60cc Saws the "Best" general purpose saw concept proven over time? Maybe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember the disassembled pictures of the Husqvarna new top handle t540 had a lot of space around a crank with stuffers. It sure looked to me some of that was used for flow path for fuel mixture to get out of the crank cavity.
If you fill in the part of the part of the counterweight that isn't a complete disk you can take a lot of volume out of the case. You'd need to be careful you didn't add it back in by adding clearance between the counterweight and the case side - it wouldn't take much to cancel out any gains.

I suspect this is why transfer entrances are now centered with the rod slot, as it makes it easier for the air to access it in a tight case.

Walt this is a great thread IMHO.

This passed week I was running my Dolmar 421, and it made me start thinking about how much can really be done with a smaller saw, and how out of reality many here are. It really comes down to what the individual not only needs, based on wheat he's cutting, but also what he/she can handle. Lets me be curt. Most people that frequent this forum are not living in reality when it comes to what most need, and are willing to spend on a chainsaw, and how little most care about saws. With a good chain a 40cc/50cc can cut more wood than most here would acknowledged, and that's exactly what most do. Sure if you're in the know, a good 60cc saw is probably the logical choice for general work. However it's hard for most to get their head around spending more than $200 on a saw, let alone $500 or more.

So yes 60cc is a sweet spot for sure, but it's still out of most peoples price range, even the reasonably priced 555 IMHO. To me that's where small yet capable saws like the 421 comes into play.

All the old stand byes are in the 54-64cc range so 60cc must be the sweet spot.

Scientific cc breakdown-

22-38 wee ones
39-53 weirdos
54-65 sweet spot
66-75 more weirdos
76-84 slightly bigger weirdos
85-97 yeah, uh huh
98+ F!!! Yeah, uh huh
138+ Hey hold the other end up, yeah by that little handle! No, you'll be fine. Maybe don't stand like that,... Off to the side. Never mind, the chain does not go that fast anyway. Noth'n, you'll be fine.

This passed week I was running my Dolmare 421, and it made me start thinking about how much can really be done with a smaller saw, and how out of reality many here are. It really comes down to what the individual not only needs, based on wheat he's cutting, but also what he/she can handle. Lets me be curt. Most people that frequent this forum are not living in reality when it comes to what most need, and are willing to spend on a chainsaw, and how little most care about saws. With a good chain a 40cc/50cc can cut more wood than most here would acknowledged, and that's exactly what most do. Sure if you're in the know, a good 60cc saw is probably the logical choice for general work. However it's hard for most to get their head around spending more than $200 on a saw, let alone $500 or more.

So yes 60cc is a sweet spot for sure, but it's still out of most peoples price range, even the reasonably priced 555 IMHO. To me that's where small yet capable saws like the 421 comes into play.
Most people around here that I know that have a " big saw", think the farm boss is the greatest saw ever made.

I remember the disassembled pictures of the Husqvarna new top handle t540 had a lot of space around a crank with stuffers. It sure looked to me some of that was used for flow path for fuel mixture to get out of the crank cavity.

As far as I know, it mainly is about reducing the space in the crank area, upping the crank-case compression.

This passed week I was running my Dolmare 421, and it made me start thinking about how much can really be done with a smaller saw, and how out of reality many here are. It really comes down to what the individual not only needs, based on wheat he's cutting, but also what he/she can handle. Lets me be curt. Most people that frequent this forum are not living in reality when it comes to what most need, and are willing to spend on a chainsaw, and how little most care about saws. With a good chain a 40cc/50cc can cut more wood than most here would acknowledged, and that's exactly what most do. Sure if you're in the know, a good 60cc saw is probably the logical choice for general work. However it's hard for most to get their head around spending more than $200 on a saw, let alone $500 or more.

Surely, but "which saw" threads on saw forums tends to be about the "best" in some way - and then such thinking becomes irrelevant....

I completely agree!!

Aaaaand to back up your point, this is from the neighbor's winter jeep ride last Saturday.

This nice sized Spruce was across the trail. My buddy had along an old Mac top handle and that little rascal did AWESOME. We had the trail cleared and open in less that 20 minutes.

I am seriously wanting a Dolmar 421 and that's what I was actually hunting for when I got my 510.

I got my Contra lightning running today, its 106cc's and near 60year old. Rebuild the Tilly HL, found some fuel line as thick as my finger, put a new spark pug boot and removed a few pound of oily pitch (old saw protective coating). Fired her up with some carb cleaner and got the big ol girl thumping. At this particular moment I really did not care for the latest 60cc saw made from plastic, the hard nose 25" solid bar and loop of 1/2inch may way more than a 562 but that did not matter one bit. Throttle reponse was awesome after a little tuning, my contra I brought home from the rubbish tip is my new favourite saw.:p

When I was a kid we had one saw for cleaning up the inevitable deadfall and firewood - it was a Craftsman-branded 60cc Roper with an 18" bar. And I have to say that it was the idea all-around saw, and I think 18" is the best length bar for such general purpose use.

