60cc Saws the "Best" general purpose saw concept proven over time? Maybe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
When you have a few saws to choose from, and your going to have a day of firewood hunting or general farm cleanup...what saws do YOU put in the truck??

Coincidently that's what happened this weekend and BOTH Spike60 and I selected 60cc saws. NOT planned, we did discuss the job but let the saw selection drift. A good lead into a conversation / (argument) about what's the best "General Purpose" Farm & Firewood saw?? A video conversation was the results.

SO The best general purpose / firewood saw as seen through the eye's of Husqvarna/Jonsered enthusiasts:

(Acknowledging if you are a Stihl/Echo/Dolmar or whatever fan, you can substitute the 60cc model of your chosen brand into the appropriate spots)

A 50cc saw is what I use most of the time. Next step is a 70cc saw, but I can understand why some might choose a 60cc saw over a 50cc or 70cc. 60 Cc is a ok allround saw, but for me 50cc is perfect.

I would take a ported 50cc and then a 70cc and/or 90cc.

If your a hammer...everything looks like a nail! Of course your built 50's run like OEM 60's...so essentially we agree right? At least on the power side of the decision. :) Doubt even you would want to carry a 80/90 cc saw around doing hedgerow clean up. I go back and forth between the tweaked 372 w/ Sugi B&C vs. a 60cc saw. For now trying to live with the 60cc class....the 70cc class sits in the truck still as you could probably see. I've run the tweaked 50's for a long time....finally decided with the 555 60cc is a better place to be here. Different strokes. Of course this can be a daily decision as 2 or 3 times a week until hay season I'll be up cutting something...daily in the fall until snow flies.

Since Husky made a dedicated chassis for their 60cc 555/562xp, they put this class of saw back on the agenda for a pro cutters choice. A 60cc saw should not be lumped with an 80cc tank/frame/chassis ruining its power to wieght ratio often making it the worst option in its series. Others have followed like Dolmar not sharing its 6400/7300/7900 platform and making a dedicated 6100. That is the real game changer for 60cc saws, no longer are they a held back and are now allowed to shine in a new light.

^-^-^- Dolmar PS-6100 seems to be a good choice. -^-^-^

I don't have one, so I use my PS-6400 as a favorite all-rounder saw - if I want a little more fun I use her big sister the PS-7900.

I know that the PS-6400 is being frowned upon as being to heavy for a 60cc saw, I say it's a matter of opinion and preference.

The Echo CS-590 is a bit on the heavy side too (compare heavy today against saws from years ago) compared to others but I have a friend that has one and he's a commercial firewood cutter , that saw sees a lot of use and he loves it .
No mods done to it....yet . I've recommended opening the muffler up .
Now a lot of guys will blow the CS-590 off but I'll tell ya , this saw proves it's a worker and problem free except for the chain tensioner breaking but they have changed that to steel instead of cast .
Will it keep up with a husky or Stihl ? , not likely but it does it's work and the owner is happy .

Back