60cc Saws the "Best" general purpose saw concept proven over time? Maybe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How are they "different"?

It may be because the 2260 comes with a small spline drum, and the 562 with a standard spline one? At least it is that way over here.

As I recall it, one part in the oiler is different as well, likely because the 562 needs a higher output, as it is "rated" for longer bars.

"Best General Purpose"

This phrase isn't quite an oxymoron, but it just about is.

Are 60cc saws best for milling? No.
Are they best for ladder or tree work? No.
Are they best for bucking over 16"? No.

Can they do all the things mentioned, and do them well? Yes.

For almost any task, there is a better saw.

Bucking 8-14" softwood? Perhaps the best tool available. Add a hike of a few miles and maybe the range changes to 10-18" or more. (Hopefully you all can understand why.)

Driving around all day, with a 0% chance of cutting something over 30", and cutting up camp firewood after clearing the road of a few logs? 60cc may just be the indisputable king.

Of course, there will be regardless which size you compare to "everything else"! :D

I agree with @SawTroll , chainsaws aren't cars or motorcycles which are regulated by the government wanting taxes!

I see chainsaw cc classes as half up half down, or as @SawTroll suggested...
..., and some surely will say 55.0 to 64.9cc...
... for a 60cc class saw.

That isn't because the 6100 is particularly compact, but because the 6400 really is a 79cc saw with a 64cc engine.
I realize that, but with my limited chainsaw knowledge and experience I was fairly surprised how much "smaller" the PS-6100 looked and felt compared to my Dolmar PS-6400 to which I got used to throughout the last decade. ;)

It may be because the 2260 comes with a small spline drum, and the 562 with a standard spline one? At least it is that way over here.

As I recall it, one part in the oiler is different as well, likely because the 562 needs a higher output, as it is "rated" for longer bars.
My 2260 came with a standard spline drum and my 2253 came with a small. They will interchange.

I think the big problem is indecision. Now, I'm not sure which I should buy in the 60cc class. A dolmar or makita, the 61cc or the 64cc. :crazy:
Any of them would both be overkill, and underkill for practical purposes.

In terms of ***** and giggles, probably a 61cc would be more practical, more fuel efficient, and lighter weight. And it'd blast wood chips all over the place pretty good too. ;)

For something of actual regular use, I'd need something REALLY hard to find, like a 15-20 foot gasoline powered pole saw. Probably would cost $900 or something crazy for that extra little bit of reach.

My 2260 came with a standard spline drum and my 2253 came with a small. They will interchange.

OK, when you say it, I recall I have heard that before. ;)

Then I also recall that the part number for the gear is different for the 562 than for the 560, and assume it either is because of the longer crank (that I don't understand why is longer) of the 562, or because the oiler is slightly different (or both)...

Any video's of a Dolmar 6100?? And now the Husqvarna 465 creeps into the picture as well....
IMHO, I would honestly say the 465 doesn't come into the picture for anyone who does their homework. Will the 465 make a good firewood saw? no doubt! The problem is the fact for less money, you can pick up a saw like the cs-590, which is likely one reason the 465 even exists.

The 465 was a good call on Husqvarna part, in moving to a more advanced top of the line homeowner saw. However as of now, Echo saws are simply less complex and have superior overall quality, when compared to anything Husqvarna or Stihl has in this category. The question with the likes of Echo, is how long can they get away with not moving on to strato engine designs?

Stihl isn't making the best choices at the moment with opening all the new hardware store type dealers and at the same time roiling over established professional dealers. Will they gain some sales? Sure, but at what cost?

IMHO, I would honestly say the 465 doesn't come into the picture for anyone who does their homework. Will the 465 make a good firewood saw? no doubt! The problem is the fact for less money, you can pick up a saw like the cs-590, which is likely one reason the 465 even exists.
I consider the 590 one of the best values in the world of chainsaws. However, the 465 sports almost a half horse extra so I'd say it does have it's own niche.

I must be a weirdo. I've been shopping for a smaller saw as a backup for my MS461. After looking at the weights and weight to power ratio of 60cc saws, I'm just going to buy a second 461 and a 20" lightweight bar for small firewood whacking duty. Aside from price, I don't see the appeal of a 60cc saw. Maybe I haven't packed my 461 up enough hills yet to be smart. The only appreciable weight benefit I see to going smaller appears in the 40cc class saws where you're in to a 10lb powerhead versus 14-15.

I will now yield the soapbox to find out why I am so wrong...
I agree entirely. A 70cc saw makes way more power than a 60cc saw, and a 50cc saw is way smaller and lighter. I'll opt for a 50cc or 70cc every time. I'm becoming very fond of my MS241 though.

I consider the 590 one of the best values in the world of chainsaws. However, the 465 sports almost a half horse extra so I'd say it does have it's own niche.

A 465 really can't be compared to a 590 from a value perspective. The MSRP on the 465 is $549.95. The MSRP on the 590 is $399 and can be bought at Home Depot for $360 with the 10% military discount. At that price, the 465 is $190 more...not even comparable. And from a power perspective: It is only a guess but if a person were to MM and tune the 590, I would guess that the 465 would have a hard time hanging with the 590 even though the Husky "sports almost a half horse extra". Now if a person isn't into basic mods then the 465 (with auto tune) may be worth the extra money.

Some other 465 negatives:

- At 13 lb, 7.2 oz., it's slightly heavier than a cs-590 (13 lb, 3.2 oz.).
- At 64.1cc, it's in a bad place...between a MUCH lighter 50cc, a SLIGHTLY lighter 60cc, and a NOT MUCH heavier 70cc.
- It comes standard with .058 ga. and previous model 460 Ranchers ran .050. So if you are "upgrading" to a 465, you can't use those extra chains.

It seems Husqvarna's response to the Echo cs-590's strong sales was to fatten up the 460 Rancher. The 465 has more displacement, is heavier, and cost $40 more than the previous model 460. Some guys will look at the 465 as they are comparing saws and think they got to have one because it's bigger, better, and more powerful than the competition. There's no way I would choose a 465 over a 590 but that has more to do with my dislike of anything "auto tune". That and the fact that a MM & tune is an easy task on the 590.

Waiting for SawTroll to show up and rip my post to shreds:).

Back