These days though, with a narrower kerf chain and higher rpm I think 40 to 45cc or so is about equivalent.

I really like lo pro chain for the narrow kerf, and it takes a lot less power/displacement to run it. I suspect that one of the reasons some are using larger displacement saws is that they only run full 3/8, and so have a different idea of how big a saw is needed for a given bar length.

I really like lo pro chain for the narrow kerf, and it takes a lot less power/displacement to run it. I suspect that one of the reasons some are using larger displacement saws is that they only run full 3/8, and so have a different idea of how big a saw is needed for a given bar length.

There is some truth in that, but a too narrow kerf is a disadvantage in many situations, including felling.

Ideally it isn't really a matter of one or the other, but both.

As far as I know, it mainly is about reducing the space in the crank area, upping the crank-case compression.
Yes mainly that is it. I have seen in other two cycle stuff the crank gets stuffed but then the carburetor and reed cage gets pushed farther away. I suspect if the crankcase volume is the same for 560/562/555 something has been either optimized for one or there is a compromise.

What is best for me, someone who cuts everything small to about 12 feet long and makes brush piles as opposed to those who just leave in place smaller than is of value to them. That video talks of making the field suitable for the haybine but then when they finally go and cut it appears they are working in an area the haybine goes around and are harvesting firewood for use at the coffee pot spot.

Yes mainly that is it. I have seen in other two cycle stuff the crank gets stuffed but then the carburetor and reed cage gets pushed farther away. I suspect if the crankcase volume is the same for 560/562/555 something has been either optimized for one or there is a compromise.

I assume it is optimized for the 560/2260/562 - and as the case assy is the same for the 2258 and 2260, I assume it is for the 555 and 560 as well (minus color).

There is some truth in that, but a too narrow kerf is a disadvantage in many situations, including felling.
I don't really fell much, usually damaged or dead stuff around my property for firewood - nevertheless I don't see the disadvantage of a narrower kerf bar for felling, and often fell with 3/8 lo pro. I'm missing how it would be a problem in concept - maybe if the bar is too flexible? Otherwise, a narrower kerf chain produces less material to remove from the cut, and as far as pinching the gap between bar and chain is not all that much different - there's very little angle that the tree can rock back without pinching with any B&C.

Dropped and bucked a couple of dead 15" maples this weekend with my latest ported plastic 42cc Poulan using 3/8 lo pro. Zipped right through quick as can be, no fuss at all. That's most of what I use a saw for.

I don't really fell much, usually damaged or dead stuff around my property for firewood - nevertheless I don't see the disadvantage of a narrower kerf bar for felling, and often fell with 3/8 lo pro. I'm missing how it would be a problem in concept - maybe if the bar is too flexible? Otherwise, a narrower kerf chain produces less material to remove from the cut, and as far as pinching the gap between bar and chain is not all that much different - there's very little angle that the tree can rock back without pinching with any B&C.

Dropped and bucked a couple of dead 15" maples this weekend with my latest ported plastic 42cc Poulan using 3/8 lo pro. Zipped right through quick as can be, no fuss at all. That's most of what I use a saw for.

It isn't much of an issue if you can fell the tree in the natural direction of fall - but it is as soon as you need wedges etc. to make it fall in the desired direction.

When I set out to buy a new saw for my then 1 saw plan, I chose the 357xp. I have never regretted that decision not once. I use the 357 very frequently, probably the most frequently of the saws I own that are currently running.

I have since added a few more, both larger and smaller, but dang if my modded 357 isn't a jack of just about all trades.

IMHO a good 60cc is a very useful saw, particularly for the guy just starting out who can only swing the cost of buying one saw at a time.

The older I get, the smaller my favorite saw gets ;)

Heading in that direction too .
The younger fellows can do the huge stuff , I'll buck the nice to handle sizes :D
I traded that 390 in my avatar back into the dealer , 562 on the way .
Biggest I have now is a 576 , all I'll rarely need but there if I do .

Ran my 555 all day on Friday and it was awesome. 60cc is a great class for general use. Chewed through 25" oak, nimble enough to move around in the woods with (even when full off fluids), and really seemed to run stonger as the day went on. I could have done the same work with my old 40cc husky but I wouldn't have had a smile on my face like I did with the 555 buried in some of the bigger stuff.

Back