61 to 272-clearance questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone need a Chinese 272 top cover? I had ordered this and was going to cobble things together despite the not perfectly aligned pattern. But the color is way off when put next to true Husky orange and my OCD wouldn't let me so we are modifying the 266 cover. This certainly would work for a "working" saw although not suitable for a shelf queen.

I tried to return this and the eBay seller gave me a refund and told me to keep it. So I'll pass it on for the cost of shipping. Otherwise I'll throw it in the Christmas thread.

IMG_5596.JPG

If anyone wants I can put it next to the saw so you can see the difference.

Does anyone need a Chinese 272 top cover? I had ordered this and was going to cobble things together despite the not perfectly aligned pattern. But the color is way off when put next to true Husky orange and my OCD wouldn't let me so we are modifying the 266 cover. This certainly would work for a "working" saw although not suitable for a shelf queen.

I tried to return this and the eBay seller gave me a refund and told me to keep it. So I'll pass it on for the cost of shipping. Otherwise I'll throw it in the Christmas thread.

View attachment 530436

If anyone wants I can put it next to the saw so you can see the difference.
How are you modding the 266 cover?

On the 625, 670, and 61 saws that I have converted to 268's I have only used the new style cases (single piece ign) and the aftermarket 268/272 top cover. On the Jonsered models you can paint the cover black with Krylon plastic paint. Newer style muffler fits as well, with no burning of the plastic

100_7006.JPG

Is there a quick way by looking at the top cover on the 266 to determine.
If it's the old style "2 coil" or the new style?

Now that I know I need to look for a old style one.

I would assume that the Mag side bolt spacing is different?

IMG_4039.JPG

Well..... went out and pulled the recoil cover on my Jonsereds 630 and sure enough, it has the two piece ignition, and is an early style saw.... so a 272xp cylinder will make the air filter cover stick up 1/4 inch or so, according to Spike60.

So, I may be looking for a shorter plug, or modding the cover to let the plug stick through, as well as letting my velocity stack and K&N stick up as well...

Gotta say I'm curious about that "made in Italy" cylinder coming in a farmer tec box from Huztl. Especially with you having to remove a little material to get it to work. It does have the "twin T's" that Tecomec uses. Can you share what you paid for it?

Isn't Tecomec somehow connected to Emak/Efco/Oleomac?

Is there a quick way by looking at the top cover on the 266 to determine.
If it's the old style "2 coil" or the new style?

Now that I know I need to look for a old style one.

I would assume that the Mag side bolt spacing is different?

Studying the 266 IPLs (going up to 1993), it looks like the 266 never got the single piece coil and the new case (nor did the 66). http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/partslist/husqvarna266-1993-01.pdf

The 61 got those (+ numerous other changes, including a larger carb - HS-254) from serial number 1070001 (1991 week 7). The illustration picture still shows the saw as a "black-top", but they may just have used an old picture? There have been signs (not evidence) that some of the changes (mainly the carb) actually happened earlier, but it may well have been about replacement parts. http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/partslist/husqvarna61-1991-03.PDF

I suspect 1991 was the year the production tooling for the old case etc was moved to the TOMOS factory in Slovenia, as production of at least the 266xp and 66 continued there. They may well have continued the production of the old version of the 61 there as well for some markets, as well as the 266 and 66?
This story could well be more complicated as well, as a lot of pieces in the puzzle are missing. Particularly about the 61, the picture is unclear...

This is a twin coil 625 I changed to a 670. There's the gap caused by the taller plug angle. Not ideal, but you can live with it. In this case not a pretty saw at all anyway with the orange Husky tank, but I didn't have a Red tank laying around when I built it. This saw is a member of what I call my "Rat Patrol" saws. Runs sweet though. IMG_1320.JPG

Another bit of info is that we haven't brought up yet is that there are TWO different gray tops for 61's. Husky was still using the gray tops when the single coil saws were introduced. This is a single coil gray top 61. Probably only made them for a year or two before going to the orange tops. So, when e-bay shopping or whatever you can't assume all gray tops will fit the twin coil saws

IMG_1286.JPG

I have a 272 without a decomp. from what I understood they all had them? I believe it was made in 1993.
What was the best carb for this series?

