60cc Saws the "Best" general purpose saw concept proven over time? Maybe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I know that while the 6100 was selling just over $500 was an excellent deal for a saw that will run right with any other 60cc saw made and in many ways is better. To bad that ship has sailed

Please help me with this. Are you claiming that a 590 or 600 will cut with a 441 and 461?
The claim is "They can be turned into one of the highest performing saws out there"
This is for 600p and 590. Reading between the lines seems to me the Echo 620 with it's presumably more advanced cylinder would be tied or best for most potential in the 60cc options. The rest is clearly hear say.

I have ported a 600. They run very well after mods. However, IMHO, no 60cc saw replaced a good 70cc saw. There's just too much of a leap in the power and torque department. Now, if you're in smaller wood, I can see where it might cut close to the larger saw. However, small wood isn't what the larger saw is for. In 70cc deserving wood, the 600P will never compare. Comparing either saw to a 441C or 461 is just too much of a reach. If you keep this conversation reasonable, and stick to comparing 60cc saws, then yes, they are very comparable in power to other offerings, after mods.

^^^^^This post confirms everything I said. Notice I said "with a 20 inch bar". Although, I was cutting on some 30+ inch Red Fir last week with my MMWS 600p with a 24" bar buried and it didn't slow down much. Soft wood, yes, but it's impressive how it pulls. I watched your vid a long time ago...it's impressive as well:).

Put a 28" on them a re-test.

Well, I haven't had the chance to do that (yet). But here is a vid of Reed's stock 620p WITH factory limiter caps pulling a 27" bar (not completely buried):

Here's a vid of Reed's 620p with a MM and tune...27" bar (buried):

I know my 620p (MM & tune) CAN NOT hang with my MMWS 600p. So one can only assume the ported 600p will pull a 28" bar just fine...at least in soft wood. But I agree, when you get up into the longer bars, the 60cc (even ported) will struggle against the larger displacement saws.

The claim is "They can be turned into one of the highest performing saws out there"
This is for 600p and 590. Reading between the lines seems to me the Echo 620 with it's presumably more advanced cylinder would be tied or best for most potential in the 60cc options. The rest is clearly hear say.

A lot can be done by porting and other mods to (almost) any saw, but that's totally irrelevant to most buyers - as they aren't going to have it done.

Problem is it's cool to show video's of saws making cuts but folks will see what they want to. Hard to draw any real conclusions other than the saw runs really well .. or not. Different wood, bar, Chain, Operator all these things cloud a picture. What I got from all the video is these modern 60cc saws have a lot of capability regardless of brand. All of them either put wood in the truck or a smile on the face of those posting those video's. Good stuff.

My 562 this winter.

And after you send that saw out, paying shipping; and have all those surfaces massaged, you could spend less money just buying a good PS-6100 / MS362 / 562XP 60cc saw...:)

Who said it was JUST about money? What makes you think I want one of those saws? If those saws trip your trigger, more power to ya. I've got exactly $725 into my MMWS 600p and it's worth every penny TO ME regardless of what other saw I could have bought for the same money.

I love the simplicity of the Echo's...NO strato or auto tune serves me just fine. Simplicity = reliability & longevity more times than not.

Who said it was JUST about money? What makes you think I want one of those saws? If those saws trip your trigger, more power to ya. I've got exactly $725 into my MMWS 600p and it's worth every penny TO ME regardless of what other saw I could have bought for the same money.

I love the simplicity of the Echo's...NO strato or auto tune serves me just fine. Simplicity = reliability & longevity more times than not.

Everything isn't always about you as others are also engaged in the conersation....but that's ok. Like you said what ever trips your trigger. You seem so quick to want to dig in with confrontation. Chill...you have what you like and they are great saws, and you are a great evangelist for them. Guess what. I have what I want as well. Definitly would buy them all over again or in the case of the 562..build it. They are great saws too. Out of curiosity a 6100 will end up in the fold. Also a good saw. Take all that angst and push harder on your modded saw....lol make a video and we will watch...some might even be swayed...all will be entertained. Enjoyed the noodling video .. most impressed by all the noodles piling up and not jamming wadding up in the cover!

( And that little video shows a real simple saw that I have elbow grease and maybe $150 in spank a tweaked by me 562 that I have maybe $400 invested. Combined they have cost me less than $600 total dollars. If I was a jerk pushing the bang per buck issue, I would point out both would probably spank a 590 tweaked or not. But it doesn't matter as that's neither constructive or even relevant for a variety of reasons including one isn't 60cc's. And that's assuming a person can really make that assessment with simple video..but I enjoy them both for different reasons.. Just be thankful, as I am; that we both have saws that we enjoy & do what's required for our respective situations.)

Latest posts

Back