60cc Saws the "Best" general purpose saw concept proven over time? Maybe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll stick to the lightest/cheapest saw possible to get the job done then. For me it's the Stihl MS390. At 64cc's and 13 lbs, it gets the job done cheapest,period. Flame away, but at having run several over many years, you're wasting your time. Quality speaks volumes.

I'll use my Dolmar 7910. Same weight as a 6400 in a 79 cc saw and just about run any bar I want. I think this is the most over looked saw for a 1 saw plan.

I have the Makita 6421, not (yet) converted to 79cc. It's definitely a solid pro saw.

As a 79cc saw the power-to-weight ratio is great.

As a 64cc saw the power-to-weight ratio isn't so good. If someone pretty much only needs a 60cc class saw, there are lighter choices that will do the same work. OTOH a young and/or strong guy might consider the build quality worth the extra weight.

I'll stick to the lightest/cheapest saw possible to get the job done then. For me it's the Stihl MS390. At 64cc's and 13 lbs, it gets the job done cheapest,period. Flame away, but at having run several over many years, you're wasting your time. Quality speaks volumes.
If cheapest is what you're into, that's cool!

If I recall correctly, one gear is thicker than the other. I was trying to do a swap to get my logger buddies 562 up and running quickly. I loaned him my 2260 and he dropped a log on it.:omg: So he bought me a new tank assemble and all is good.

I have the Makita 6421, not (yet) converted to 79cc. It's definitely a solid pro saw.

As a 79cc saw the power-to-weight ratio is great.

As a 64cc saw the power-to-weight ratio isn't so good. If someone pretty much only needs a 60cc class saw, there are lighter choices that will do the same work. OTOH a young and/or strong guy might consider the build quality worth the extra weight.
I prefer my PS-6400 over my PS-7900 most of the times, my PS-6400 is also my main go-to-saw for a decade now.

With both wearing a 20" 3/8" B&C setup and identical chains, the PS-7900's higher power goes mostly unused - that been said the PS-6400 handles a 20" setup extremely well.
I like using my PS-7900 just for the fun of it.

I don't find the PS-6400/7900 saws to be heavy, though I process cast iron on a daily basis thus I consider 13-15lbs as kids play!

P.S.:
I own a spare OEM PS-7900 P&C kit, but I have no intentions to turn my PS-6400 into a PS-7900 - I love her the way she is!

I prefer my PS-6400 over my PS-7900 most of the times, my PS-6400 is also my main go-to-saw for a decade now.

With both wearing a 20" 3/8" B&C setup and identical chains, the PS-7900's higher power goes mostly unused - that been said the PS-6400 handles a 20" setup extremely well.
I like using my PS-7900 just for the fun of it.

I don't find the PS-6400/7900 saws to be heavy, though I process cast iron on a daily basis thus I consider 13-15lbs as kids play!

P.S.:
I own a spare OEM PS-7900 P&C kit, but I have no intentions to turn my PS-6400 into a PS-7900 - I love her the way she is!

The 6400/6421 is a solid pro saw, no doubt. I would never tell someone not to consider one.

But if weight were a major consideration in their purchase decision, there are other pro-grade 60cc class saws that will do the same work and be less tiring.

Cutting conditions are a factor. I can grab the 6421 and walk across the street to help my neighbor by making a few cuts because he doesn't own a large enough saw, no problem. I'd need to be in much better shape (and younger wouldn't hurt :D) to carry the 6421 deep into the woods and cut with it all day, then carry it back out.

"Best General Purpose"

This phrase isn't quite an oxymoron, but it just about is.

Are 60cc saws best for milling? No.
Are they best for ladder or tree work? No.
Are they best for bucking over 16"? No.

Can they do all the things mentioned, and do them well? Yes.

For almost any task, there is a better saw.

Bucking 8-14" softwood? Perhaps the best tool available. Add a hike of a few miles and maybe the range changes to 10-18" or more. (Hopefully you all can understand why.)

Driving around all day, with a 0% chance of cutting something over 30", and cutting up camp firewood after clearing the road of a few logs? 60cc may just be the indisputable king.

"Best General Purpose"

This phrase isn't quite an oxymoron, but it just about is.

Are 60cc saws best for milling? No.
Are they best for ladder or tree work? No.
Are they best for bucking over 16"? No.

Can they do all the things mentioned, and do them well? Yes.

For almost any task, there is a better saw.

Bucking 8-14" softwood? Perhaps the best tool available. Add a hike of a few miles and maybe the range changes to 10-18" or more. (Hopefully you all can understand why.)

Driving around all day, with a 0% chance of cutting something over 30", and cutting up camp firewood after clearing the road of a few logs? 60cc may just be the indisputable king.
Different strokes fer different folks.

Around here a 60cc saw is the best saw for logging and firewood.

Different strokes fer different folks.

Around here a 60cc saw is the best saw for logging and firewood.

Fair enough. Around here it seems the loggers have seen 70cc and 32" as the minimum for years.

It does seem that in a softwood second growth industry (almost all of Oregon logging) there would be guys jumping to the 562. Maybe they are.

Here in Maine I know quite a few that run the 562XP's with 25" bars and that is all they need. Most second growth here is not much bigger then 28"

... I'd need to be in much better shape (and younger wouldn't hurt :D) to carry the 6421 deep into the woods and cut with it all day, then carry it back out.
I use my PS-6400 for bush clearing rather then my 40cc!
I can't justify it other then the fact that she's just faster at it, the moment the 3/8" chisel chain touches the hazel or hornbeam it's already through it.
The additional reach of the bar also helps keeping safer distance from wild rose and accacia thorns.
As said, the PS-6400 is my undisputable go-to-saw! :)

How is a 6100 over "the limit "
I had the same thought! :confused:
I got the impression that the PS-6100 is spot on what users wish the PS-6400 to be.
I saw a Makita version of the PS-6100 at a local shop and I was surprised how much more compact it is compared to the PS-6400!

Latest posts

Back