661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not ready to throw out H1-R just yet. Before we can say that it is unique in that it inhibits combustion, we must first test 800, and maybe K2, to see if they do the same. If they don't, then I will be done with H1-R. But, we don't know that yet.

Then we need to determine if oils like 710, Super M, Yamalube, and Lucas have a negative performance impact at 32:1.

If 800 has a significantly negative impact at 32:1 as H1-R does, and if the thinner oils do not, then I'm thinking I'd rather run the thinner oil at the heavier mix. I say this in consideration of better lubrication for the crank bearings.

But then that might be a contradiction. If 800 or H1-R have the same amount of oil at 40:1 as the thinner oils do at 32:1, then it's all a moot point, and you might as well run the better oil at 40:1.

There's LOTS of testing to be done!

I agree with all that. What do u think about the high concentration of corrosives in the race oils that bwalker keeps referring to? Negative impact if left in saw for extended periods?

I don't think there are corrosives in those oils. Years ago there was an issue with most ester oils in that they are hydroscopic and attract moisture. This would cause rusting of cranks and bearings, leading to failure. Most ester oils now have additives that prevent this. We should do our due diligence and confirm this with each oil, but I don't think it's a problem any more. BTW, Andre has addressed this several times. Bwalker had just been ignoring it and perpetuating the myth.

All fun stuff. I believe that the viscosity of an oil greatly determines the delivery ability of an Mtronic saw fuel to combustion chamber.

Ported saws need the strongest oil possible at the highest flow rate for maximum HP and longevity. Well all saws for that matter I guess.

Ultra is $57 a gallon plus tax FYI.

I don't know whether its #1 or not but Maxima K2/Super M or Lucas for me, its readily available and i can get it for the best price.

I think it's a mistake to throw R50 out. We have far too many positive experiences documented here to deny it.

Too thick to get into all the areas of a saw? I don't understand. The are two crank bearings, two rod bearings, and a cylinder wall. I can't remotely imagine that being an issue.

Glazing? Is that even possible on a NiSi plated cylinder?

With that said, I'm most interested in:
800 2T
R50
H1-R

Super M

Back