60cc Saws the "Best" general purpose saw concept proven over time? Maybe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont get the logic that X saw cuts a firewood log a second faster than Y saw..this stuff gets borderline ridiculous.

I agree , the saw is the EASY part..so i use the minimal approach on that task to save my energy for the HARD part....this stuff is funny :laugh:
For cutting one's firewood in this region it simply doesn't require much of a saw. There are still a few larger trees, and I like having my 62cc saw around for pulling 24" & 25" bars when I need to - but that does not happen often. Other than that I'll go for the lightest saw that will do it, and in most cases that's a 40cc saw with a 16" or 18" bar. They use less fuel and take less energy from me, and the time lost in cutting by using a smaller saw varies from zero to irrelevant. I'm a minimalist and always will be.

I'll use my Dolmar 7910. Same weight as a 6400 in a 79 cc saw and just about run any bar I want. I think this is the most over looked saw for a 1 saw plan.

I look at that the other way around. The 6400 is a 64cc saw built on a 79cc platform.

While I can't disagree with that, for 1lb more than a 362 you can have 1.1 more hp out of a 7910. Not to mention the torque and ability to run much longer bar lengths.

Another reason to use a hot 40cc or 50cc :)

Well apparently I missed the whole point of the original question. I thought the op asked which saw; but he asked which saws. Big difference. In that case, I will take my 7910 and my 5105 with a 16" bar and do anything I need to do!!!! And yes, to Brad's point, a hot 50cc saw is hard to beat. Can't wait till the day when I can have my 5105 ported!

For cutting one's firewood in this region it simply doesn't require much of a saw. There are still a few larger trees, and I like having my 62cc saw around for pulling 24" & 25" bars when I need to - but that does not happen often. Other than that I'll go for the lightest saw that will do it, and in most cases that's a 40cc saw with a 16" or 18" bar. They use less fuel and take less energy from me, and the time lost in cutting by using a smaller saw varies from zero to irrelevant. I'm a minimalist and always will be.

Absolutely , 99.9% of the time i go buck logs for firewood i take a 40 and 60cc saw.

My ported 350 gets used 90% of the time. Its stupid cheap to fix if something goes wrong, parts are easy to get, and it cuts just silly fast. :)

Especially for "CAD" types, its tough to beat that 350 series of saw for both fun & work in my very humble opinion. So many options to build, and such a useful saw in so many of the various combinations. Think we want to do a "open" port vs the world video showing even the most basic form of that saw is really useful....AND can be tweaked of course ...:) It's a tough call between the 555 and the pile of 350's around this place... a 350 rides in two of the farm tractors. I would say in those environment where its going to be rough on the saw cosmetics....350's win.

Since the early 90's, a 262xp has cut all my wood. Just recently after contracting this CAD disease I started using a 242xp on the second growth smaller stuff.

Your a fortunate person to have a good 242, they are amazing. Nothing on the market today can match that power out of a 42 cc saw. Not certain the power/weight has been matched either. Amazing saws then, and more so now ! That should be one of those "Holy Grail" saws for the orange collector...

Since Husky made a dedicated chassis for their 60cc 555/562xp, they put this class of saw back on the agenda for a pro cutters choice. A 60cc saw should not be lumped with an 80cc tank/frame/chassis ruining its power to wieght ratio often making it the worst option in its series. Others have followed like Dolmar not sharing its 6400/7300/7900 platform and making a dedicated 6100. That is the real game changer for 60cc saws, no longer are they a held back and are now allowed to shine in a new light.

There is nothing new with dedicated 60cc class chassis, there just have been some exceptions. ;)

Price, and a little power.
Technically the following:

Plastic & air filter
Carb & Ignition The 555 doesn't have "rev boost" & the carb has a different tune.
Crank Shaft doesn't have "stuffers"
555 is lighter because it has a small mount bar vs. the larger "standard" Husqvarna mount the 562 has

The power difference isn't as much as you would think.

Other pro saws in that "family" are the 560xp and 2260, that have the power/performance of the 562xp, but without the weight and bulk penalty of it. ;)

The 560xp isn't sold in the US, but the prettier 2260 is.....

Well apparently I missed the whole point of the original question. I thought the op asked which saw; but he asked which saws. Big difference. In that case, I will take my 7910 and my 5105 with a 16" bar and do anything I need to do!!!! And yes, to Brad's point, a hot 50cc saw is hard to beat. Can't wait till the day when I can have my 5105 ported!

I am sure the OP just meant to start a nice thread, he wasn't asking for advice. :D

Back