road with my goosneck trailer. Luckily I had a friend come and get my trailer or it would have had to sit or wait for the police to find a way to tow it. Oh yeah and both times The new 07 broke down was on a sunday, and it is up to the dealer to get you a rental car or arrange for a rental so I was sol until monday. I realize most automakers would have done the same thing ford dodge etc. Most automakers would have not provided me with a truck, most would have said well tow our vehicle in but your on your own with the trailer. My question though is what if it would have been my wife stranded on the side of the road hundreds of miles away with horses? Then what? tow the truck and leave the trailer on the side of the road with the horses? Ill admit when the truck is running they are great. It runs nice tows great, plenty of power. Will I own another chevy no. Many of people are have them with no problems though. One major problem that is noted though is they have no lift pumps in the fuel tank. There is a lift pump mounted on the back of the cp3 pump that has to "suck" the fuel from the tank and if you get the least amount of gelling happening, they will go into limp mode and you will be sitting along the road till you get some additive in them. they do make aftermarket pumps, heaters and filters (like a fass system), but some dealers will look at that as modification and try to deny warranty because of it. My chevy gets about 14 empty and 11 with the goosneck loaded.

Well I had one 07 chevy. Ended up going through arbitration because it kept throwing low fuel rail pressure code. They put a new pressure sensor, fuel filter, fuel filter housing, cp3 pump etc etc, about everything on that truck. They never got it right. Chevy kept saying give us another chance to fix it. While my 40k dollar truck was in the shop they graciously gave me a rent a CAR or a delta Oldsmobile 88 as a loaner to drive. No joke they could not nor would they give me a truck as a loner. Cant do much work with a car. Well long story short the arbitrator decided to give me my money back for that truck - .65 cents a mile and no joke chevy through all the trips to the dealer and the tech actually driving the truck home "to try to diagnose the problem" they put on over 2000 miles. I had to eat the mileage, tax title license, and the bed liner. I ended up losing a big chunk of change. Part of the arbitration was I had to buy another 07 chevrolet. This 07 chevy has let me down twice. Both times, I had my goosneck dump trailer on the truck. The wrecker they sent to pick the truck up both times was a joke. Both times they sent a rollback flatbed and it would not fit my truck (my truck is a crew cab 8 ft box, and wont fit on 19ft beds that most wreckers have. So they had to call someone else, they sent a conventional wrecker that just picks up the front wheels. Well, they couldn't tow my truck with the gooseneck on. Both times I was left straded on the side of the road with my goosneck trailer. Luckily I had a friend come and get my trailer or it would have had to sit or wait for the police to find a way to tow it. Oh yeah and both times The new 07 broke down was on a sunday, and it is up to the dealer to get you a rental car or arrange for a rental so I was sol until monday. I realize most automakers would have done the same thing ford dodge etc. Most automakers would have not provided me with a truck, most would have said well tow our vehicle in but your on your own with the trailer. My question though is what if it would have been my wife stranded on the side of the road hundreds of miles away with horses? Then what? tow the truck and leave the trailer on the side of the road with the horses? Ill admit when the truck is running they are great. It runs nice tows great, plenty of power. Will I own another chevy no. Many of people are have them with no problems though. One major problem that is noted though is they have no lift pumps in the fuel tank. There is a lift pump mounted on the back of the cp3 pump that has to "suck" the fuel from the tank and if you get the least amount of gelling happening, they will go into limp mode and you will be sitting along the road till you get some additive in them. they do make aftermarket pumps, heaters and filters (like a fass system), but some dealers will look at that as modification and try to deny warranty because of it. My chevy gets about 14 empty and 11 with the goosneck loaded.

I would have taken that 07 straight to some place else to trade or sold it outright.

I have done my time with domestic vehicles...won't do it again!
I am aware that no mass produced product is perfect, but I have 2 imports with well over 200K on them and both have been POUNDED!!! One is a daily driver and another is designated go to. While neither will tow a 5th wheel or a huge load, they are both supremly reliable. My next full size will be a Tundra...my only misgiving is the lack of a manual gear box and the push button 4x4. Call me old school but when I throw a lever, I know the SOB is engaged...heck, I would even do without the auto hubs if it was a cheaper conversion!

