661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, I am. Ash refers to the sulfated ash test.
Don't you ever get sick of being wrong?

Bwalker, you just don't get it do you. You are saying I am wrong and but then agreeing with me. You can’t seem to understand how the sulfated ash test result relates to actual ash content. The test tells you how much ash could be produced by the oil when burned, period. That ash would then either be deposited in the motor or exit out with the exhaust.

If there is another option for what the ash does I would like to hear it!

Bwalker, you just don't get it do you. You are saying I am wrong and but then agreeing with me. You can’t seem to understand how the sulfated ash test result relates to actual ash content. The test tells you how much ash could be produced by the oil when burned, period. That ash would then either be deposited in the motor or exit out with the exhaust.

What don't you understand in regards to ash having zero to do with smoke.. you where correct on where the ash comes from, but you had no idea that ash is a measurement from a bench test..

And many of the additives like Zinc, Calcium have added benefits. If the detergents take care of, or prevent ash buildup it's a win. It really doesn't matter the how much potential ash material is in the oil, what matters is if it solidifies on engine components.

And many of the additives like Zinc, Calcium have added benefits. If the detergents take care of, or prevent ash buildup it's a win. It really doesn't matter the how much potential ash material is in the oil, what matters is if it solidifies on engine components.
Zinc by design seeks out hot spots, so it ends up on the crown, spark plug and combustion chamber dome. And it does matter.

I hereby nominate bwalker to be upgraded from Resident Hack to Resident Troll 1st Class !

28ro67r.jpg

I come back to Arboristsite and what do I find? An oil thread!!! With 140+ pages!!!

Two cycle oil is simple. It has to mix with gas. Stay in suspension. Go through the carb. Lubricate the bearings and bottom end. Go into the combustion chamber. Lube the top end. Help seal the piston rings. Combust and exit the exhaust in a state that will make the birds sing and the flowers bloom. Simple, really!

Two cycle engines run the gamut from water cooled relatively slow running engines to air cooled 20,000 + RPM screaming race engines. As much as we might think our work saws are screamers, they are middle of the road engines. Unless their only purpose is to cut cookies in competition. Race engines are oftentimes broken down and rebuilt after each race. I f I had to rebuild my work saw after every day of cutting, I would sit around at night and watch a screen with a picture of a fire on it. The only time I rev my saw up to full rpm is when I'm tuning them or revving up for a cut. Actually I lied. Sometimes I rev it up just for the hell of it. Most chainsaws produce the max HP at somewhere around 9000+ RPM. And by definition this is where they will produce the most work.

As someone pointed out to me earlier, the important point with 2 cycle engines and two cycle oil is the migration of oil through the engines. Middle of the road two cycle engines do not need uber high end and uber high viscosity race oils. They may in fact be counterproductive.

I'll finish this after. Wife is calling me for dinner. Priorities!

That's quite the testimonial. Unless there are significant performance gains to be found with a less viscous oil like Motul 710 or Maxima Super M, I see no reason for you to consider anything else. The only other reason I could think of would be the cost factor for someone doing that much cutting all the time.
Bingo. I don't think there's anything harder on saws than that. I used a pint or something like that of 710 3 years ago when I switched from ultra. Seems to be great stuff from what I remember.

Back