661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm am running K2 now as well. I wish the color was a dark blue or green as I am paranoid about running a saw on straight gas. Mobil mx2t drove me crazy in this regard too!
The color of K2 with "our" fuel is like a bright cool orange lol....kind of a trip honestly hahaha. Maxima 927 is enough to make one speculate if they mixed their fuel.

I will probably never settle on oil because I enjoy the subject.

K2 seems to be a good balance of combustion and protection to me anyways.

Speaking of 927. I know I've said this before but would running 927
at 40:1 be the ticket to avoid some ugly build up? I ran 5 gallons in the 441 last year and everything seemed alright only time would tell though. In my dirtbikes, once tuned 927 burned really well, carbon buildup was normal but then again bikes are different than saws....
Sent from my non internal combustion device.

The color of K2 with "our" fuel is like a bright cool orange lol....kind of a trip honestly hahaha. Maxima 927 is enough to make one speculate if they mixed their fuel.

I will probably never settle on oil because I enjoy the subject.

K2 seems to be a good balance of combustion and protection to me anyways.

Speaking of 927. I know I've said this before but would running 927
at 40:1 be the ticket to avoid some ugly build up? I ran 5 gallons in the 441 last year and everything seemed alright only time would tell though. In my dirtbikes, once tuned 927 burned really well, carbon buildup was normal but then again bikes are different than saws....
I can't say, but I have ran Klotz Super Techniplate at 40:1 in my bike and it was still pretty dirty. Castor is just dirty no matter how you look at it.

I can't say, but I have ran Klotz Super Techniplate at 40:1 in my bike and it was still pretty dirty. Castor is just dirty no matter how you look at it.
The smell of race day is hard to get away from lol.

May be buying a CR250 soon so I guess 927 will be used again lol

The smell of race day is hard to get away from lol.

May be buying a CR250 soon so I guess 927 will be used again lol

I have never smelled a better smell than Castor 927 and Cam2 race fuel!!

Mmmmmm... mmmmm.. Smells good enough to eat!

Oh the memories!

"Castor oil has an unusual composition and chemistry, which makes it quite valuable. Ninety percent of fatty acids in castor oil are ricinoleic acid. Ricinoleic acid, a monounsaturated, 18-carbon fatty acid, has a hydroxyl functional group at the twelveth carbon, a very uncommon property for a biological fatty acid. This functional group causes ricinoleic acid (and castor oil) to be unusually polar, and also allows chemical derivitization that is not practical with other biological oils. Since it is a polar dielectric with a relatively high dielectric constant (4.7), highly refined and dried Castor oil is sometimes used as a dielectric fluid within high performance high voltage capacitors. Castor oil also contains 3-4% of both oleic and linoleic acids.[1] "
Courtesy of Yahoo answers

I'm pretty sure castor oil is polar. This is only one source that I found, but it pretty well defines it.

Cleanliness is problematic because it will vary GREATLY based on how the saw is used, how it's tuned, if it's ported, and the kind of fuel used.

Great point here. People who enter the cut at half throttle and/ or run their saws with carbs that are tuned too rich will have more issues with carbon buildup over an operator who runs a saw at two speeds(WFO, Idle) and keeps the carb properly tuned

"Castor oil has an unusual composition and chemistry, which makes it quite valuable. Ninety percent of fatty acids in castor oil are ricinoleic acid. Ricinoleic acid, a monounsaturated, 18-carbon fatty acid, has a hydroxyl functional group at the twelveth carbon, a very uncommon property for a biological fatty acid. This functional group causes ricinoleic acid (and castor oil) to be unusually polar, and also allows chemical derivitization that is not practical with other biological oils. Since it is a polar dielectric with a relatively high dielectric constant (4.7), highly refined and dried Castor oil is sometimes used as a dielectric fluid within high performance high voltage capacitors. Castor oil also contains 3-4% of both oleic and linoleic acids.[1] "
Courtesy of Yahoo answers

I'm pretty sure castor oil is polar. This is only one source that I found, but it pretty well defines it.
You may be right, but I have never heard it described by such till this.

That is why it was used by racers. Its polar attribute allowed it to "attach" itself to hot metal. It changed composition as it went up in temperature until it eventually turned to varnish. Until it turned to varnish it offered lubricating qualities and protection that was superior to anything that was readily available to racers at the time. That is also why the engine had to be rebuilt after a race. It was protected during the course of the race, but it was pretty well gummed up by the end of the race.

That is one of the qualities of esters that make them useful in modern times. They are polar. The problems with some esters are they can be corrosive and some are hygroscopic. The reason that I looked at K2 is that it was formulated to be non corrosive and, I believe, non hygroscopic.

Why 710 over 800? How did you find the 800?

What I think is an educated guess. Perhaps others may think it stupid. I think it may be to viscous. The engineers at Motul specifically formulated 710 2T for the purpose at hand.
The opinions and results from this thread are quite interesting. From this IMO 710,800,Super M perhaps K2 are on my list but unsure of K2 from the smoke people claim. More toward motul and have since dropped H1R

How clean did you find your internals on 710 vs 800? Did you inspect at all?

Does anyone know if bearings give any kind of warnings in chainsaws before they fail? Vibrations? Drop in power? Noise?

Are bearing failures always catastrophic? Meaning taking out the whole top end.
They start to kinda rumble abit its quite obvious at idle , and yer if you keep going little bits of hard chrome and stuff generally scuff up pistons pretty bad and catch the gudgeon pin area of the piston and chip the tops of the transfer ports

Flatie

I did not use 800 2t in my saws. I ended up using it in bullet lube. The 800 2T on road, I believe, is way overboard for our purposes. The 800 2T off road may be usable, but my uneducated guess is that it may be too much for general use. Again, as I stated a long time ago, this is my opinion, for my use, in my saws for my purposes. I am not an oil chemist or oil engineer. Much of the information that one would need to make an absolute decision is proprietary. One can only speculate when looking at MSDS sheets, especially if the CAS # is "proprietary".
. I am using Motul 710 2T for the forseeable future. 710 2T is a replacement for a previous Motul oil. They may very well replace it in the future. Science and engineering does not stand still. Otherwise we would still be using 30 weight mineral oil.

image.jpg
They start to kinda rumble abit its quite obvious at idle , and yer if you keep going little bits of hard chrome and stuff generally scuff up pistons pretty bad and catch the gudgeon pin area of the piston and chip the tops of the transfer ports
image.jpg
This is out of my old race bike ktm 250sx , actually still ran really well believe it or not .. Purely from not enuff oil dealer and owners manual talked me into 50.1

Latest posts

Back