Flame away guys! Sorry for the high jack!

The oil changes aren't too bad if you do them yourself. I've got a F-350 w/7.3and it costs about $45. If you've ever looked at the internals of a ford, chevy and cummins diesel engine, you would want a cummins. In my experience, the dodge trucks fall apart around the drivetrain though. If they only made a ford f350 with a 12V cummins and allison transmission, you could have the perfect diesel truck.

I have done my time with domestic vehicles...won't do it again!
I am aware that no mass produced product is perfect, but I have 2 imports with well over 200K on them and both have been POUNDED!!! One is a daily driver and another is designated go to. While neither will tow a 5th wheel or a huge load, they are both supremly reliable. My next full size will be a Tundra...my only misgiving is the lack of a manual gear box and the push button 4x4. Call me old school but when I throw a lever, I know the SOB is engaged...heck, I would even do without the auto hubs if it was a cheaper conversion!
I don't see the apples to apples here. When Japan starts selling real full size trucks (not Tundras with shirt and ties driving them to work) that are seen on the highways day in day out all loaded down with everything under the sun plus a trailer in tow and do it better will I believe. In this area the Tundras I see are just another yuppy truck parked on a 30' driveway in the middle of a housing development. I want to see one on the farm all loaded to the gills everyday in the field towing 2-3xs what it should into the mill and even at rest its got 4,000lbs of tools and gear on it. Then we will see what they are made of!

I love diesels, but your not really saving anything by buying one. First, you gotta pay for the diesel option. Then, oil changes are rather high. Plus more frequent filter changes. The fuel savings is not that much, especially now that diesel is average 35-40 cents higher per gallon, which means for every 20 gallons of diesel, you coulda bought 5 more gallons of gas. If something breaks, its a whole lot more expensivefor parts, plus it takes more than average joe mechanic to work on today's diesels. If your not strictly heavy duty towing 24/7 i'd skip the diesel. I work with a guy that pulls a lot of heavy loads with a 6.0 2500 gas burner, and he loves it. Between his weekend horse pulling, and weekly work commute, he averages 14.5MPG. My yukon has the 6.0 325hp, but i haven't towed much with it.

I respectfully disagree on almost everything.

Price is higher new and used, but can be sold for the same amount more when it's time.

Oil changes are null in my experience (Used to change 5 quarts every 3K, now I change 11 quarts every 7.5K).

Apples to apples my V10 Dodge dually got 8-10mpg and my CTD Dodge dually gets 16-17mpg, clearly making up for even a 25% higher fuel cost (and right now diesel is the same as reg here).

Rest of the truck is pretty much the same so only if something breaks in the engine/fuel system could it be considered more costly. Even then, when the gas engine needs rebuild at 150K, the diesel is just getting comfy. And today's diesel is no harder to work on than any other today's vehicle.

Not even worth talking about towing. There simply isn't comparison.

Oh, and with a diesel you can build insane power for a fraction of the cost to add HP to a gasser.

Just sayin... :D

Well, unless you buy a Ford diesel. Then you're just asking for a river of tears... :hmm3grin2orange:

(kidding)

I respectfully disagree on almost everything.

Price is higher new and used, but can be sold for the same amount more when it's time.

Oil changes are null in my experience (Used to change 5 quarts every 3K, now I change 11 quarts every 7.5K).

Apples to apples my V10 Dodge dually got 8-10mpg and my CTD Dodge dually gets 16-17mpg, clearly making up for even a 25% higher fuel cost (and right now diesel is the same as reg here).

Rest of the truck is pretty much the same so only if something breaks in the engine/fuel system could it be considered more costly. Even then, when the gas engine needs rebuild at 150K, the diesel is just getting comfy. And today's diesel is no harder to work on than any other today's vehicle.