Another bit of info is that we haven't brought up yet is that there are TWO different gray tops for 61's. Husky was still using the gray tops when the single coil saws were introduced. This is a single coil gray top 61. Probably only made them for a year or two before going to the orange tops. So, when e-bay shopping or whatever you can't assume all gray tops will fit the twin coil saws

View attachment 530596

That answers my question about the 61 top covers earlier today I guess?

The part number changed by 1991 week 7 (to fit the new case and maybe more), and then again in the 1993-09 IPL (likely to the orange one) - and then the illustration pictures in the IPLs fit

Wonder if that "Made In Italy" was done for another supplier? Was it done to "fake" a supplier?? I guess what's more important is does it RUN! Video's please. Plenty of out sourcing, cross sourcing, and just plan misleading going on in the AM marketplace. :) That's actually a nice looking part from the pictures. I remember when BMW bought the Italian Husqvarna motorcycle line and then proceeded to have motors build in China and then assembled in Italy.......then KTM bought the brand and a Chinese company bought the rights to several of the old Italian Husqvarna models sold under the SWM brand...what was an Italian brand of dirt bikes & still listed as an Italian company.

I know what you mean with the dirt bike world. I've got a KTM 250 EXC, Yamaha WR250f, and an old Bultaco 350 Alpina in the fleet. Used to do some Enduro racing and scrambles in my younger days now trail riding in the Rockies. The Italian Husqvarnas had really stepped up their game right before KTM group bought them out. Only a couple of their last models used the Kymco motors from Taiwan. I got to ride a TE511 with that motor and it was an impressive machine. China is capable of making very high quality products but so many of the poor knock offs have put a bad taste in many people's mind.

I think Spike 60 was on the right track that my Tecomec cylinder might have been a factory second or blemished. Farmertec likely bought their seconds and re sold them. It all depends how it runs though. The carb bolts showed up so later this week I'll have it back together.

On the 625, 670, and 61 saws that I have converted to 268's I have only used the new style cases (single piece ign) and the aftermarket 268/272 top cover. On the Jonsered models you can paint the cover black with Krylon plastic paint. Newer style muffler fits as well, with no burning of the plastic

View attachment 530439

This a great idea; looks good too. But I'm wondering what air filter you have under that cover. The actual Jonsered filters from the 630/670 are NLA. They are a low profile filter which would fit under the 272 cover. But the 61/266/288 filter should interfere with the air intake tube that's inside the 272 top cover. That tube can be cut or removed to gain some clearance. Another way to go would be to use the cover from a single coil 61 which doesn't have that intake tube.

Those 266/288 filters will also fit under the Jonsered top ccovers.

Earlier I had posted that the Chinese top cover I bought didn't fit the aftermarket top end. Well the 61 style air filter was hitting on the "air horn" aka that round piece that directs air into the 272 style filter. So i removed that and it fits although two of the three holes don't line up. I should have my custom spacer soon for the 266 style top cover and be back in action.

View attachment 530596
AAAAAAAArrrrrrrggggggg!!!!!

This a great idea; looks good too. But I'm wondering what air filter you have under that cover. The actual Jonsered filters from the 630/670 are NLA. They are a low profile filter which would fit under the 272 cover. But the 61/266/288 filter should interfere with the air intake tube that's inside the 272 top cover. That tube can be cut or removed to gain some clearance. Another way to go would be to use the cover from a single coil 61 which doesn't have that intake tube.

Those 266/288 filters will also fit under the Jonsered top ccovers.

Used the 266 (aftermarket) filters 501 80 7105, and had to grind away part if the intake tube that is in the top cover. It works fine and you can still keep the tube in place.

Latest posts

Back