Not even worth talking about towing. There simply isn't comparison.

Oh, and with a diesel you can build insane power for a fraction of the cost to add HP to a gasser.

Just sayin... :D

I was talkin stock to stock comparison. And not a v10, caust chevy ain't got one. I was comparing the duramax to the 6.0, where gas mileage is not that much different. Of course you get more power with a diesel, but is it worth it? Like i said, I only see it as worth it if you are a big time hauler. Very heavy loads all the time. And the 7500 mile oil changes are up to you, but if you do it every 4000, the cost is an issue. 150K is nothing on a gas burner. Chevy LS based motors are long life motors, even in rough environments. 150k is nothing. 150k is nothing on a diesel also, but is is something on glow plugs, cam sensors, crank sensors, and other aggravating things.

...I was comparing the duramax to the 6.0, where gas mileage is not that much different...

I would disagree with that. A good friend of ours bought a 2004 EC/SB with the 6.0 the year after we got our DMax. Empty, they usually got pretty close (though usually a little lower) to ours, but loaded was a whole different story. We both pulled horse trailers on a ~600 mile round trip once following each other. For fun, we pulled across the scales at a truck stop to see what each rig weighed, and we were about 700 pounds heavier and our trailer is taller so more wind resistance. I averaged something like 14 and a half, and they averaged just a shade over 10.

I agree if it's just a daily driver, the mileage difference isn't significant (though the resale value is), but if you're going to haul at all, the diesel will pay for itself in the long run.

I would disagree with that. A good friend of ours bought a 2004 EC/SB with the 6.0 the year after we got our DMax. Empty, they usually got pretty close (though usually a little lower) to ours, but loaded was a whole different story. We both pulled horse trailers on a ~600 mile round trip once following each other. For fun, we pulled across the scales at a truck stop to see what each rig weighed, and we were about 700 pounds heavier and our trailer is taller so more wind resistance. I averaged something like 14 and a half, and they averaged just a shade over 10.

I agree if it's just a daily driver, the mileage difference isn't significant (though the resale value is), but if you're going to haul at all, the diesel will pay for itself in the long run.

Well here, diesel is about 30 cents more per gallon. And on a 30 gallon tank, thats 9 bucks more per fillup. So if you went 300 miles on the tank with the gasser, and 430 miles with the diesel, you'd have to add about 13 gallons to the gasser to keep up. thats about 20 more bucks. So, your 11 dollars ahead with the diesel. Round about anyway. How much did that diesel option cost? Someone said about 8 grand. That means 727 tanks of gas to make up the difference on cost. Thats a lot of cost to be making it up on fuel savings. Plus the extra 5-6 quarts of oil every change....All im sayin is... diesel is an option, not the way to go. Its for those that really need/can afford it. Cause anything you do with the diesel can be done with the gasser, just a little slower.

Well here, diesel is about 30 cents more per gallon. And on a 30 gallon tank, thats 9 bucks more per fillup. So if you went 300 miles on the tank with the gasser, and 430 miles with the diesel, you'd have to add about 13 gallons to the gasser to keep up. thats about 20 more bucks. So, your 11 dollars ahead with the diesel. Round about anyway. How much did that diesel option cost? Someone said about 8 grand. That means 727 tanks of gas to make up the difference on cost. Thats a lot of cost to be making it up on fuel savings. Plus the extra 5-6 quarts of oil every change....All im sayin is... diesel is an option, not the way to go. Its for those that really need/can afford it. Cause anything you do with the diesel can be done with the gasser, just a little slower.
Matt, thinks for doing the math for me. What you said has been my point for years now. For the average person the payback isn't there. Thats why I bought a set of Yukon gears (4:56) for my truck thats is paid for and only cost 18K in 02. That same truck today would be 35-40K. My guess is I'll get along just fine with my little 350 chevy and the 4:56 gears. Just like they did years ago before diesels came on the seen.

I went and tried a 6.6L GM and the power was unreal, I drove down a long stretch and turned half way on a paved turnabout and when I left I put it to the floor to see what it can do and well I almost made my 10 yo go in his pants because I was going across this three lane road sideways with the tires screaming and by the time I realized what was going on I was crossing the second lane and headed for the ditch on the other side [ sideways ] this changed my opinion on diesels forever I'm glad I tried that truck that day.
That's the first time I ever heard my son scream like a girl, He had his hand on the door handle and his other on the middle console and he was lifting himself as he was screaming DAAAAAAAAAAD this image will never be forgotten.

I went and tried a 6.6L GM and the power was unreal, I drove down a long stretch and turned half way on a paved turnabout and when I left I put it to the floor to see what it can do and well I almost made my 10 yo go in his pants because I was going across this three lane road sideways with the tires screaming and by the time I realized what was going on I was crossing the second lane and headed for the ditch on the other side [ sideways ] this changed my opinion on diesels forever I'm glad I tried that truck that day.
That's the first time I ever heard my son scream like a girl, He had his hand on the door handle and his other on the middle console and he was lifting himself as he was screaming DAAAAAAAAAAD this image will never be forgotten.

Sounds like its got either a chip or a tuner in it... Stock trucks don't have that much power.

The only diesel I would stay away from is the Ford, great chassis, but a POS engine. The 6.0 had more problems than Ford could deal with, thats why they are fighting the International Contract in court right now.

The GM's are good all around trucks, injectors seem to be the most common issue with them, but its hit and miss. Maybe if its built on a Friday its got some more problems, who knows. They only lack in the off-road category due to IFS and low ground clearance. Look at the side profile of the GM trucks compared to the Ford or Dodge, the frame hangs down below the rocker panels, while the Dodge and Ford frame is tucked up nice and tight.

The Dodge trucks have the best engine, bar none, thanks to Cummins. The 94-02 trucks have crummy front ends, but can easily be fixed with an upgraded track-bar, and PSC steering box. I've had 4 in this era, 3 12V's, and 1 24V... If I was gonna buy another, it'd be a 12V. The 03+ Common Rail trucks are solid trucks all around. The only issue with the Dodge is the Automatic tranny's. The 03+ aren't bad, and will last a long time in a stock truck, same with all trans for that matter. But if you tune or tweak them, be prepared to spend some money building a trans.

The absolute best combo out there is the 03+ Dodge/Cummins 4x4 with the NV5600, or G56 Trans. It gives you the best off-road ability, best pulling power, most reliability, and best mileage. Plus, if you ever decide to tune the motor, all you need is an upgraded clutch and you're driveline is bulletproof. The 03+ trucks don't have front end issues like the 2nd gen Dodges do.

If I didn't tow pretty much every day I wouldn't bother with a diesel anymore. The price difference in fuel doesn't pay for the increased fuel economy right now.

That being said, I own a 2006 2500HD crew cab long bed with the D-Max and Allison. I tow my rental equipment around with it every day. We haul mini-excavators, bobcats and even a Komatsu D21 dozer around with it on gravel roads and highways. It hasn't given us a lick of trouble in 50,000 miles so far. It's the best starting diesel of the dozen diesels I own. I've had it start without being plugged in for the night all the way down to -30F. Fuel mileage is decent at 18 mpg empty and between 10 and 12 towing depending on the load and the driver. Considering that the gas truck it replaced averaged 10mpg empty and 6mpg towing, the diesel was worth it.

Sounds like its got either a chip or a tuner in it... Stock trucks don't have that much power.
I bet it does. My 04 Duramax has no trouble smoking the tires, and the new ones have 130 more foot-pounds of torque than mine does.

A friend of mine traded his 2004 Duramax for a new 2008. He said it can be downright scary.

Motoroil, I believe that chevy/gmc went for the comfort ride market w/the IFS more so than the others, the ride difference is apples to oranges. No straight axle can compare to the IFS (in respect of ride comfort) but much more durable. Ford finally got away from the twin I beam, now that was J.U.N.K. That is the most thing I dislike about them (gm)the low ground clearance.

Back